Pandora 2 Concept

Tensuke said:
Noo!! No nipples in my Pandora! Besides the yetti-nipples currently used, they are a very high cut of nipples. :p
Confirmed: Pandora has AAA nipples.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tensuke said:
Noo!! No nipples in my Pandora! Besides the yetti-nipples currently used, they are a very high cut of nipples. :p
Lol, I was just saying nubs are much better than trackpad, I also think the two we have are plenty.

the new macbook pro trackpads are ace, but trackpads have no place in a device like this.

Sphinxter said:
Hate and loathe trackpads, damn their inaccurate inadvertent clicking.

Totally.

The first thing I ever do on a trakpad laptop is disable the tap-to-click. Unfortunately my current laptop doesn't have a Windows 7 driver available for my trackpad so it's treated as a standard PS/2 mouse with no option to disable it. Trouble is it seems to detect random clicks even when I'm not touching the unit! :(

The trackpad on my latest laptop has a physical off switch.
However, the volume control is a software controlled touch sensitive slider. Seriously glad the Pandora got it right!

I'd say it depends. Right now I'm using an 11.6" 1810T as main laptop and the touchpad is awesome. Sometimes I connect a mouse for casual gaming and when I go back to work or something else, while the mouse is still plugged in, I find myself using the touchpad. Usually I set a touchpad to maximum acceleration, but even would like it if it was faster than that.

WizardStan said:
The trackpad on my latest laptop has a physical off switch.
However, the volume control is a software controlled touch sensitive slider. Seriously glad the Pandora got it right!

I second that. Software buttons are a pain when you have to dig up alternative drivers and the like for them; moreover, I can't adjust the volume without opening the laptop up fully (at least on my current unit).

It came with this silly little media remote, but it's the sort of thing you almost never use. It saw more action as a coaster than a remote. :p

I hate track pads with a passion. Give me a pointing stick on a laptop any day.

I'm not a great fan of touch screens as the only method of input either. I've been down the route of touch screens when I bought the O2 XDA a few years back and then moved back to the good old fashioned keyboard. My current phone is the Nokia E90 communicator. It's one of the reasons I detest the iPhone so much. I want to feel a physical movement when I press a button, not a greasy piece of glass.

I also had a brief go at a couple of games on the iPhone using the on screen buttons and/or accelerometer. Nasty!! That's why I love the Pandora so much, proper gaming controls and a physical keyboard

So track pad on a concept Pandora 2? No thanks.

Pleng said:
Sphinxter said:

Totally.

The first thing I ever do on a trakpad laptop is disable the tap-to-click. Unfortunately my current laptop doesn't have a Windows 7 driver available for my trackpad so it's treated as a standard PS/2 mouse with no option to disable it. Trouble is it seems to detect random clicks even when I'm not touching the unit! :(

I do exactly the same thing. That tap click is one of the worse 'defaults to on' features ever invented for a portable device.

The new Mac laptops have a better solution, the pad IS the button.

craigix said:
Pleng said:
Sphinxter said:

Totally.

I do exactly the same thing. That tap click is one of the worse 'defaults to on' features ever invented for a portable device.

I use Linux full time and right now my notebook sucks, it's dying even after I took it apart and cleaned the fans and put new thermal paste on it. It's one of those P4 desktop replacements, worst idea ever.

Anyway, I'm seriously considering getting a Apple notebook since everyone says the track pads are so nice. I still haven't looked into Linux support though but generally Linux works pretty well on Apple hardware.

On my MBP, tapping down once doesn't click, you have to double tap to click. Two finger double-tap to right-click. Or just use the button, but I've become accustomed to gliding and tapping for clicking on this and my old compaq laptop as well. I really wish that multi-touch tech. wasn't owned by apple.

You know I really liked the idea of Windows SideShow. When you close the lid of the laptop, there's a screen that shows the time, current song, etc... Also would be nice to have buttons available like on a remote. One thing I liked about my PSP is I didn't need to pull it out to change the song I was listening to and I miss this a lot now that I use an iPod Touch as my music player. I don't like pulling my devices out, in some cases I even have to hold them in my hands as the controls are all in the interface. I plan to consolidate all my devices with a Pandora, with the exception of my phone so opening the lid on the Pandora to change the song, playlist, shuffle options will be cumbersome in that matter.

Hey maybe a remote screen from the Pandora with touch support would be nice in that manner of thinking. People could have their external touchpad, I could have my remote for changing songs on the fly, other people could do amazing things with it.

second exodous said:
Anyway, I'm seriously considering getting a Apple notebook since everyone says the track pads are so nice. I still haven't looked into Linux support though but generally Linux works pretty well on Apple hardware.

I'm pretty sure that Ubuntu has the best MacBook support around. Though you could probably get most of that stuff working on any distro.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MacBook%20Aluminum

What I do on mine is simply use OS X for normal usage and then use virtual machines for linux and windows specific stuff. Typically, the VMs are just as fast as a native install would be.

For the MacBook itself (under OS X), the touchpad (using the multiclutch app) is awesome. There's an app called MultiClutch that allows you to program different actions against different gestures on specific apps. This makes things like web browsing really nice to use the touchpad with.

darien said:
On my MBP, tapping down once doesn't click, you have to double tap to click. Two finger double-tap to right-click. Or just use the button, but I've become accustomed to gliding and tapping for clicking on this and my old compaq laptop as well. I really wish that multi-touch tech. wasn't owned by apple.

You know I really liked the idea of Windows SideShow. When you close the lid of the laptop, there's a screen that shows the time, current song, etc... Also would be nice to have buttons available like on a remote. One thing I liked about my PSP is I didn't need to pull it out to change the song I was listening to and I miss this a lot now that I use an iPod Touch as my music player. I don't like pulling my devices out, in some cases I even have to hold them in my hands as the controls are all in the interface. I plan to consolidate all my devices with a Pandora, with the exception of my phone so opening the lid on the Pandora to change the song, playlist, shuffle options will be cumbersome in that matter.

Hey maybe a remote screen from the Pandora with touch support would be nice in that manner of thinking. People could have their external touchpad, I could have my remote for changing songs on the fly, other people could do amazing things with it.

On a device as small as the Pandora, that seems awkward from a technical standpoint. Where would you put it? On the outside of the top part of the case, it's just likely to be scratched, and I imagine it'd be difficult to fit a screen of any useful size on there without increasing the thickness of the top part. I think a better solution would be to rely on the shoulder buttons, or a bluetooth headset with media controls. :huh:

I think on laptops and larger computers, it makes sense, since they take longer to wake up from standby and hibernate and are more awkward to handle on the go. But it seems like overkill on something as small and mobile as the Pandora is already.

skyeyemachine said:
On a device as small as the Pandora, that seems awkward from a technical standpoint. Where would you put it? On the outside of the top part of the case, it's just likely to be scratched, and I imagine it'd be difficult to fit a screen of any useful size on there without increasing the thickness of the top part. I think a better solution would be to rely on the shoulder buttons, or a bluetooth headset with media controls. :huh:

I think on laptops and larger computers, it makes sense, since they take longer to wake up from standby and hibernate and are more awkward to handle on the go. But it seems like overkill on something as small and mobile as the Pandora is already.

Well I was talking about an external remote w/screen, though I'm not willing to use bluetooth regularly just yet. I was simply citing windows sideshow as a function vista has in low powered sleep. Honestly though, I don't know why anyone would eyebrow a screen like that on the outside of the case. It works perfectly fine on things as thin as a cellphone and it wouldn't be bigger than a stamp. Heck, it could even be in place of the logo and use the same backlight as the main screen for brief moments when you're checking it. From a real technical standpoint, there's nothing awkward about it, but I digress, that would be a Pandora 2 solution. My idea for a remote screen accessory is realistic right now.

darien said:
skyeyemachine said:

Well I was talking about an external remote w/screen, though I'm not willing to use bluetooth regularly just yet. I was simply citing windows sideshow as a function vista has in low powered sleep. Honestly though, I don't know why anyone would eyebrow a screen like that on the outside of the case. It works perfectly fine on things as thin as a cellphone and it wouldn't be bigger than a stamp. Heck, it could even be in place of the logo and use the same backlight as the main screen for brief moments when you're checking it. From a real technical standpoint, there's nothing awkward about it, but I digress, that would be a Pandora 2 solution. My idea for a remote screen accessory is realistic right now.

Mm, wasn't thinking about cellphones; ironically I have one with a window just like you describe, and that works pretty well, so I detract my earlier comment, I suppose. Also, I didn't catch that you were talking about an external remote. Sorry for the misunderstandings on my part.

That said, while the smaller screen might be neat, I guess I still feel it's not a very compelling feature, and don't feel too badly about its absence from the current design. A remote might be nifty, but again, I don't think it's something I'd really have much use for. But I suppose those are probably just my personal gadget-usage habits more than anything else. :p

craigix said:
Actually I don't care for it much. It's stylish, but it's rather unintuitive for folks who've used computers before ("where's the button? how do I click?"). Dragging icons/files is also a pain because you'll get something halfway across the screen and run out of space on the trackpad. Previously, you could just hold down the button and move your fingers to keep going, but now... Hmm. Maybe it's possible to put down a second finger to hold the trackbutton down and lift the first one up... have to try that.

You do get a larger trackpad, though, so that's cool.

atomicthumbs said:
A Trackpoint would be my dream
Trackpoint! that's what they're called, the Tinkpad nubs. Now I can see if anyone makes a USB keyboard with them.

I really hope that the nubs on the Pandora will work as good as a Trackpoint, I think havening one on the Pandora2 plus two nubs would be a little much. Maybe when picking the nubs for Pandora2 Trackpoint functionality should be taken into account.

EDIT: They're made!
lenovo_thinkpad_usb_trackpoint_keyboard-2.jpg

Not needing to move your hands from they keyboard ever again! I was worried when Leveno bought IBM's notebook division the Trackpoint would go the way of the Dodo.

But as far a the Pandora2 needing one I hope that the Pandora nubs will do.

second exodous said:
Trackpoint! that's what they're called, the Tinkpad nubs.
Alternatively called *COUGHS*clit mouse.

Back