Release Pcsx-Rearmed

funny, it seems that in many Games, "special functions" always come into play later in the games. Bug or Feature? ^^
You should expect if a emulated game works the first quarter or even half without any problems, it also should run till the end. But maybe the Devs were in a "lets save the weirdest functions and most twisted console hardcore algorithms for the last Boss". :D

However, the games I usualy play (and finish!) via Emulators never had such problems. If they had glitches, they had these glitches from the beginning.
By the way thanx for GPSP and PicoDrive and all the other Emulators for all these wonderful moments returning from my Video Game past. :) When I finaly have my Pandora (in two months)... I hope I can decide which PSX Emulator I use, I actualy hate decissions! :D If one is the best, tell me then. Or merge all (3?) available PSX Emus into one Perfect PSX Emulator, makes it more easy for me. ;)

Like notaz, I was getting a little depressed with the state of Playstation emulation on the Pandora, and I don't even have mine yet! So I'm glad he's taken up the torch, has released the source for those curious devs out there, and already it looks to be a good project. Thanks again notaz; I'm really hoping that I'll get that shipping email in the next couple of months.

Ari64 said:
hlide said:
@notaz

did you take into account the special case of "load delay-slot" (the instruction after a LW) in this emulator? Since ARI64's dynarec was for MIPS R4k and not for MIPS R3k, it may lead to some issues if some games are relying upon this special case.
Nope... My code does not emulate load delay slots, and I don't see any changes related to this in Notaz's port.

Also I don't know what is supposed to happen if you execute a JAL or BGEZAL instruction and access the link register in the delay slot, nor did I try to handle branches in the branch delay slot.

if I'm not wrong, R3k is a 5-stage pipeline (IF/ID/EX/MEM/WB). RA is read at ID stage and written at WB stage. The delay slot starts at ID stage of the branch-and-link instruction, so I guess RA in delay slot would be read BEFORE the branch-and-link instruction modifies it at its WB-stage. If delay slot modifies RA (say, ADDU RA,RA,...), RA modified by branch-and-link instruction may be considered as lost.

For branch in a delay slot it's harder to guess : but it seems PC is always updated at ID stage, so it looks like PC will be the value modified by the branch in the delay slot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Notaz...

This is nothing short of amazing :) Donation (rn: P.Edwards) should be in your paypal acc. now.
Thank you and happy new year!

-(e)

With all these donations to Notaz, I'm wondering if Ari64 is getting any love for his recompiler.

Are the memcards from zod's emulator compatible with this one?

Edit: nevermind... just renamed the file extension and they work.

But for some freason the frameskip setting doesn't stick for me. I'd like to turn it on but as soon as I resume the game it's turned off.

WizardStan said:
With all these donations to Notaz, I'm wondering if Ari64 is getting any love for his recompiler.

Excellent point. If someone can give me his paypal address I'll donate the same to him.
-(e)

sweetlilmre said:
WizardStan said:

Excellent point. If someone can give me his paypal address I'll donate the same to him.
-(e)

Yep, the same. For our amazing N64 emulator.

Sweet MDK works full speed. I am really happy right now!

Also I tried Driver USA but gets stuck at the menu screen reading memory card data.

Time for a bit more MDK action I think

I will send donations to both Notaz and Ari64 next month. I'm a little stretched ATM with xmas and all.

I loaded up he game expecting it to crash or have major GFX issues and am very happily surprised

I tried some more gamed today

Loaded USA - works full speed with CD audio at 500mhz game wont load if OC but you can OC after the game is loaded maybe a timing issue

Croc USA - works full speed with CD audio cut scene's freeze with corrupt image then skips to the main menu fine ingame at 1GHZ

Urban chaos - Also full speed no issues

Crash 3 - My girlfriend loves this one I think there is a bug in game were the music goes slow this is not a stutter and going from 800 to 1ghz does nothing to improve.

Wipeout - Full speed

To get full speed with CD audio I OC to 1ghz. music gets very slightly jumpy in busy areas in all games so far.

I'm using an external speaker to enjoy the music the quality of sound is really good

Looks superb.
Just played a bit GT2 which ran fine, only the textures on the cars are missing.

notaz said:
MooTheKow said:
Just curious - what was going on with the Lunar hang?
It's using PSX framebuffer scissoring thing (not sure if that has more formal name) which caused unaligned NEON store in my bgr->rgb converter.
FYI Notaz: just cloned and tried building it on my device ...
Code:
pupnik@archos-gen8:~/dev$ date
Sun Jan  2 01:20:58 GMT 2011
pupnik@archos-gen8:~/dev$ git clone git://notaz.gp2x.de/~notaz/pcsx_rearmed.git
Cloning into pcsx_rearmed...
remote: Counting objects: 1260, done.
remote: Compressing objects: 100% (688/688), done.
remote: Total 1260 (delta 638), reused 1130 (delta 552)
Receiving objects: 100% (1260/1260), 2.20 MiB | 208 KiB/s, done.
Resolving deltas: 100% (638/638), done.
pupnik@archos-gen8:~/dev/pcsx_rearmed$ make
fatal: cannot describe '3a255ce52a55a2065429b8baad000c72aed31e97'
gcc -o pcsx libpcsxcore/cdriso.o libpcsxcore/cdrom.o libpcsxcore/cheat.o libpcsxcore/debug.o libpcsxcore/decode_xa.o libpcsxcore/disr3000a.o libpcsxcore/gte.o libpcsxcore/mdec.o libpcsxcore/misc.o libpcsxcore/plugins.o libpcsxcore/ppf.o libpcsxcore/psxbios.o libpcsxcore/psxcommon.o libpcsxcore/psxcounters.o libpcsxcore/psxdma.o libpcsxcore/psxhle.o libpcsxcore/psxhw.o libpcsxcore/psxinterpreter.o libpcsxcore/psxmem.o libpcsxcore/r3000a.o libpcsxcore/sio.o libpcsxcore/socket.o libpcsxcore/spu.o libpcsxcore/new_dynarec/new_dynarec.o libpcsxcore/new_dynarec/linkage_arm.o libpcsxcore/new_dynarec/pcsxmem.o libpcsxcore/new_dynarec/emu_if.o plugins/dfsound/adsr.o plugins/dfsound/dma.o plugins/dfsound/oss.o plugins/dfsound/reverb.o plugins/dfsound/xa.o plugins/dfsound/freeze.o plugins/dfsound/cfg.o plugins/dfsound/registers.o plugins/dfsound/spu.o plugins/dfxvideo/cfg.o plugins/dfxvideo/fps.o plugins/dfxvideo/key.o plugins/dfxvideo/prim.o plugins/dfxvideo/gpu.o plugins/dfxvideo/menu.o plugins/dfxvideo/soft.o plugins/dfxvideo/zn.o plugins/dfxvideo/draw_fb.o plugins/cdrcimg/cdrcimg.o gui/Plugin.o frontend/main.o frontend/plugin.o frontend/plugin_lib.o frontend/menu.o frontend/linux/fbdev.o frontend/linux/in_evdev.o frontend/linux/plat.o frontend/linux/oshide.o frontend/common/fonts.o frontend/common/input.o frontend/common/readpng.o frontend/plat_dummy.o -lz -lpthread -ldl -lpng -Wl,-Map=pcsx.map
plugins/dfxvideo/draw_fb.o: In function `blit':
/home/pupnik/dev/pcsx_rearmed/plugins/dfxvideo/draw_fb.c:73: undefined reference to `bgr888_to_rgb888'
/home/pupnik/dev/pcsx_rearmed/plugins/dfxvideo/draw_fb.c:80: undefined reference to `bgr555_to_rgb565'
frontend/menu.o: In function `menu_prepare_emu':
/home/pupnik/dev/pcsx_rearmed/frontend/menu.c:1187: undefined reference to `plat_video_menu_leave'
frontend/menu.o: In function `menu_leave_emu':
/home/pupnik/dev/pcsx_rearmed/frontend/menu.c:1182: undefined reference to `plat_video_menu_enter'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [pcsx] Error 1
if this is something stupid on my side, please let me know...

Just a quick note to say thanks and have just sent a donation your way. Keep up the good work, looking forward to trying this when I get my Pandora.

Thanks everyone!

sweetlilmre said:
WizardStan said:
-(e)
Agreed, his work is one of most advanced dynarecs used for console emulation.

pupnik said:
FYI Notaz: just cloned and tried building it on my device ...
pupnik@archos-gen8:~/dev$ date
Uh oh, you are doing native compilation. You'll need to edit Makefile ifdef CROSS_COMPILE sections, and I'll need to think how to handle this better.

Damn you emulator folk are smart :)

I love listening to your tech discourse as you hammer out arcane bits of knowledge the rest of us just stare blankly at... I really do wonder how you guys came into this level of knowledge....most impressive...

Anywhoo, played a bunch of games on this last night, and I have to say this could be a killer app for the pandora....There are no other psx emu's out there with this level of polish...It's beautiful...you made playing the psx games as simple as your picodrive experience...The games it plays well are stunning....Well done you guys...

authoreyes said:
Damn you emulator folk are smart :)

I love listening to your tech discourse as you hammer out arcane bits of knowledge the rest of us just stare blankly at... I really do wonder how you guys came into this level of knowledge....most impressive...

A general interest and lots of time to read and play around with it will get you far. I'm not anywhere near their level, but at least I understand what they're talking about.

I can't get the frameskip setting to skip.... But I love you Notaz :D

Here's my experience...

Lunar 2: Seems to run slower than zodd's emulator. The sound seems like it's in slow motion or something, but this might be due to zod's emulator not emulating accuratley

Crash 2: Seems to run great

Alundra: Can't start a new game just hangs at loading screen. (maybe I need to wait longer?)

r2: Megaman X6 runs well at 800mhz; sound stutter and some chugging at 500mhz. Runs great!

(I haven't had time to be near electronics much with the holidays etc .. but of the few PSX games I've tried, none really worked until this one; glad to find a working one :)

jeff

First of all, Thanks Notaz and Ari. It is like Magic what you are doing :)

Then I have a small question :) At Options you can set the CPU speed, is that one working?
Or do I have to set CPU speed the normal way? :)

Holliefant said:
Then I have a small question :) At Options you can set the CPU speed, is that one working?
Or do I have to set CPU speed the normal way? :)
Works for me, might not work above 900MHz though, because op_cpuspeed.sh is limited to that for some reason.

Back