Nubs: 100% Success! (2010 - 11 - 21)

hmmm just yesterday we all KNEW that the rest of cases are already on their way to UK via ship, how easily the world changes from flat to round....

hmmm just yesterday we all KNEW that the rest of cases are already on their way to UK via ship, how easily the world changes from flat to round....
:( I'm sorry but I smell more delays... I really thougt that this time everything was set. I truly understand that OP must find alternitive factories but sending the boards to a new company seems like asking for it. There are no garanties that they wont screw you over like every other company have done.

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah im not so sure you should change just yet, get first batch out the door first, or change as soon as you find out whether this board company has been messing with us or not.

im second batch btw but i still think first batch should take priority! i mean these people have waited for so long, another crazy delay is not looking like a good idea to me! :(

I am slightly concernicus prime too, as we are dawning on December once more. My birthday is on the 9th of December and I truly hoped that I'd be spending a large part of it with my Pandora (I hoped the same last year too!), but I've resigned to the fact that it's definitely not going to happen once more.

I just can't imagine that more than a handful of units are going to be with us before Christmas, but I'm going to try and stay positive even though I'm out of work and horribly depressed.

We are NOT changing to a new company midway of batch 1!

We're looking for alternatives to make production more stable and while the current company is (hopefully) producing the boards, the new one is working on setting up a board production line, as this takes months.

The new company also has a professional assembly line. They would offer us a complete package (production, testing, assembly).

They also offered us to help with the assembly of the remaining units, as it will take a while to assemble them.

If about 100 - 200 units per day are assembled, assembling 3000 units takes a month. They've got 280 employees, so they could assemble 3000 units WAY faster.

So if the current board company really gets their act together and finishes 3000 boards soon, it might speed batch 1 delivery up if half of the boards will be assembled at the new company.

Me and Fatih are flying over there to watch over the assembly and make sure they do it right.

I'm more concerned about the current board company being able to produce the rest of the boards quickly than I am with cases I know that can ship within 5 days...

How can cases that can ship within 5 days delay any production when we still don't have the boards?

We've got the cases for the next 2000 units ready to be assembled in UK - and it will take at least 3 weeks to get the boards for them, I assume.

Thanks for clairifying Ed. All we can do is wait and trust that you make the best choise. Good luck! B)

Yes, thanks for clearing that up, ED. I couldn't believe you would do such a thing, but I must admit I was a bit worried that there would be more delays. Glad it turned out this way :)

Yes, thanks for clearing that up, ED. I couldn't believe you would do such a thing, but I must admit I was a bit worried that there would be more delays. Glad it turned out this way :)

I'm also worried about delays, probably way more than you all are. But not because of finished cases, but about the board production company.

We didn't start setting up a second one in parallel because we are happy.

The board production company lied a few times already - that's also the reason we wanted someone in their area to check up on them.

Hi

Do not want to put a downer on this, but I would be very suspicious about a company who will not or does not want to let a

Pandora rep in to check on production, it is your rep right to be given access to see how the production of your product

is going, I would say.

Instead of just a rep turning up on their doorstep how about laying down a time and date for the visit maybe in the

next two weeks, if they then turn that down or want to push it longer than two weeks, then I would say they are

messing you around :(

I would say they are messing you around anyway without the visit :(

If they are messing you around that has to be costing them money does it not ?

For my own sanity I'm going to assume that no units are going to be delivered before Christmas. It was looking like most, if not all, of batch one just might have slipped through before the end of the year, but as time is marching on and we still dont have anything concrete from the board manufacturer, it seems like entertaining any hope would only be setting up for disappointment.

How do you guys at OP feel about it? I mean you're under enormous pressure already, but a year's end must magnifying the pressure quite a bit. Maybe we should collectively write off December and agree to expect nothing concrete until after Christmas. That way we won't all be twitching at our keyboards, ready to launch an assault when the 31st ticks over, and if anything good does happen before then then we'll all be pleasantly surprised.

Do not want to put a downer on this, but I would be very suspicious about a company who will not or does not want to let a

Pandora rep in to check on production, it is your rep right to be given access to see how the production of your product

is going, I would say.

Well, we tried to get him in this week and the CEO wasn't there (he probably took the first three days off because of thanksgiving holidays).

And he is the one who can decide if and when to let someone in.

The normal employees can't grant access, so that's normal.

I would say they are messing you around anyway without the visit :(

That's what I fear, and that's what we need to find out.

If they are messing you around that has to be costing them money does it not ?

Until now they could claim "but we didn't get the nubs yet", so making a contract with certain delivery date isn't possible as long as we couldn't provide the working nubs.

Now that the nubs will arrive soon, there are no more excuses for them.

How do you guys at OP feel about it? I mean you're under enormous pressure already, but a year's end must magnifying the pressure quite a bit.

Well, I'm honest: I'm not feeling well.

If they aren't producing, everything will be fine, delivery will resume.

But even though most have waiting over 2 years now, I'm not sure you WILL keep waiting.

The preorder money has been spent to buy the parts (as we said from the very beginning). So if there will be a mass cancellation, we can't pay back which would mean the death of the Pandora unless we find some investor to save that. That would cause me A LOT of issues - I started the project before my company has established, so I'm also privately in debt for paying back, which would make me lose everything I own... and probably be a big hit in the opensource handheld scene as it would mean closing down the archive, the websites, etc. unless someone else will take that over.

It's not easy feeling good knowing that... I've started taking some homeopathic medicaments already because the pressure is too much for me currently.

But yeah, I'm working a lot to prevent that from happening, looking for options (like getting a credit in worst case, etc.) for worst case scenarios (which won't happen I hope).

If the company starts delivering soon, then everything will be fine. But I'm just afraid they won't - but I'm always afraid of everything, so that doesn't count ;)

Also, if the new company could start producing in January / February, that would also be a good solution.

It's not easy feeling good knowing that... I've started taking some homeopathic medicaments already because the pressure is too much for me currently.
Damn..

Take it easy ED, i don't think this community will let you down, you shouldn't drive yourself to the point of possible sudden death like that.

p.s

If anyone had a RR in mind while reading this - meme closed, let it go.

Damn..

Take it easy ED, i don't think this community will let you down, you shouldn't drive yourself to the point of possible sudden death like that.

Well, if the community sticks together, nothing prevents the Pandora to exist :)

And even if it fails: If the community supports me, I'm more than happy to continue supporting the OpenSource handheld scene whenever I can and pay back the money one by one from the money I earn.

I'm trying to take it easy, but I never was the kind of guy to handle risky things too well.

I'm the emotional type of guy who is happy to help everyone if possible and work 20 hours a day for a week if it is necessary.

Heck, if I knew all Pandoras would be delivered this year if I agreed to work 15 hours a day until the end of the year, I'd happily do that!

But there we have to hope for the board company... and that's what makes me worry.

Still, i don't think there's need to gather stress like that.

I think health is more important than a device or some companies messing around, and that if the community will support you, it'll understand.

ED, it's amazing, while any commercial company would be bankrupt by now from losing their customers' confidence, you have succeeded to stay afloat thanks, in no part, to the fact that you do not run things like a commercial company.

I mean seriously, with all the stress and uncertainty, keeping everyone in the loop like this is probably what saves you, had you acted like a regular commercial company, I know I for one, would not have held on for 2+ years still waiting for my Pandora with full faith that I will eventually get it.

But then again, you are not a regular commercial company... :) thank god for that..

Keep the faith!

Thanks guys, that's really helping me to cheer up :D

And yeah... I doubt we can be called a regular commercial company.

No commercial company posts nearly 24 hours a day :D

Well, there is no way I'm going to cancel even if mine is shipped after the new year so you don't have to worry about me. I hope it ships soon so you can take a break. Also, the place in Taiwan that will do everything sounds like a good idea, it will probably be less stressful.

Its good to involve youself ED but there is certain illness that has hit a lot of us time to time. Board obsession, the only cure? Complete seperation from the internet. I don't know how long you can afford, but constant prolonged stress and lack of sleep does not fair well on your sanity and health, as I'm sure you are becomming aware.

Take a break ed, nobody will fault you. tell all the important people involved with your buisness and this project how to reach you on the phone if it really is an emergency.

But from the sounds of it you are mostly in the same waiting boat we are in.

It was looking like most, if not all, of batch one just might have slipped through before the end of the year
I disagree. Given the planning and lack of actual results from the board factory, I have been convinced for over a month that at most 1000 units would make it. Up until now I thought those 1000 were very likely to actually ship.

With the info we have now it looks like soldering of nubs won't start until December. In case that the boards are indeed awaiting those nubs it could be possible that the batch of 2000 nubs might actually get soldered in time to at least be able to ship units to customers in December. However, like the OPT I'm not convinced that the board manufacturer has been telling the truth. If not, you can be sure that no units will be delivered this year at all.

I wish I could still be as supportive as you guys are. The truth is, I cannot. Frustration has been piling up for quite some time, anticipation and disappointment have been alternating for far too long now. I have been working on some projects and have a few others I want to work on as well, but the lack of hardware is seriously getting in the way. This adds to the frustration and I have reached my boiling point. I've set my cutoff date at January 1 2011 and know a few people who have done the same. Now, if the boards are in the air by then I will happily delay my cancellation a while longer, but I need to see you guys in control soon.

It has been a long road of mismanagement. Sorry to phrase it like this ED (and Craig), I know a lot has happened which wasn't your fault and promises to you have been broken. Unfortunately, as heads of a company, you guys hold full responsibility for this. If you guys weren't so open, approachable and supportive to your customers I would have abandoned ship long ago. I really appreciate what you guys are doing here.

I really want to own a Pandora. The thought of having to cancel my order hurts me, but the waiting is driving me nuts and I spend way too much time here digging for news. :(

Sigh...yet another rant :( That wasn't even my intention. I need a holiday...

Take a break ed, nobody will fault you. tell all the important people involved with your buisness and this project how to reach you on the phone if it really is an emergency.

Can't do that now, there's still a lot to be organized. I can rest when this is over - whenever and however this may be.

But from the sounds of it you are mostly in the same waiting boat we are in.

Yes, sad but true. We can't do much than trying to push the company, sending someone in so they will know we are watching them and in the same time try to arrange another company which COULD take over the production in worst case.

I've set my cutoff date at January 1 2011 and know a few people who have done the same. Now, if the boards are in the air by then I will happily delay my cancellation a while longer, but I need to see you guys in control soon.

I know. Unfortunately, it's not that easy to simply switch to another company. A board this complex needs a lot of setting up, testing, etc.

We started working with a second company a while ago and they'll probably be ready January / February to also start production.

It's a race against the time, but no one can help us here.

It's unfortunate that both companies in US seem to be worse than Chinese companies... and we decided to work with US companies as we expected them to do better work.

Well, if the Pandora is going to kill me, then I'm ready for this. Until then, I'll try to support all you guys and keep going.

Sigh...yet another rant :( That wasn't even my intention. I need a holiday...

It wasn't really a rant. I can fully understand you.

I can understand everyone that is sad, etc. because of all the delays.

It's way worse for us though - the delays surely were NOT our intentions... but I can understand every single one that is pissed off.

I still hope the company did produce a lot of boards.

I know the guy we want to send over took a glimpse through the windows and what he could see was A LOT of finished boards already... let's hope those were Pandora boards, but he knows how they look like.

All we can do now is wait until he visited the company next week and reports back :)

Back