Nubs: 100% Success! (2010 - 11 - 21)

EvilDragon

Administrator
Staff member
Well, been a while since the last post, but I didn't want to post anything before I had some reliable results.

As I mentioned in a few posts already, we didn't get the full amount of nubs yet - the nubs company persisted on producing 200 for testing for us first.

While we wished they would've done the full amount already, it's also understandable: So far, they produced 20000 nubs which they had to destroy since they didn't work. They did this on their costs, so they really wanted to let us test them first before they lose a lot more money.

Anyways, 20 nubs arrived at Michaels place on Wednesday and 150 at the board company. Funny, even UPS delays Pandora stuff (Shipped: Monday from California via Overnight Air and arrived on Wednesday... oh well).

The board company soldered the nubs on some boards and tested them while Michael used his test jig to test the ones he got.

Now for the good news: Not a single nub acted up, jumped around, felt gritty or needed special calibration, they had a 100% success rate!

So, yay, time to produce the rest of the needed nubs!

The only thing left to worry about right now is if the board company is doing their job well.

Thankfully, we have one of the late 1st batchers living just around the corner - and he agreed to go visit them and check on the production.

Last week didn't work out (the company was too busy to show him around), but we'll try to make sure he can go in before thanksgiving holidays and hopefully comes back with pictures of thousands of boards!

About the current schedule: As the nubs arrived later than they should (we were expecting all needed ones last week), we need to get a new schedule by the company.

I'm not sure how much it changes - if we're lucky, only the delivery of the first 1000 boards will be delayed, as they could've rearranged the production and produce more of the other boards instead of putting the nubs on.

We'll post an update about the schedule as soon as we get one.

Fantastic. :D It's about time you guys had some news like this. Here's hoping that the board production is going smoothly as well.

Sorry, can I look to any blueprints or disassembled parts photo of this famous "NUBS", huh? :rolleyes:

and some technical specs/description of working, please!

Very good news... but did it take all this time just to produce 170 nubs, when you were expecting 200 and hoping for ~3000? That's not so good, but at least the nubs they do produce now will be good.

Great news. Are they going to allow him to take a camera to the production line?

Very good news... but did it take all this time just to produce 170 nubs, when you were expecting 200 and hoping for ~3000? That's not so good, but at least the nubs they do produce now will be good.

No, the amount of mass produced nubs is no issue. The machine can spit out a few thousands within one or two days, the 200 were decided by the nub company for testing. 150 went to Texas for testing, 20 to Michael and 30 have been tested by themselves.

I know this won't happen until batch 2 but was it ever found out if the nubs could be made socket-able? I heard this mentioned but don't know where, if it was an OP team member or someone else on the boards.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know this won't happen until batch 2 but was it ever found out if the nubs could be made socket-able? I heard this mentioned but don't know where, if it was an OP team member or someone else on the boards.

Yes, Michael is working on this as well.

However, at the moment he's also working on the iCP, so give that man some time :)

Didn't expect a 100% success rate on the nubs at all. Definitely good news so it gets a big Huzzah from me too.

Keep grinding guys there's not much further to go. It will be so much easier for you once you get the manufacturing stream lined and capable of producing what you expect :D

Yes, Michael is working on this as well.

However, at the moment he's also working on the iCP, so give that man some time :)
I know, I'm not expecting it to be soon I was just wondering if that was something you guys were working on or if it was a rumor, I couldn't remember where I read it.

Yeah, worry about that later, I would rather mine not being held up anymore rather than having socket-able nubs!

No, the amount of mass produced nubs is no issue. The machine can spit out a few thousands within one or two days, the 200 were decided by the nub company for testing. 150 went to Texas for testing, 20 to Michael and 30 have been tested by themselves.

Good stuff. The nub company seem like pretty cool guys. I think the nubs are a pretty big part of what makes the pandora cooler than other handhelds too.

Cheers for the update.

Hey guys,

I just noticed my name on Pandorapress today (I'm rabidpoobear on the gp32x board) and I was wondering if I was the one who was supposed to go check on the boards?

I remember there was someone else who also lives nearby. I'm happy to do it, and I have a friend with an HD camera for recording / stills, but I won't be back in Richardson until next sunday so it would have to be next week.

ED, just let me know here or send me an e-mail, I'm happy to do it, but it'll have to be after the thanksgiving vacation (starting on the 29th.)

This is great news, well done!

I think the board company not being able to show him anything is a tell tale sign they haven't had the Pandora at the top of their priority list and might be stalling until they can get something setup.

But I know nothing of populating boards for portable consoles so I might be barking up the wrong tree.

I'm still baffled by the feat delivered by the OP team, it's such an amazing huge project and unique to be done by such a little group. Especially with funds being provided by the buyers who could kill it off at any moment if more then x% would've asked for a refund. I take my hat off to you, I can't imagine the stress you guys have been going through, especially with the added pressure from the customers.

I hope you guys stick together and do some more great things. I'll certainly be a part of it again. I also hope that, although I understand it has financial consequences and choices had to be made with the limited funds at hand, you will make sure you're on the spot and making sure stuff gets done next time you start working with a new company. Maybe, in hindsight, your lives would've been a lot less stressfull at the production side if you would've been in their faces for at least the first run.

Not giving you any stick, I make mistakes in my company almost every day and they are only a waste of money if you don't learn anything from them. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey guys,

I just noticed my name on Pandorapress today (I'm rabidpoobear on the gp32x board) and I was wondering if I was the one who was supposed to go check on the boards?

I remember there was someone else who also lives nearby. I'm happy to do it, and I have a friend with an HD camera for recording / stills, but I won't be back in Richardson until next sunday so it would have to be next week.

ED, just let me know here or send me an e-mail, I'm happy to do it, but it'll have to be after the thanksgiving vacation (starting on the 29th.)
D'oh, because you mentioned it before I was just guessing you were the one ED mentioned.

Seems not to be the case, oh well, sorry for the confusion.

Hi everyone!

One question: Does all this mean, there are now 75 finished boards complete with 100% working nubs waiting in Texas? Are these going to be shipped now or will you make them wait for more finished boards? I'd rather appreciate getting mine asap to be honest...

It would be really sweet if whoever the lucky person that gets the tour tomorrow in Texas gets a picture with the goateee guy and themself in front of that huge American Flag holding a Pandora board. It would make my week.

Peace & Pandora,

Link

Back