Pandora 2 Concept

Thinking about a larger Pandora I checked out the size of the new DSi XL: 161 x 91.4 mm. Compare that to the Pandora at 140 x 83 mm. The screen is about 90 x 55 mm now and the keys are about 10 x 8 mm. Imagine increasing the size of the Pandora with 20 x 10 mm, the screen could become about 30% larger (if I calculated correctly) and the keys about 15% wider with 1 additional row of keys. If you are planning on using it for things other then games then such increases would improve efficiency.

Fixed your link for you.

We won't be seeing devices with those chips until well into 2011. By that time, OP may be looking into options for a next revision Pandora, but they'll probably be looking at the next gen chip after that one.

Thanks Chip!

Its a great looking time frame!
I want my OP to be current for at least 16 months! I hate companies bringing new devices every year!

It's not a time frame, just a guess. As I've said several times before, nobody is going to start worrying about a Pandora 2 until the current Pandora project at least breaks even. I wouldn't expect any actual work to go into it for at least a year, and I wouldn't be surprised if it were more than two. It's all speculation though. It all depends on how well the Pandora sells, and what sort of chips / parts become available when and at what price. It's hardly worth discussing right now, because anything could happen between now and then.

B-ZaR said:
I'm a bit worried about overheating issues... what kind of cooling would we have in the toaster section?

Well... Bread assisted cooling ? :p

Last edited by a moderator:
john4p said:
Pandora 2 should just use the same design as the Pandora I (only with a II printed somewhere) but use a CPU faster than 1 GHz and 1 GB RAM. Other than that it's perfect as it is.

Why not a dual-core Cortex A-9 instead of a faster-than-AGHz CPU ? Plus an updated 3D 720p-capable graphics, plus a reverseable screen as the TouchBook, we're close to perfection.

Chip said:
Fixed your link for you.

We won't be seeing devices with those chips until well into 2011. By that time, OP may be looking into options for a next revision Pandora, but they'll probably be looking at the next gen chip after that one.

Next gen Chip? You have a son or something? :p

With a more powerful Pandora maybe you could have a docking station at home connected to your charger, monitor, speakers, external HDD keyboard and mouse. So when you're home you just put your Pandora into the dock and you have a full desktop experience. That way you can have everything in one unit and bring all your work, music etc with you wherever you go

That funny picture inspired me to upload my design.
So here is what is most likely the best design of a handheld (gaming&computing) device (ie Pandora's lil bro).

I put in some specs for amusement (forgot to mention vibration at the bottom of device that makes it dance when put upright on a table)

Look at each detail closely as everything has a reason why its there in that spot, size, shape.

console.png

Eg huge screen = easier web browsing
Eg nub controls mouse = feature to turn off touchscreen -> power managment
Eg Slide tilt screen = give larger screen real estate, give more finger room for R&L buttons
Eg R2 & L2 buttons = more buttons for certain consoles/games ... or other feature like camera button, flash button, shortcut to home ... or just customizable
Eg 2 USB's = one can charge the phone while other connects as TV-out
Eg Scroll button = you mechanically change volume of console (not speakers) and at lowest point it clicks to activate "Vibrate Only"
Eg An inward folding support bracket = supports tilting of screen by locking it in a position to inhibit a weak slide of the screen (refer to N97)
Eg mini lights decorating most buttons (can be switched off) which respond to sound emitted from device
Eg infrared = (can switch off) more connectivity, use device as universal remote control
Eg device with matt silver hard-plastic housing = max protection with min weight + no fingerprints (refer to iPaq H2210)
Eg position of microphone = away from speakers
Eg lack of other buttons/keyboard = a more simple layout optimised for gaming and portability (so touch-keyboard)
Eg position of headset and USB inputs = not interfering with your grip of the console/touching you
Eg position of lanyard hole etc etc etc

Please dont diss my design it is awesomer than Pandora (I think). Could be Pandora successor. Any praise? Any suggestions?

EDIT: The only other feature I could think of giving it was: phone feature, 3G, video calling and GPS. 3G for accessing the net or App store and GPS for use with said softwares (eg TomTom or Destinator) not like iPhone's GPS (called Maps). But this wouldn't be fair. Eventhough the N900 has achieved this.

Some of the specs that I put up for my concept device is impossible (for now).
This includes:
Weight, in the future will we see better batteries?
Battery time, new batteries compensate or more effecient processor or more effecient screen (LCD or LED) or more intelligent power management
Performance, will new tech be powerful enough? (to emulate PSP games at least 80% normal rate)
Chips, will everything be able to fit into that compact device?

Well such a device in the drawing seems very accomplishable, but for now probably isnt (impossible is nothing).
If that was selling for about $450 (US) would you buy it?

Kangal said:
If that was selling for about $450 (US) would you buy it?

Considering I think one of the best selling points of the Pandora is the keyboard, it have double the battery life of yours and yet I bought a spare and the fact that I think the Pandora could be made slightly larger while yours is slightly smaller? And you want me to pay more for yours? I would say no :D

Yeah, no. $330 for the Pandora as it is is about my limit. If it didn't fill a niche I was looking for, I would have gone with something else. Your ideas cost more and fill the same niche the Pandora does, so I'll have to pass on it.

And for some reason it says screen is both TFT and OLED ;)

I only noticed after I uploaded, then it was too late.
Most PPC's (eg HTC and iPaq) from what I've seen have TFT and these look really beautiful even under sunlight.
But then again I READ somewhere that new samsung phones use OLED because of power.
So for the screen it is either depending on how good OLED looks under sunlight and how much power it saves.
I'm not debating either way.

I just couldn't convince myself that having a keyboard is worth it, if your a layman and having a keyboard means that it becomes much more larger imho.
But another alternative (best of both worlds) is to keep the design as it is but have a keyboard that attaches to the bottom (like Motion plus onto a Wii-mote)
I just made this new sketch to illustrate my point. For those who want a keyboard get the attachment, others dont get it. For the confused, get it but choose when to take it with you and when to leave it at home. Cause you cant rip off a chunk from the Pandora and make it smaller, but this device is already small and if you want u just add the attachment to have the pandora keyboard with built-in battery to extend gameplay and all it uses is one of the USB slots and blocks you from accessig the SD card (which is not important, just shove it in then plug the keyboard, take out keyboard to access SD again). Pretty geniuse?

console3n.png

I also discussed Pandora's emulation potential on the thread http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/51314-pandora-not-powerful-enough/
So according to those knowledge we've discussed, this "Pandora 2" would need a really powerful CPU-GPU system capable of 19million polygons/sec (under gaming conditions, not during actual gaming).
This is a 2yr old drawing btw. Something I should add, I just edited that pic to say "emulates psp" instead of what it wrote before:
CPU:ARM 800MHz, GPU: 128MB dedicated @ 200MHz, 1GB RAM, 640MB ROM... I don't even know if something like that could meet requirments, sounded good at the time!
Thanks for your posts again! :lol: :wiz: :gp2x :pandora2ut4:

Kun fu "Panda" + "Dora" the explorer = Pandora (educational and fun!)

Kangal said:
And for some reason it says screen is both TFT and OLED ;)

I only noticed after I uploaded, then it was too late.
Most PPC's (eg HTC and iPaq) from what I've seen have TFT and these look really beautiful even under sunlight.
But then again I READ somewhere that new samsung phones use OLED because of power.
So for the screen it is either depending on how good OLED looks under sunlight and how much power it saves.
I'm not debating either way.

I just couldn't convince myself that having a keyboard is worth it, if your a layman and having a keyboard means that it becomes much more larger imho.
But another alternative (best of both worlds) is to keep the design as it is but have a keyboard that attaches to the bottom (like Motion plus onto a Wii-mote)
I just made this new sketch to illustrate my point. For those who want a keyboard get the attachment, others dont get it. For the confused, get it but choose when to take it with you and when to leave it at home. Cause you cant rip off a chunk from the Pandora and make it smaller, but this device is already small and if you want u just add the attachment to have the pandora keyboard with built-in battery to extend gameplay and all it uses is one of the USB slots and blocks you from accessig the SD card (which is not important, just shove it in then plug the keyboard, take out keyboard to access SD again). Pretty geniuse?

I also discussed Pandora's emulation potential on the thread http://www.gp32x.de...owerful-enough/
So according to those knowledge we've discussed, this "Pandora 2" would need a really powerful CPU-GPU system capable of 19million polygons/sec (under gaming conditions, not during actual gaming).
This is a 2yr old drawing btw. Something I should add, I just edited that pic to say "emulates psp" instead of what it wrote before:
CPU:ARM 800MHz, GPU: 128MB dedicated @ 200MHz, 1GB RAM, 640MB ROM... I don't even know if something like that could meet requirments, sounded good at the time!
Thanks for your posts again! :lol: :wiz: :gp2x :pandora2ut4:

Kun fu "Panda" + "Dora" the explorer = Pandora (educational and fun!)
I don't like the keyboard layout.

I say the alt key should be at the top left.

I think i should make a poll for this, see what people think.

Keep the controls and clam shell layout.

Stuff that almost goes without saying:
Dual or quad core ARM chip - whatever has availability at the time.
More RAM - always.
SDXC slots
USB 3.0
Bluetooth (whatever is current)
802.11n

Nifty upgrade stuff:
GPS
PixelQi screen - a touch wider maybe? Also - should about triple our battery run down time, right?
4 small speakers per side instead of one big one to make room for a wider screen. Make 2 per side point toward and two per side angled out to yield phantom surround.
7.1 surround composite output through A/V plug
DVI output through A/V plug (Not HDMI - don't need the
IR port on the top of the lid - so it points away from you when it's open - for use as a multimedia remote
Antenna jack for 802.11 b/g/n - Cantenna anyone?

Just some ideas.

Back