Release PCSX ReARMed, with a new GPU

notaz

Certified Guru
Website
notaz.gp2x.de
After months of development it finally happened, PCSX ReARMed got a new GPU emulation code! It was designed and coded by no other but our own Exophase, and it believe me, it's good.

So what what's so good about this GPU code?

• High performance - vast majority of games are now fullspeed at default 600MHz with no frameskip.
  • High accuracy - in many cases it's pixel perfect, a feat no other open source GPU has. It's output was compared with various real hardware dumps.
  • Makes heavy use NEON SIMD engine.
On the other hand, your max overclock for this emu will slightly drop again, so if you get crashes, lower it a bit. I suggest not to overclock at all unless it's really needed, i.e. it's not 100% fullspeed without overclock, which is only true for minority of games now.
This was sort of our team project with Exophase, where he designed in implemented the code, and I assisted him with hardware tests/dumps and general testing. You might notice quality increase for some games, like smoother color gradients (skies and shadows) because dithering is implemented now. As an example of graphic improvements, try Silent Hill, it's looking much better now, also underwater effects in MGS intro. However because it aims to be pixel perfect, it's still renders in game's native resolution, not pandora's.

Other than the new GPU it's bugfixes mostly.

Edit: now updated to r13, a bugfix release.

Edit: and now r14, minor GLES plugin fixup release.

Edit: it's updated again, get the latest from the repo:

http://repo.openpand...x_rearmed.notaz

Last edited by a moderator:
Wooot, awesome, thanks a lot :)

Of course, a big thanks to Exophase as well :)

What a nice christmas present :)

This is what I'm talking about.

Exophase/Notaz, what else is there to say...........

MERRY FUCKING CHRISTMAS! :lol: You guys are a true asset to this community! Now I might have to get a bigger SD card, but these are problems I like to have.

Chris

WOW, this emu SCREAMS now!

Thank you so much for such a wonderful Christmas present guys.

Notaz, You always know how to deliver the goods during the holidays.

I don't want to sound ungrateful, but is there any chance you, Exophase, and Ari64 can pull your collective genius and deliver something like this for N64 by next Christmas? The wait would be well worth it! ;)

I'm a little broke right now due to the holidays, but after the new year expect another donation. You guys are the best, and thanks again. This is why I bought the Pandora so many years ago, full speed PSX emulation at default clock speed. AWESOME!

Chris

You guys are fantastic. What more can I say? :)

Thanks muchly, and Merry Christmas to you both. :D

Waow, thanks so much for your hard work, you guys ara totally awsome :D , first thing I will do tomorrow is play some Ps1 games in my Pandora.

Merry Christmas to all the coders and thanks again for making such kickass software. :)

...and a very merry christmas (or other holiday of choice) to you, too!!!

Thank you very much, and have a Merry Xmas!

Does this mean anything for Wiz as well? Someone I know said they would by my Wiz if and only if FF8 ran full speed.

Edit: A good 10% drop in CPU usage in Legend of Dragoon, I can only overclock to 0.95 Ghz though, not a problem though!

any chance of exophase netplay beign implemented into pcsx rearmed as well?

i also +1 what Jumpman said about n64 and add a $50 donation if we can get n64 even 75% of what pcsx reamred is

Does this mean anything for Wiz as well? Someone I know said they would by my Wiz if and only if FF8 ran full speed.

Wiz/Caanoo lack neon support so no it would not help.

Might just be me but the n64 comments seem lame to me, these guys put out a real decent work and theres already requests for more? Lets enjoy this for a bit.

Might just be me but the n64 comments seem lame to me, these guys put out a real decent work and theres already requests for more? Lets enjoy this for a bit.
I didn't mean any disrespect in my request, Pickle. The work you guys all do is beyond thanks.

It was kind of meant to be taken lightly, since I said it would be a good gift for "next Christmas".

Thanks again Notaz/Exophase this is really an excellent emu, and I'm enjoying it greatly.

Chris

I didn't mean any disrespect in my request, Pickle. The work you guys all do is beyond thanks.

It was kind of meant to be taken lightly, since I said it would be a good gift for "next Christmas".

Just though id say something before the next 5 pages become +1's ;-)

Just though id say something before the next 5 pages become +1's ;-)
Point Well Taken! :D

Chris

- emulator crashed while playing tekken3

- when starting Gran Turismo 2 screens not showing then fails to start game

- crashed while loading Driver

doh just re-read OP, above all clocked at 800mhz, i should lower clock?

yep just clocked to 600 mhz all fine and dandy now!

edit3/

nope getting problems, when i set global clock to 600 Gran Turismo 2 loadsokay but then when starting race everything slows down and emulator crashes?

edit 4/

driver seems to run fine now but GT2 still crashing when starting a race - it loads up fine

Back