One week with the Pyra

Actually in my unit (rebirth) the touchscreen is not very good in that it doesn't react when the pressed area is large (i.e. when using a finger). It works only with the stylus or if I bend my finger to use the nail, which is not always comfortable or possible. It would be nice if the Pyra screen didn't have this flaw (I had several devices with resistive touch screens, and none ever behaved like that).

Yes, that was one horrible batch of touchscreens... we immediately switched to different ones after them.

BTW:
Now things become more interesting.
I removed a (cracked) touchscreen from one of the LCDs I had lying around and put it in front of various screens (Pandoras LCD, computer monitors, etc.)
It was perfectly fine, as good as on the Pandora.
I haven't tested that one on the Pyra yet, as I got it at home and I'm at work right now, but I will do that tonight.

What I need to find out is whether it was the same touch or not.

We had multiple versions:

* One version which was too hard to press
* Another one which worked find for us (the one we approved).

If the model number on the touchscreen is accurate (it should be!), then it should be one of the ones we approved!
However, we received 4 samples back then which we used to approve.

After that, we received 20 displays, fully assembled.

The one I now tested is one of those 20.

So, what does that mean?

It means...

• ... the approved sample might be fine and the later delivered ones are different
  • ... the grain of the touchscreen might hit exactly the dpi size of the LCD, leading to the grainy picture
  • ... the one I've removed right now is from an older batch but has the same model number
I'll keep you posted!
[doublepost=1458561446,1458560578][/doublepost]Okay, just did some more tests, as I remembered I got a GPD XD here which has a similar resolution.

In fact, the issue is the high resolution!

Both the Pyra and Pandora touchscreen look that bad when I put them in front of the GPD XD screen!
The grain exists because we wanted a matte screen (I don't really like glossy), but it seems that's not possible anymore with that high dpi.

So the solution is probably to use a non-matte touchscreen with some AntiGlare to prevent all those reflections.

At least you found that out...
How scratch resistant would a non-matte touch screen with Anti Glare be? My Pandora's touch screen (which is perfectly fine) seems to be very scratch resistant, even after all those years some wiping with a soft piece of cloth is suffiecient to make it look like new and I almost always use my Pandora with Stylus.

Sounds good ED - you might have a cheaper solution then. Interesting how stuff works with the screens- stuff one might not easily think could happen.

So the options are to have a grainy display, or a figerprint magnet mirror. That sucks.

So the options are to have a grainy display, or a figerprint magnet mirror. That sucks.

No, there is anti-fingerprint coating as well.
In fact, I also have a matte touchscreen on some device which is a fingerprint magnet :D

A backlit screen is unlikely to show up fingerprints - the contrast is generally too small and overwhelmed by the brightness. Also, you tend to look at it straight on, while the visibility of fingerprints on glossy surfaces is often due to the different refractive index of your fingerprint grease versus the clean plastic surface (or versus the air surrounding the surface if it doesn't have a clear protective layer), so requires light to come in an quite a small angle and be viewed by your eyes at a similarly oblique angle. Straight on, it becomes almost invisible even on unlit plain plastic.

In fact, the issue is the high resolution!

Both the Pyra and Pandora touchscreen look that bad when I put them in front of the GPD XD screen!
The grain exists because we wanted a matte screen (I don't really like glossy), but it seems that's not possible anymore with that high dpi.

So the solution is probably to use a non-matte touchscreen with some AntiGlare to prevent all those reflections.

I'm using matte screen protector for my xperia z ultra (1080p at 6.4'') and don't find such problems. There is some graininess but it's not that visible. Maybe I could make some photos later.
There might be some problems with the way matte layer was made for this touchscreen or maybe touchscreen itself so it's worth investigating in my opinion.

But if you're going antiglare route please consider using some anti reflective coating to increase outdoor/sunlight usability.

Hm, this could explain why there are almost no Laptops with a matte Touchscreen out there but alot with matte non-touch-screen displays. Smart Phones are basicly all glossy, makes sense.
However, I don't want a glossy screen at all, what exactly do you mean with "non-matte touchscreen with some AntiGlare"?

A glossy screen might actually be better for outdoor visibility, because at least then you can angle is such that it's not reflecting the sun at you. Wouldn't help so much in a lightly cloudy day where the whole sky becomes a light box, but to counter that you either need a brighter screen, or a transflexive screen which takes in incident light and reflects it back out through the colour filters - matter versus glossy doesn't make much difference there.

The only downside with glossy screens is that they tend to reflect brightly lit objects clearly, so you can see the image of anything up against the window reflected if it's angled to show them, not just the original light source.

glare screen?? Awww, no please!!
I'm in for waiting a bit for a better solution. Might even be worth now to ask bunnie from the novena project, if he has some Shenzen connections that might help out... (I could contact him for that)

BOE are visiting me tomorrow to check that and try to find other touchscreens.
Also, Fatihs company is actively checking with their touchscreen manufacturers (who are the same that made the Pandora touchscreen for us) for better solutions.

We'll find one :)
[doublepost=1458577438,1458577422][/doublepost]
Evildragon, could you try using a PiDrive with the pyra prototype? :D

PiDrive? What's that?

Nice to see the companys show their affection to the project as well!

It doesn't necessarily have to be about the resolution. Have you considered the technologies (and subpixel alignments) of the panels that you've been comparing?

Also, be careful if it comes to glossy anti-reflection coatings, some of those are much better than others...

It doesn't necessarily have to be about the resolution. Have you considered the technologies (and subpixel alignments) of the panels that you've been comparing?

Well, so far, the issue can be seen with both the Pyra and Pandora touchscreen on all 720p 5" devices I tested (with different LCDs, OLED and non-OLED), whereas both look great with the Pandora, GCW Zero, computer monitors, etc.
So it sounds more like the dpi than the subpixel alignments.

BOE are visiting me tomorrow to check that and try to find other touchscreens.
Also, Fatihs company is actively checking with their touchscreen manufacturers (who are the same that made the Pandora touchscreen for us) for better solutions.

We'll find one :)
[doublepost=1458577438,1458577422][/doublepost]

PiDrive? What's that?

it's a tiny harddrive Western Digital made as an accessory mainly for the raspberry pi, it's 314gb and uses usb 3 with a special cable

Back