Pandora 2 Concept

kuru said:
Alternatively called *COUGHS*clit mouse.

appropriate_term.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Clean3d said:
craigix said:
The new Mac laptops have a better solution, the pad IS the button.
Actually I don't care for it much. It's stylish, but it's rather unintuitive for folks who've used computers before ("where's the button? how do I click?"). Dragging icons/files is also a pain because you'll get something halfway across the screen and run out of space on the trackpad. Previously, you could just hold down the button and move your fingers to keep going, but now... Hmm. Maybe it's possible to put down a second finger to hold the trackbutton down and lift the first one up... have to try that.

You do get a larger trackpad, though, so that's cool.

I *think* you can set it up so the two buttons are still at the bottom and the top part is still the pad, like a classic setup. I still have a normal pad.

craigix said:
Clean3d said:
craigix said:
The new Mac laptops have a better solution, the pad IS the button.
Actually I don't care for it much. It's stylish, but it's rather unintuitive for folks who've used computers before ("where's the button? how do I click?"). Dragging icons/files is also a pain because you'll get something halfway across the screen and run out of space on the trackpad. Previously, you could just hold down the button and move your fingers to keep going, but now... Hmm. Maybe it's possible to put down a second finger to hold the trackbutton down and lift the first one up... have to try that.

You do get a larger trackpad, though, so that's cool.

I *think* you can set it up so the two buttons are still at the bottom and the top part is still the pad, like a classic setup. I still have a normal pad.

It is typically one finger click is left click, two finger click is right click. One finger swipe moves the mouse, two finger swipe scrolls, three finger swipe may do something depending on the application or you can program it with multiclutch (it does forward/back/reload for me in firefox), four finger swipe is a Desktop level action.

If you are draging something around the desktop it's really not that bad; the easiest way is still to use two fingers. First, you can click and drag it a bit with the one finger, then hold the first finger in place, while keeping it clicked down, and then use a second finger to continue moving your item. I like being able to click anywhere on the pad (well, almost anywhere, it gets progressively more difficult to click the further up the pad you try to click) because it means less moving around of your hand to find something and click on it. With the touchpad, it's move to item then push down. After a short adjustment period, it becomes more intuitive (and the multiclutch programmable thing is nice).

second exodous said:
I really hope that the nubs on the Pandora will work as good as a Trackpoint

Problem with that is that the Trackpoints use pressure transducers. The pointer thingy doesn't actually move when you push on it.

My brother has a Model M with a trackpoint and two mouse buttons. The weird thing is, the mouse buttons don't give a satisfying click like the keys do...
Also we were thinking of sticking a beagle board in it, but I doubt we will.

Tensuke said:
My brother has a Model M with a trackpoint and two mouse buttons. The weird thing is, the mouse buttons don't give a satisfying click like the keys do...

Please don't ruin that beautiful, beautiful keyboard that way. :p

Those are actually worth a pretty penny now.

darien said:
kuru said:
Alternatively called *COUGHS*clit mouse.

appropriate_term.png

That's hilarious!

I thought they were called "Tiger Eyes" though.

... It may have been a lie told to me.

musicalwoods said:
Tensuke said:

Please don't ruin that beautiful, beautiful keyboard that way. :p

Those are actually worth a pretty penny now.

Indeed. Do you (or your brother) want to sell it? :D

second exodous said:
atomicthumbs said:
A Trackpoint would be my dream
Trackpoint! that's what they're called, the Tinkpad nubs. Now I can see if anyone makes a USB keyboard with them.

I really hope that the nubs on the Pandora will work as good as a Trackpoint, I think havening one on the Pandora2 plus two nubs would be a little much. Maybe when picking the nubs for Pandora2 Trackpoint functionality should be taken into account.

EDIT: They're made!
lenovo_thinkpad_usb_trackpoint_keyboard-2.jpg

Not needing to move your hands from they keyboard ever again! I was worried when Leveno bought IBM's notebook division the Trackpoint would go the way of the Dodo.

But as far a the Pandora2 needing one I hope that the Pandora nubs will do.

You can get a new Model M with USB from Unicomp:

http://www.pckeyboard.com

My top 3 changes would be a newer SoC for CPU/RAM, OLED screen, and HDMI out (provided you can run in high resolution if plugged to a large monitor, to use it like a normal PC).

Second tier would be GPS, tilt sensor, and camera (possibly 2 cameras like DSi).

I love the control layout as it is, so no changes there aside from maybe some LEDs behind the keys. L2/R2 would be nice, but I don't think there's enough room to make them comfortable.

Also, a 1TB SD card to use with it would be nice :D

dekutree64 said:
My top 3 changes would be a newer SoC for CPU/RAM, OLED screen, and HDMI out (provided you can run in high resolution if plugged to a large monitor, to use it like a normal PC).

Second tier would be GPS, tilt sensor, and camera (possibly 2 cameras like DSi).

I love the control layout as it is, so no changes there aside from maybe some LEDs behind the keys. L2/R2 would be nice, but I don't think there's enough room to make them comfortable.

Also, a 1TB SD card to use with it would be nice :D
That's how I would prioritize features also. Maybe I would put multi-touch into tier 2.

Since I intend to use my Pandora for more then gaming, the thing I want most is a higher resolution screen. This of course would also require a larger screen. I have made a printout of the bottom part of the Pandora so I can say that I think it can be made slightly bigger and still be comfortable. A bigger Pandora could also mean larger keys, I wonder what a 10% increase in key width would mean for typing as I haven't even tried the existing keys. Anyway, who would say no to a 720p screen? OLED would be sweet of course.

A camera would be useful, and convenient to be able to use any pictures taken directly. Perfect for all the bloggers out there. But the camera would have to be really good or I would rather use a regular digital camera. Since more and more people are getting HD TVs these days, HDMI would be a nice feature. I wonder if an adjustable keyboard backlight would work? And how cool it would be with a glowing blue Pandora logo on the back.

And how about adding in 3 keys on the keyboard while we are at it? Adding 2 keys to the upper row and 1 to the middle row and we could have things like a dedicated Tab button where it is supposed to be and a right side Shift key. If you make the Pandora wider but not scaling up the numeric keys then you could fit in a dedicated Esc key where it belongs. I wonder if one could make room for a thin wide space bar at the bottom if the Pandora was bigger? Maybe you would have to make all large keys slightly thinner to allow for a 4th row? You could add 2 CTRL and 2 ALT (do you need ALT? Maybe Compose instead?) down there (and 2 Fn?). Then you could also put , and . where they belong. Less normal people would freak out if the keyboard was more like what they are used to.

I'll have to use the Pandora for a while before I can comment on what keys it needs. I really wish that TAB was given it's own key, TAB is used a ton in Linux. To fix that I'll just map the lowermost game button to TAB when not in a game as I'll need it in terminal only environments(no GUI).

I don't like the idea of making the Pandora2 bigger, I think it's plenty big. The top row looks like it could have two more keys, one on each end. I always want to take a closer look at the PCB and see why there aren't 2 more keys but never remember to.

I don't think Pandora2 needs a higher resolution screen if it remains the same size, things are already pretty small on it. HDMI out will in a way solve the screen real estate problem, when sitting in front of a monitor/TV you'll have more than enough room, just not on the go unfortunately.

Bottom line is I'm guessing here, I'll have to use my Pandora for a while before I can say much.

Awakening said:
...A bigger Pandora...
to the contrary, I think, that Pandora should keep exactly the same size of keys and screen, but be smaller: just cut off all the remaining edges which are on sides of keyboard & screen. After cutting there still will be some extra margins on both sides of screen - so then - expand the screen to fit that space. And move speakers to front side - on left & right of the SDHC slots. This would result in a Pandora smaller by about 1cm and with a larger screen.

second exodous said:
The top row looks like it could have two more keys, one on each end. I always want to take a closer look at the PCB and see why there aren't 2 more keys but never remember to.
IIRC the reason wasn't the PCB, but thumbs using the nubs.

Apart from built-in gps, which would merely give it a higher gadget factor (but I like high gadget factors), I would quite like a little, not very amazing camera.
Not for taking picture for a magazine or on the wall, you'd need something... well, bigger fits the term, for that.
No, for reminders of things. I mean, seeing a classified ad in a mall, or quickly taking a snapshot of a car you see with a 'for sale' sign behind a window.
And for QR-codes/Semacodes. That would be most useful.

Blame incoherency of post on time of day.

all 8 leds installed by default, and they will be RGB leds, so any color of choice!

thats my only idea, except more powerful arm core, more ram etc, and oh, multitouch.

but thats just the obvious!

... gigabit ethernet? :p

In order of importance/realism:

Maintain the openness, keyboard, controls, ext port, form factor.

Upgrades: Use the next (and best) generation OMAP available, SDXC readers, USB 3.0 (and 2.0 and 1.1), Wifi 802.11n, Bluetooth 3.0, if there are better screens (i.e. good under sunlight / more resolution / multitouch) use it, a new technology battery (nano-technology) if out by then, rgb leds ;).

Additions: Tiny accelerometer, hdmi out if possible, little webcam.

If space and/or money permits it: gps, 4g.

Wolenber said:
joseluisjazz said:
USB 3.0 (and 2.0 and 1.1)

How dare you mention that without thinking about adding Light Peak.

I'm really looking forward to that technology, now that I know of it... :)

Hypothetically, if a Pandora 2 were to be developed and this technology widespread by that time, one could potentially just make use of a Light Peak-to-USB adaptor or hub of some kind to allow for backwards-compatibility. That's just speculation, of course, but consolidating all the different connection types is an attractive idea, especially in a mobile environment like the Pandora...

Back