Nubs and a Schedule (2010-11-04)

I'm so confused... Couple days ago I was debating with myself over if I'm batch 1 or 2 and now theres this... :unsure:

So if you really get 3000 boards will people who ordered from Batch 2 get theirs also?

Thanks ever so much for being transparent during this whole production process. I feel like any investment value I may have lost during this long wait time is paid back in full and more by the awesome, prompt, courageous, and straight-forward status updates. Beyond just updates, I'm sure the Open Pandora team can rival any other company or team in the world with your much appreciated enthusiasm for openness. This sense of openness has very real value for me. I'm also personally inspired by your perseverance through innumerable challenges.

Thanks again, keep up the good work, and I, as a 1st batch customer, never regret my decision to invest in this project, and would do it all again.

I do not reply much, and I am sorry to just simply quote someone. I simply could not have put this any better.

lol... How can anyone be definitive when although it is possible, it is also depending on no issues with about 6 different processes happening in 3 different countries. This is just piling un-useful stress on ED. You can expect more information in a week (no change?) then the week after (boards not shipped) and in 3 weeks we can all have more confidence about progress really being made.

Note the quotation marks, ...perhaps irony is too blunt a tool!

Not really. Here is what we know about the LCD cables:

* A lot from the first produced units failed, since we didn't know they need to be placed 99% accurate.

* Only 3 - 4 from the later produced units failed, there seem to be some with a lower quality. Some fail directly after installing. Don't seem to be a lot, though. Thank god.

* My unit (December last year) is still working fine with the LCD cable. And I open and close it about 10 - 15 times a day.

Therefore, the current LCD cables seem fine, there are just some that are a bit dodgy from the very beginning and they might fail.

However, as that doesn't mean they will survive forever and ever, so we are trying to be extra careful.

That's why I analyzed exactly where they fail and when, made some document and a lot of pictures showing where they are being bent and we got a new Flex Cable company suggested by MSI (Fatih has friends there) that knows a lot about flex cables and clamshell designs.

We will get samples of their produced cables in approx. 14 - 20 days.

As only the cable is being produced anew, it's fully compatible with all delivered units so far. So in case any LCD cables fail in the future (doesn't seem to be a lot based on our current experiences though), they will be replaced with the higher quality ones.

nice to hear! sounds good then! hopefully the board company can keep their promises...

ED said clearly that there will be 3 shipments of 1000 boards between November and December, completing the first 4000 units of batch one. You won't be seeing batch 2 until after Christmas.

Clearly?

The only time in ED's post where the word "Batch" was to be found was this sentence. "They are planning the delivery in three batches."(talking about the boards)

So, when did ED "clearly state" that it was only Batch one?

The thing I may have missenterpreted was this "We didn't sell 4000 units (as that would be totally crazy, you always have to keep some for RMAs), so it could be that most of you will have their unit just before christmas, while the last few ones will follow shortly after."

The statement above can be interpreted like "We havn't sold 4000 units yet(including Batch 1+2), so the one's being manufactured now will cover most of the one's that have been ordered."... especially "most of you will have their unit just before christmas".

Maybe previus posts(that I havn't seen) have explained how many units constituted Batch one and how many orders there are of Batch two. I'm at about 500th in Batch 2, and I don't know how many are after me in que in Batch 2. For all I know I can be one of the last in line. So when ED mentioned 3000 more units, and due to my limited(edit: lack of) knowledge about how many in each batch, I asked for clarification.

Last edited by a moderator:
nice to hear! sounds good then! hopefully the board company can keep their promises...
All I want to know if I am going to get my pandora before Christmas I dont think that a hard question to ask because now I am asking that question now.

Even with all these delays the good thing is that all the big problems with hardware failure have been fixed. Now it is really just the factories that are holding up the Pandora project from making more Pandoras.

Yeah, kudos to the op-team. It really showes that they are working hard not only getting the system out there but also trying really hard in perfecting the hardware. Fixing the small and big things of the pandora will mean that this handheld will become the best open handheld system so far. And it will last for a long time! If they can just get it out to customers (and hopefully this is the last hurdle) we will have fun for years to come.

I know this is this is the best investment I've done, I will play it until the nubs are worn out, and then I'll buy ten spare ones.

All I want to know if I am going to get my pandora before Christmas I dont think that a hard question to ask because now I am asking that question now.
The question is not hard at all, the answer is though. You are new here right? In that case the answer is you'll have it in two months ;) . (We all hope that most of the first batch pandoras will ship in late december, however there is a possibility that no more pandoras will ship this year, we just don't know.)

Maybe previus posts(that I havn't seen) have explained how many units constituted Batch one and how many orders there are of Batch two.

numbers comming from memory, no guarantees, blabla ...

Batch 1 was 4000 boards

1000 boards have already been made, this resulted in 900 pandora's surviving in the wild.

10% is reserved for RMA's anyway

as i understand it, they expect batch1 to be completed early januarie

as far as i know, batch 2 wasn't sold out yet and people from batch 1 are still canceling so your spot could move up as we speak

once production is rolling, there's no real difference if you are in batch1 or 2 because production is supposed to keep rolling from this point on. (except batch2 won't have a "batch1" sticker inside the batterycompartment)

i am feeling confident myself, as one of the very first *new* pandora's to arrive at evildragon's shop is my property B)

so let's all cross our fingers, sacrifice some animals and prey to the god(s) of our choosing

i want to sing "Sinterklaas liedjes" this year (custom on dutch/flemish childrens holiday on DEC 6)

EDIT:

If only i could have clicked submit an hour earlier on day one ordering, i could have had my pandora for months already :(

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm actually more confused as to why everyone is so confused, than I am about the batches.

It seems pretty straight forward to me. The 4000th board will be shipped out on the 15th, in a shipment of 1000. They didn't actually sell 4000 units for batch 1, so what ever boards are left over from that shipment will go towards batch 2. No one is being moved from one batch to another. "Batch 1" and "batch 2" are really just semantics, they're not just going to sit on their hands for a while after batch 1 is shipped. Unless they use up the last board they have on hand exactly when they finish batch one, then the first unit from batch 2 will be produced immediately after the last unit from batch 1.

It's funny how certain words seem to make an entire statement transform in someone elses eyes.

I said that ed clearly stated that 1000 boards on blah blah another on blah blah blah. I never said he clearly stated that batch 2 wouldn't be seen this year, that was my added opinion to his clearly stated facts. Even if the next 3000 units bled into batch 2 due to the unsold RMA reserves, I can't see 3000 pandoras pumped out before Christmas, especially the December shipment. January/February is where I'll hang my hat.

Now kiss me, you devilish rogue

Clearly?

The only time in ED's post where the word "Batch" was to be found was this sentence. "They are planning the delivery in three batches."(talking about the boards)

So, when did ED "clearly state" that it was only Batch one?

The thing I may have missenterpreted was this "We didn't sell 4000 units (as that would be totally crazy, you always have to keep some for RMAs), so it could be that most of you will have their unit just before christmas, while the last few ones will follow shortly after."

The statement above can be interpreted like "We havn't sold 4000 units yet(including Batch 1+2), so the one's being manufactured now will cover most of the one's that have been ordered."... especially "most of you will have their unit just before christmas".

Maybe previus posts(that I havn't seen) have explained how many units constituted Batch one and how many orders there are of Batch two. I'm at about 500th in Batch 2, and I don't know how many are after me in que in Batch 2. For all I know I can be one of the last in line. So when ED mentioned 3000 more units, and due to my limited(edit: lack of) knowledge about how many in each batch, I asked for clarification.
At least you know you're number, all though not sure how since I never got one when I ordered.

At least you know you're number, all though not sure how since I never got one when I ordered.

The only number that matters is the tracking number Jacquelyn sends you :rolleyes:

And thanks ED for the updates, I only visit the forums about once a week now and it's nice to see a new news item each visit.

Thx ED for this news.

I hope, for the team (and their heart), the community, and me :) , that this expectation will be reach.

Will I be able to play to retro-game and to uncover them to my nephew, for a good his eduction :D . I imagine to be on the rocking-chair, my nephew on the knee playing Transartica :) )))).

Thanks the Pandora team to make me dream (and I have several nephew, some still not able to play, so I can wait next Christmas ... But I said ... I caaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan't wait ........... :p )

All crossable part of my body are crossed (not easy to work like that ... ;) ).

It's fantastic to see that things are going better now, and we can only hope for full tilt production to start again. I'd be delighted to have my Pandora by Christmas, but I'll wait my turn like everyone else! I believe I'm in Batch 2, or at least I assumed I would be. I'm not really nursing any real hopes of having it by the end of the year, but who knows?

It's fantastic to see that things are going better now, and we can only hope for full tilt production to start again. I'd be delighted to have my Pandora by Christmas, but I'll wait my turn like everyone else! I believe I'm in Batch 2, or at least I assumed I would be. I'm not really nursing any real hopes of having it by the end of the year, but who knows?

There was a pretty long gap between them running out of Batch one orders and starting Batch two orders, so I would have thought it was pretty clear what Batch you were in. Batch two started July 2010.

There was a pretty long gap between them running out of Batch one orders and starting Batch two orders, so I would have thought it was pretty clear what Batch you were in. Batch two started July 2010.
And that, ladies and gentlemen, is a PERFECT example of the absent-mindedness that permeates every aspect of my life! *takes a bow*

Thanks for giving me the slap upside the head I needed, Stump :p

Back