Pandora Interface Design Concept(s).

That's why I said XFCE or IceWM, as XFCE would likely be a little big on memory resources for the Pandora.

The problem with IceWM is that it seems harder to customize, though I haven't tested it to assure that.

Yeah, it's definitely overkill if you want to launch games / emulators from it... but I wasn't thinking of that.

So we need something like a touchscreen version of GMenu2X as the default interface, for launching resource hungry applications / games / emulators, and an X11 server with XFCE Fluxbox of IceWM for laptop use.

Of course, the X11 server would be launched when needed from the default menu, be it GMenu or whatever else.

EDIT
There's a discussion on lightweight windows managers here:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=306141

An interesting read at the time of choosing a desktop environment for Pandora.

What if a compilation and work was done on the dev board to take all the best emus out there, compile them together, and slip them into the system itself. no more complicated installations etc. just select the ROM and go.

Maybe not have it on the system from the getgo, but just happen to have an extremely easy to use update and a readme on system :rolleyes:

umm, I think shipping it with emulators on it would put it in way too much of a legal gray zone...
Besides, we have access to the whole debian-arm repository (is that the right term), so with the right frontend, all the installations (and updates!) could be one-click/tap

javaJake said:
There's no way XFCE takes up 99MB. At least, not in Xubuntu, which ran well on a 64 MB laptop. :p

It was Xubuntu. Maybe I had extra services running. The panel takes up 5mb which isn't so bad. But some of the plugins on that panel take up to 5mb themselves. :-||

Hardly going to be all that difficult to program an ultra lite panel replacement anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was running Xubuntu, no modifications to any settings, and just running a browser or word processor. The laptop just sits there, being an electronic calendar, so I hardly use it for much else. :p

Personnally, I dont need XFCE, IceWM, Gnome or KDE and if I'm not satisfy with the default GUI of Pandora, I will certainly code one myself :p

JyCet said:
Personnally, I dont need XFCE, IceWM, Gnome or KDE and if I'm not satisfy with the default GUI of Pandora, I will certainly code one myself :p
just let davec be the beta tester for the default GUI of Pandora
then we nou we will like it GMenu2X v2 craigix that is gui i like to have ;)

yaustar said:
This is a little interesting to consider: http://www.ubuntu.com/products/mobile

Just saw that myself and came here to post a link. The down side is that it requires a minimum of 256MB RAM, which we don't have. Even if you could trim it down to run on Pandora, it is serious overkill for a default GUI.

Still, it looks slick, and I could see an eventual pandorified version for those who care less about performance and more about having a laptop replacement in their pocket. Kudos to the Ubuntu folks for getting on top of the emerging MID market. It's just too bad they couldn't have made it a bit more memory efficient.

Here are the system requirements for Ubuntu mobile: http://www.ubuntu.com/files/u1/ubu_mob_edition_A4_aw.pdf

• Intel Silverthorne Processor
• Intel Poulsbo System Controller Hub

Do you, guys think Ubuntu mobile will work on non-Intel MID. It sounds like they make an OS for Intel’s needs. As far as I know, there is no ARM port available at this time.
Maybe because there is no arm-based handheld device with at least 256 for a reasonable price.
But I think Ubuntu mobile could have been a very nice Os for the Pandora. It seems really umpc-features-enabled. Web 2.0 integration, flash 9.. It's a pity we won't see it on the Pandora.

Ubuntu Mobile is overkill for the Pandora, stick to something very, very simple that just works

"Currently, the project is focused on x86 processors, using architectures created by Intel's [WWW] LPIA platform. The only tested device so far is the Samsung Q1 Ultra."

I was :( until I read this:

"As stated above, our current focus in in x86 processors. Despite should be no big problem port it to run on ARM, the Nokia devices have proprietary parts that we can't have access so the port will be, at the best, incomplete. My take on that is, at least for now, if you have a Nokia N770 or N800, stick with Nokia's software."

Then I was :) (or at least hopeful)

I would like a touchscreen version of GMenu2x as the default interface (launching RAM demanding apps and games), and the minimal possible X11 interface for laptop use, to be launched at request from the default interface.

Perhaps there could be an X11 "launcher" much like the Failsafe Terminal mode, in which it launches a super-lean window manager with just that app (and maybe a terminal 'r something so you can launch more).

In fact, if I recall correctly, X11 has its own window manager built in.

Or maybe that's a stupid idea, and the GMenu2x should just be (part of) a super-lean window manager to begin with. :p

javaJake said:
Perhaps there could be an X11 "launcher" much like the Failsafe Terminal mode, in which it launches a super-lean window manager with just that app (and maybe a terminal 'r something so you can launch more).

Or maybe that's a stupid idea, and the GMenu2x should just be (part of) a super-lean window manager to begin with. :p

X11 doesn't have a window manager. End the window manager process and suddenly your windows have no borders and you can't move them. even with the linux alt key tricks.

But yes. A failsafe launcher in X11 is a good idea.

So we default to X11 with NOTHING else but a gmenu2x style launcher as default (or something with similar basic functionality). We can from there launch just games, or programs and a window manager and task bar. Then have an option to kill the window manager and task bar if you need to free up memory again for a game.

Those who want more from the start can add a window manager and task bar etc to the X11 startup script. :)

Zarneth said:
javaJake said:

X11 doesn't have a window manager. End the window manager process and suddenly your windows have no borders and you can't move them. even with the linux alt key tricks.

But yes. A failsafe launcher in X11 is a good idea.

So we default to X11 with NOTHING else but a gmenu2x style launcher as default (or something with similar basic functionality). We can from there launch just games, or programs and a window manager and task bar. Then have an option to kill the window manager and task bar if you need to free up memory again for a game.

Those who want more from the start can add a window manager and task bar etc to the X11 startup script. :)
It must have something resembling a window manager, as you can have no desktop environment (no KDE/Gnome, just X Server) and still be able to run graphical apps like xterm in a window that can be moved around the screen, shaded, and closed (just like if you had a "real" WM running).

Back