Pocketsnes Version 2

Reesy

Certified Guru
Website
reesy.gp32x.de
Here is version 2 of PocketSnes. This version fixes the following problems.

Diagnals now working.
Volume controls not working.
Reset game function not working.
Select button not working.

You now enter the menu by pressing VOL UP and VOL DOWN at the same time.

Super FX is still broken. I'm currently using the code fom Squidgesnes, so I'll swap in the code from PocketSnes and hopefully I can get it going again (even if it is slow ).

Downloads
http://reesy.gp32x.de/GP2X/PocketSnes_v2.zip
http://reesy.gp32x.de/GP2X/PocketSnes_v2_src.zip

Credits goto
Snes9x team - for creating the original Snes9x emulator from which squidgeSnes and PocketSnes are based.
Notaz - ASM sound core and lots and lots of other fixes
Squidge - PocketSnes uses alot of code from Squidgesnes, basically its Squidgesnes with the rendering code from PocketSnes.
Rlyeh - The SDK I use is based largely on the minimal lib created by Rlyeh.
Reesy - Menu system, that's right I handle the really complicated shit. :p

Later
Reesy

Thank you thank you THANK YOU!

My clients, of course, will not thank you. I am very busy at the moment, for some reason ...

Thanks soooo much for slapping this together. I'm about to set off for a 6 month hiking adventure with just the GP2X and would miss a lot of SNES RPG's otherwise.

Wow that was very fast!!! :eek:
Great! Downloading and installing now! Hey it is late and I need sleep, but I am going to try this anyway.
Playing one game of F Zero before I go to sleep. Excellent! :D

So nice to hear that!
I´ve just finished copyng the first version to my SD and a new version is out ;)

Wow... I'm annoyed my GP2X stick is still busted at this point... Great news to wake up to though!

I'm thinking... would anyone be brave enough to perform a DPAD mod on my 2X(for a fee of course and I would prefer if the click stick button functionality could be kept)

Errr ... this may just be me, but I can't get back into the menu once I've loaded a rom. I did just copy the new installation over the old one - might that have anything to do with it? Cos SELECT no longer returns to the menu for me.

Nice news to wake up with. Can't play until tomorrow because I left my battery charger somewhere else, but still. Playable FF3! :D

oh man, i had just started reading books again as i had ran out of snes rpgs that where playable due to transparencies...looks like the literature goes back on the shelf and the batteries back in the charger...

and i finished ff3/6 with the squidge emu - ran speedily for me, although the layer issue and transparencies meant it wasnt perfect

Ha! I clicked on my GP32x link today saying to myself "I wonder if there is anything new and exiting in the GP2X world?" And low and behold I see this - new fanastic emu for my favorite system.

Loading it up, at first I was thinking, oh this is slower than before :( Then I realised the clock speed was only set to 200 :)
I always use Secret of Mana as my test - the menu's at the start seems scrambled for me - I dont think it's a problem with my rom so I'm not sure what's wrong with it. But once you get ingame - OMG working transparancies! This is the first time I've seen the waterfall from the intro looking proper since the late 90's :)
At 260Mhz I get ~14fps with transparncies on and ~24fps with it off. I'm leaving them on and thankfully it's still very playable with the frameskip. (Very excited!)

Oh and Crono Trigger is looking very playable too :)

Mario Kart seems to have taken a knock: at 270Mhz no transparencies I'm only getting ~6fps in GPmode.

Sooo cant wait to see where you take this Reesy! Thanks so much for your hard work.

Sometimes the FPS counter seems to get stuck, othewise awesome release!

Oh and Vol+and- for menu is a good idea, but it really took some time to figure out ;) A tiny readme would be nice ;)

Edit: :rolleyes: took me time to figure out because I didn't read the original post carefully enought :rolleyes:

Reesy - Menu system, that's right I handle the really complicated shit. :p

NICE. I really love your emulator, and you just made it better. Do you want me to fail my exams? :p

EDIT:
It seems that in "Chrono Trigger BS - Jet Bike Special (J).smc" the sound (not the emulation) runs too fast. (twice the speed?)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back