Release Pcsx-Rearmed

Thanks for the update :)

here's my retests:

SOTN - no change, still works great

Civ 2 - still hangs on loading screen

Front Mission 3 - still hangs on loading screen

Brave fencer Musashi - still has the voice over problem

FF8 - Now (partially) works!! no more getting stuck, and I can confirm that the world map works also. However, when you try to save, it says "no memory card" but with save state, I'll be staring a game and playing through it, I'll report any other errors I come across... Ugh, nevermind, it crashes when you get in a battle. The music changes and continues to play but the screen freezes, no amount of overclocking helps. (btw everything seemed close to full speed at 600 prior to this, 45fps in world map) I believe it's the battle splash screen causing the problem, right when that's suppose to happen is when it freezes and you never actually see any of it, it just freezes the world map shot.

Gundam battle assault 2 - now loads the Ban Dai logo and then freezes there.

Spiderman 2 - Now Works! Graphics smooth and sound a little choppy in cut scenes at 600. In game voice overs are similar to brave fencer, choppy even at high mhz. game play itself is a bit slow (24fps) at 600, fps stays around 30 with 700mhz, 800mhz and your in the 40's. I couldn't play to far into the game because you need R2 for webs and the keymapping bug still remains.

Megaman Legends - still has the freeze up on the capcom screen followed by the weird sound glitches

Megaman X4 - still good to go (50+fps @ 600mhz)

Suikoden 2 - still has the menu text glitch and the game save loading error

Wild Arms 2 - still freezes after starting a new game

Tenchu 1 - Still good, 55+fps in game @600mhz, cut scenes could use some reving tho.

Star Ocean 2 - Saving and loading now work! getting 60 fps in the openning map mode and great sound @600 mhz, pre-game was a little slow. in battle requires more mhz, 700 gets high 50's with some slow downs (death scenes). best to run at 800+

I have a ton of other games that I could test, mostly rpg's, any specific game anyone's interested in having tested?

Gruntfuggly said:
Has anybody tried any of the Tomb Raider games yet?
I'll try it a bit later tonight.
Something tells me thought that it uses a particular type of emulation (processing) that wasn't supported by Zod's version...
I can't remember, but I'll try it maybe Notaz's updated helped.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ari64 said:
notaz said:
Noatz - just sent you a small donation. :)
Bosbeetle said:
ps. donated a little, merry psx-mas
Thanks!

MonkeyChops said:
it crashes when you get in a battle.
A savestate before it happens would help to debug it.

MonkeyChops said:
I couldn't play to far into the game because you need R2 for webs and the keymapping bug still remains.
What keymapping bug?

Donation sent today notaz :)

Lots of re-tests to add later but I just noticed a bug(?) in that when you leave the emu, having used an OC setting in a game, (not just if you enter the emu UI and leave again (despite a global OC'd config in place)), the OC setting remains upon the Pandora OS. It isnt being killed off when PCSX is finished with. This would make a silent battery drain. Does this need fixing?

Thanks for correcting the 'global config' settings and implementing 'per game emu settings' and the 'r2' update in general, as many games have become very playable indeed.

I also hope my use of "worse", "better", "same" wasnt taken as any offense, it was simply a yardstick comparison term for which emu is currently playing a given game better.

Thanks Notaz,
I wish you happy holidays - and to all the crew ...and all passengers at this funny voyage...

greetz

Hi all, hope your all having a nice break!

Thanks Notaz this emulator is looking really great already. I know this is going to turn into a real jem (it already is for some games)

Here are some of my findings with the emulator so far.

-Crash bandicoot 3 - USA working 100% on level 2 gets a little slow in the underwater parts, finished world 1 with no errors

-Pandemonium USA - Working fine fullspeed played to level 4

-Rayman PAL/USA - Boots game and freezes at Ubisoft logo CD Audio can be heard playing. One of my fav games lets hope this is easy to fix

-Skullmonkeys USA - quits emulator, this is a fantastic game it seems to be problematic in many emulators. This is my fav platform game on the PSX

-Resident Evil Directors Cut PAL - freezes after first screen

-Tekken 3 PAL - seems fine no CD Audio but I think it's my rip

-Resident Evil 2 Leon PAL - Working superbly

Will try some more out throughout the next days

Thanks again for this guys

PS all tests were done at 600 MHZ I tried overclocking on the games that didn't work and toggle the PAL setting

PokeParadox said:
Tomb Raider games 1 and 2 crash at gameplay, menus working - PAL versions...
Also frameskips settings don't save for me.
Tomb raider games 1, 2 and 5 all crash at menu screen.... working to see if 3 and 4 do the same

You don't know jack works perfectly though...

Soul Reaver works.... although audio is choppy and game play is slow... still playable

notaz, seems as if the src of the wiz/caanoo - pcsx is released: chui.dcemu.co.uk . Could this be helping improving this emulator?

TJFBryant said:
PokeParadox said:
Tomb Raider games 1 and 2 crash at gameplay, menus working - PAL versions...
Also frameskips settings don't save for me.
Tomb raider games 1, 2 and 5 all crash at menu screen.... working to see if 3 and 4 do the same

You don't know jack works perfectly though...

Soul Reaver works.... although audio is choppy and game play is slow... still playable

How did you get Soul Reaver to work? Mine seems to hang when selecting a memory card after starting a new game?

Lobo said:
Colin Mcrae 2 PAL works for me.
So does Driver 2, at least Take a ride mode does.

My Colin McRae worked fine when I tried it the next time(no idea what changed). I'm getting over 20fps in game at 800mhz, some very slight slowdown evident

notaz said:
MonkeyChops said:
it crashes when you get in a battle.
A savestate before it happens would help to debug it.
Here you go:
http://www.mediafire...ig57zcs00go985v
just walk around for like 1 sec and you'll get in a battle. BTW, this is the Pal NTSC version of ff8.

notaz said:
MonkeyChops said:
I couldn't play to far into the game because you need R2 for webs and the keymapping bug still remains.
What keymapping bug?
Similar to this:
DaveC said:
The Key binding thing is a bit weird too. I accidentally assigned the wrong button to the A button while messing around now I can't get the standard PSX config back. If I try to bind circle to "B" as it should be it also switches Square to B as well. I Don't know why it did that, I wasn't binding Square, why did it change that too? So now if I try to change Square back to A like it should be, it also changes Circle to A again! What the hell? I can't get it back and it keeps binding two PSX buttons to the same Pandora button no matter what. Must be a bug? I tried to find the file where this was saved as maybe I could hack the config file for the controls but I don't know where it is hidden.
I try to bind L2 to "P" and it also binds R2 to P while unbinding all other buttons. When I try to rebind UP, it rebinds all keys except L2 and R2 which get unbind instead.

[edit] ok, I guess it is the NTSC version of ff8, I thought that's what it was but then second guessed myself when I realized that changing the emulator's setting to pal fixed a small glitch with the intro video. The video would hang every 5 seconds or so for a split sec and then continue, possible bug?

@Notaz

did you take into account the special case of "load delay-slot" (the instruction after a LW) in this emulator? Since ARI64's dynarec was for MIPS R4k and not for MIPS R3k, it may lead to some issues if some games are relying upon this special case.

hlide said:
@notaz

did you take into account the special case of "load delay-slot" (the instruction after a LW) in this emulator? Since ARI64's dynarec was for MIPS R4k and not for MIPS R3k, it may lead to some issues if some games are relying upon this special case.
Nope... My code does not emulate load delay slots, and I don't see any changes related to this in Notaz's port.

Also I don't know what is supposed to happen if you execute a JAL or BGEZAL instruction and access the link register in the delay slot, nor did I try to handle branches in the branch delay slot.

MonkeyChops said:
I try to bind L2 to "P" and it also binds R2 to P while unbinding all other buttons. When I try to rebind UP, it rebinds all keys except L2 and R2 which get unbind instead.
It's just display thing, if you look at lower side it shows gpio-keys or keypad, which seen as separate devices by Linux, you can switch between them by pressing left/right. I should probably somehow make it less confusing,

Ari64 said:
hlide said:
@notaz

Nope... My code does not emulate load delay slots, and I don't see any changes related to this in Notaz's port.
Right, and it doesn't look like an awful lot of games rely on this, I haven't encountered any at all but I'm still going through list of reported broken games though.

notaz said:
Right, and it doesn't look like an awful lot of games rely on this, I haven't encountered any at all but I'm still going through list of reported broken games though.
I hope you don't find any; accurately emulating load delay slots in a dynamic recompiler is quite a complex task.

Ari64 said:
notaz said:
I hope you don't find any; accurately emulating load delay slots in a dynamic recompiler is quite a complex task.
I always wonder that even if you test a bunch of games and they seem to work ok that you still may run into problems later in the game. I get the feeling that you may get half way through some big RPG or something then it uses this function for some reason causing it to freeze and make it impossible to finish. GPsP comes to mind where you can get all of the way to the last boss in Zelda then it locks up due to an unsupported function being used.

Back