Pandora Interface Design Concept(s).

Vorporeal said:
It must have something resembling a window manager, as you can have no desktop environment (no KDE/Gnome, just X Server) and still be able to run graphical apps like xterm in a window that can be moved around the screen, shaded, and closed (just like if you had a "real" WM running).
All you need is a background and some sort of menu with your applications. .xsession should already manage your startup applications AFAIK, so you can add functionality as needed. Why get a full-blown "desktop" environment when you are on a mobile device? :)

Last edited by a moderator:
javaJake said:
All you need is a background and some sort of menu with your applications. .xsession should already manage your startup applications AFAIK, so you can add functionality as needed. Why get a full-blown "desktop" environment when you are on a mobile device? :)
+1000000

How about a black screen with white text that is a simple file browser, so you can just navigate to where your, games, emus, apps, etc are and execute them. This has been done before on small media players like the sansa.

whiskthecat said:
How about a black screen with white text that is a simple file browser, so you can just navigate to where your, games, emus, apps, etc are and execute them. This has been done before on small media players like the sansa.
GP2X

After 5 days of trying to register on this site I am finnally here with my crummy interface design!

mockupqi9.png

pandora3iy3.png

Its the best I could do :p

I know it looks alot like one of the first ideas put up... but i liked that idea so I made my own

Very nice! I like the idea of having it almost like a Google Homepage + App Launcher. I think the best way of doing this, though, would to have it theme-able (background, colors, and fonts), and then have everything be customizable. Basically a theme-based widget system. I mean personally I wouldn't want to have my latest downloads or my gmail up there. However, I would like to have the RSS viewer.

A widgets system would probably be best.

I've also thought about an iPhone-like interface (similar to Ubuntu Mobile), where it's touch-based, but I think that's more suited for an MP3 Player, which shouldn't be built in to the default interface.

It was ment to be all the plugins you want with your colors and everything so its real customizable. So if you want RSS you can have it or Gmail or whatever you want. That design was actually based off my google apps page :p

Fun ideas:
  • A little text box at the bottom of the screen. Tap to select, and type in it; it then posts whatever you type to Twitter. Greyed out if Twitter is inaccessible.
  • Other ideas go here

atomicthumbs said:
Fun ideas:
  • A little text box at the bottom of the screen. Tap to select, and type in it; it then posts whatever you type to Twitter. Greyed out if Twitter is inaccessible.
  • Other ideas go here
+1

I love twitter!

Potential problems with abeisgreat's design:

- everything is too small, considering the size of the pandora screen
- you're forced to use the touchscreen to launch applications within a reasonable timescale
- plugins like gmail, rss etc. are network dependent so would be a waste of resources when wifi is not available.

I agree that the size is to small but everything could be easily sized up. I know Gmail RSS Twitter are all wifi dependent but almost everywhere I go I have wifi but if you dont, put in apps that dont use wifi, simple :D

Also at the idea of a twitter plugin, I dont really use twitter but that is an awesome idea

Why can't we just use Google Android again?

Nova said:
I dont have the slightest clue, LETS USE ANDROID!!!!
Even if its not the official someone should so port that!
Ive decided i think the OS should be deb or android... there both awesome

I reckon gMenu2x is a logical starting point. As important as a good GUI is, it's easily bogged down with fluff (especially with regard to development time). The wheel doesn't need to be reinvented just to get it ready for sale.

Once production is underway, there'll be all the time in the world to come up with something unique... or a nice clone of XBMC.

abeisgreat said:
atomicthumbs said:
Nova said:
this is not a cell phone

No it isnt, but since its all open someone could just take out the phone element

voIP is possible...

Nova said:
abeisgreat said:
atomicthumbs said:
Nova said:
this is not a cell phone

No it isnt, but since its all open someone could just take out the phone element

voIP is possible...

voIP would be a nice feature, seeing as it might be able to run Deb packs Im thinkin maybe Skype for Debian will run

Back