One week with the Pyra

http://store.wdc.com/store/wdus/en_...e_Kit/productID.323686500/categoryId.13096100

Looking at the actual spec of that drive, I believe that the Pyra will already support it. It's simply a USB device + external power supply. The novel thing on this is that WD seems to have included a SATA-USB adapter in the drive packaging to make a 'native USB' device.

As far as I can tell this would not be any different from running a notebook SATA drive on a USB-SATA adapter.

Now, the Pyra in theory is already set up to do one better though. It has a trick USB port that also caries the SATA signal wires and with a special Pyra adapter should be able to go native SATA.

So, yeah, the PiDrive, being just another USB storage device, should work fine. Someone will need to test it.

I'm guessing something about the USB3-over-USB2 thing...
Thats just a standard 2,5 drive with an integrated SATA to USB3 adapter, which they are probably selling in a cased version as portable drives. There is nothing special here, except that they also ship a USB cable where the power lines are additionally connected to another USB plug, and a power supply they are sure of it can power both, the hdd and the Pi.

The only downside with glossy screens is that they tend to reflect brightly lit objects clearly, so you can see the image of anything up against the window reflected if it's angled to show them, not just the original light source.
And it can be used to look at someone else without them noticing that. Pyra with a glossy screen - Secret Agent Edition!

Thats just a standard 2,5 drive with an integrated SATA to USB3 adapter, which they are probably selling in a cased version as portable drives. There is nothing special here, except that they also ship a USB cable where the power lines are additionally connected to another USB plug, and a power supply they are sure of it can power both, the hdd and the Pi.
But the Pi only supports USB 2...?

Okay, most probably, this can be fixed without getting a new touchscreen!

Right now, the touchscreen is applied to the display using doublesided tape (so that we could replace it ourselves in case the touchscreen cracks).
This means there's a bit of air inbetween - which leads to a refraction that cause these issues.

We will now get a few samples where the touchscreen is bonded directly onto the display.
You will never be able to remove it (which you usually don't need to do anyway, as no dust can go between the touch and the LCD if it's bonded), and there's no air between so there shouldn't be any refraction.

I'll keep you updated :)

Okay, most probably, this can be fixed without getting a new touchscreen!

Right now, the touchscreen is applied to the display using doublesided tape (so that we could replace it ourselves in case the touchscreen cracks).
This means there's a bit of air inbetween - which leads to a refraction that cause these issues.

We will now get a few samples where the touchscreen is bonded directly onto the display.
You will never be able to remove it (which you usually don't need to do anyway, as no dust can go between the touch and the LCD if it's bonded), and there's no air between so there shouldn't be any refraction.

I'll keep you updated :)

Sounds great ED, hopefully that fixes the current issue.

Chris

Does this affect pressure sensitivity?

No, the touchscreen itself doesn't change, it's still a foil on top of a glass.
The only difference is that the glass will now sit directly on the LCD, without any air inbetween.

The only difference is that the glass will now sit directly on the LCD, without any air inbetween.

The final glass layer - is there anything fancy to the compound formulation named after jungle primates or similar?

You will never be able to remove it (which you usually don't need to do anyway, as no dust can go between the touch and the LCD if it's bonded)

So does that mean the touchscreen layer can still be replaced in case it's damaged? Those soft plastics tend to get some scratches by the stylus over a couple of years, my old DS lite looks horrible nowadays...

I never had scratches on the screen in both of my Pandoras... and I used the stylus a lot... I can't imagine how that stylus could be able to do persistent signs on the screen...

Then let's burn all the trees, problem solved ;)
That only messes things up for things living on the planet since there is still air, it is just polluted and has a different composition. Instead, we need to find a way to blow away the atmosphere, like on Mars. Maybe we can get help from the sun.

The final glass layer - is there anything fancy to the compound formulation named after jungle primates or similar?
Orangutan glass?

Back