First newspost coming FROM the Pyra!

just a spontaneous thought as the pi 3 was released recently, any possibility that SoC could be acquired for an alternative cpu board in the near future? it's fully open iirc and 64bit quad core (even if only at 1.2ghz) is interesting
Performance wise the Pi 3 is less capable then the OMAP5's dual core A15s. Not sure what the benefits would be and development and manufacturing costs would likely be similar with maybe only a few dollar savings per board. The Pyra will be open, so maybe the RPi organization may see some benefit of developing a SoC module for the Pyra base.

i'd go for an efficient low watts board (still capable via GPU) to output HDMI and display the touch screen. that's my dream next SoC. you know, aim to have weeks long battery life ;).

Meanwhile on twitter...
Ce9iRGsWIAU2iSH.jpg:orig

Maybe it's also an april fools, but I don't think that's the case... or is it?

Nice render, I like the ray tracing, looks very real. It's still the first of April, so maybe this means that it indeed burned to a crisp and this is very elaborate and mean trolling.

Last edited:
No, that one's real ;)

I think that is the first picture where we can clearly see the lid LEDs and the back ports. Nice tail lights.

That really makes me want my prototype in clear plastic. Is that possible?

Have you considered doing any production on clear cases? I think they would be very interesting options for the modding community. The clear case helps show where the voids in the case are at in relation to the boards. I'm sure someone would think of something to mod into one of the voids above the shoulder buttons.

The curl in the LCD cable seems a bit off kilter. Is that still the somewhat too short version of that cable?

Very cool - we're all looking forward to any additional information you can feed us!

I can't wait for the poll over which colour the pyra should be.

The keyboard and other polls at least had some objective arguments that needed to be mulled over. The colour poll will be a shitshow of subjective arguments and "I wants". It's gonna be a nightmare.

It should come in matte black, and then a clear option if enough people want it (like me). But thats just my opinion.

I can't wait for the poll over which colour the pyra should be.

The keyboard and other polls at least had some objective arguments that needed to be mulled over. The colour poll will be a shitshow of subjective arguments and "I wants". It's gonna be a nightmare.

It should come in matte black, and then a clear option if enough people want it (like me). But thats just my opinion.

There have been several polls on the subject - and many renders.

I know many got tired of their mere existence, but I feel that the keyboard discussions and related polls and outcome was actually constructive in the end.

The last color poll results that I recall had flat black and dark red as the top choices. I don't think the technonerdcred of a clear case was fully understood at the time though. Given the post-poll dark red website theme and dark red render on the main page, I think that dark red is likely a given. That clear case is very very cool though. Maybe a new poll needs to be done now that we all know what a clear case really looks like?

Yay. More polls.

Yes, it's time for another poll!

I'm not going to make it though, so it's time for someone else to step up.

Clear is going to get a lot more votes now. I know it.
There is no reason why

Black
Dark Red
Clear

can't all be official options in the store.

Hell, if the concern is a bunch of 'blended' cases being produced because it is too costly to clean the machine when changing the colour pellets on a run...

I think variations of black/red/clear would actually look pretty sweet, and those rare cases may actually fetch quite a price for collectors.

@EvilDragon : What was the limitation on colour choice again?
Would we be able to for instance, start a run on clear... then after a short while, add the red pellets, and eventually put in black pellets untill the run is finished?
Can they do that?

Sent from my GT-N5100 using Tapatalk

Would we be able to for instance, start a run on clear... then after a short while, add the red pellets, and eventually put in black pellets untill the run is finished?
Can they do that?
That could be an incentive to buy the 4G or some other bonus...
Nice idea in any case!

If the more expensive 4g unit was the only one that came in clear that would decide which one I'm getting REAL fast.

My poor wallet.

Yes, it's time for another poll!

I'm not going to make it though, so it's time for someone else to step up.

Clear is going to get a lot more votes now. I know it.
There is no reason why

Black
Dark Red
Clear

can't all be official options in the store.

Hell, if the concern is a bunch of 'blended' cases being produced because it is too costly to clean the machine when changing the colour pellets on a run...

I think variations of black/red/clear would actually look pretty sweet, and those rare cases may actually fetch quite a price for collectors.

@EvilDragon : What was the limitation on colour choice again?
Can they do that?

Sent from my GT-N5100 using Tapatalk

Minimum order quantities might make having 3 color options available for the production cases impractical.

I've said before that it would be fun to have a blended (bakelyte type) case with red/black beeds swirled together. I hadn't considered including clear beads in that. Of course my assumption that the beads fed to the machine are not fully integrated/mixed into a single soup before going into the mold may be inaccurate.

If you're right about the half-color-color-clear 'cut over' cases - those would be pretty fun too.

But, yeah, clear is looking very cool. I know it was overdone on some other mass produced items, but in this case it really does show just how special the guts of this thing really are.

I suspect the thing could be a paisley plaid and most of us would still buy it. Please don't do that though.

machine Swirls are really creative as an idea, as no case is the same, ever.
but yeah, if I ever see a guy with a clear case PC I will probably whack him in the face.
It sounds godlike on the Pyra though. As long as you don't use that cheapass plastic kids used to refurbish their Gameboy Colors to Clear in the early 2000s.:happy: I remember how one guy overheated his thing at a trip to the desert, because that cheap, uncomfortable plastic was taking the light like it was Mick Jagger's red door...

They laughed because mine was matte green... \o/

Back