Release Minecraft (launcher)

ptitSeb

Serial Porter
Here is the Minecraft launcher.

preview2.png

Using a regular launcher from Windows or Linux, you can launch Minecraft on the Pandora.
Note that Minecraft is vrey demanding, on CPU (and GPU), so don't expect to much Framerate of it.

This port use gl4es.

Still, if you use on overclocked Gigahertz Pandora, and with the use of the OptiFine mod (install it like if your are on PC, or install it on a PC and then copy everything on the Pandora), you can reach pleable Framerates, like shown in this nice video from Ingoreis:

Minecraft launcher is featured on Pandoralive here.

Note that the rendering is not 100% perfect yet. Menu background animation is wrong, and there maybe some glitches here and there.

History log
=========

Build 10
----------

• Updated libs
  • Added lwjgl 3 (so compatible minecraft 1.13+)
  • embedded a JRE 1.8
Build 09
----------

• Updated libs
Build 08
----------

• Updated gl4es
Build 07
----------

• Updated many native libs
  • Added detection and launching of OptiFine mods
Build 06
----------

Build 05
----------

• Should be compatible with 1.8.3 minecraft version
Build 04
----------

• Compatible with latets Firmware SZ 1.62+
  • Latest glshim
Build 03
----------

• Java parameters can be changed (look at appdata/minecraft/home/.params)
Build 02
----------

• First release version
Build 01
----------

• Beta releases

Last edited:
It is getting better and better. :)
No chance to really play this onto my old CC Pandora but forGHz Users it's worth a try.
Today should be a new official MC snapshot release with alot of performance optimizing included, I've seen pics from the MC devs on twitter where their new test builds reach over 2000 (!) FPS.
MC should also support Multi threading in the future so it runs much better onto Processors like the Pyra will have one. ^^

https://twitter.com/SeargeDP/status/491594238329499648

https://twitter.com/SeargeDP/status/491705316338593794

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm Multithreading?

Maybe we can use the Pandora

Neon Coprocessor with that with some Things?

Mean you we can use additional Neon here for little more Performance?Or DSP?

Ever little FPS Count ;)

In the Video i let the Chunks so far because i wanted to see the Clouds.

When you want can i make a Video with not so many visible Chunks and without Sun,without Clouds.

But its then a very naked Minecraft.

@Ekianjo

Nice Article,thx for naming me too ;)

Maybe you can insert the new Video in your Article with the more FPS in the Optifine Text?

@FusionPower

Time to Upgrade to 1 GHZ :)

@Ptitseb

Thhhhxxxx ;)

@FusionPower

Time to Upgrade to 1 GHZ :)
Lol, no. Time to wait for the Pyra I would say. ;) However, I prefer Minecraft onto the PC, I need propper Mouse+Keyboard first person Controls to do my construction magic in Minecraft. No way I could build decent stuff onto an Console or Handheld. I'm still impressed that people can play Minecraft onto an Console with an Controller.

This DSP power on the Pandora needs to be tapped into ... Man!  Pandora still has so much untapped potentials, they are just not used atm :(

Neon Coprocessor with that with some Things?
Neon isn't a co-processor.. it's an instruction set that the OMAP3 and other ARM processors utilizes.

This DSP power on the Pandora needs to be tapped into ... Man! Pandora still has so much untapped potentials, they are just not used atm :(
It's your time to step up, here's some light reading to get you started.. http://www.ti.com/lit/ug/spru732j/spru732j.pdf
I did :)

lHPVZm9.png

Multithreading doesn't help for the Pandora. It would only help (probably a lot) if some work (best integer work) could be loaded to the DSP. But this would have to done by decompiling minecraft classes, per hand optimization and a bindings between the Java VM and the DSP.

A speed-optimized version of Minecraft has been released:

https://mojang.com/2014/07/minecraft-snapshot-14w30a/

Might work a bit faster, eh?
Just tried. It work, but seems to need a lot of memory to run well (don't use -Xmx200M with it for example, I have seen the memory satirated quickly).

Speed-wise, I have't notice improvement on the Pandora, but I may need more testing (testing again with -Xmx400M). Seems to me that 1.7.9+OptiFine is faster.

Multithreading doesn't help for the Pandora. It would only help (probably a lot) if some work (best integer work) could be loaded to the DSP. But this would have to done by decompiling minecraft classes, per hand optimization and a bindings between the Java VM and the DSP.
Pandora has only a single core CPU so of course Multi Threading won't help. But the Pyra CPU will be Dual core afaik so there could be benefits.

Just tried. It work, but seems to need a lot of memory to run well (don't use -Xmx200M with it for example, I have seen the memory satirated quickly).Speed-wise, I have't notice improvement on the Pandora, but I may need more testing (testing again with -Xmx400M). Seems to me that 1.7.9+OptiFine is faster.
Hm, at least onto the PC the new performance boost goes through the roof when I read the user comments. Try to use a low view distance, this can save tons of memory. Mojang optimized alot and they went away from the old "advanced OpenGL" option for example:https://twitter.com/SeargeDP/status/491613295548567552 Don't know if this somehow affects the Pandora version.

Pandora has only a single core CPU so of course Multi Threading won't help. But the Pyra CPU will be Dual core afaik so there could be benefits.

Just tried. It work, but seems to need a lot of memory to run well (don't use -Xmx200M with it for example, I have seen the memory satirated quickly).
Speed-wise, I have't notice improvement on the Pandora, but I may need more testing (testing again with -Xmx400M). Seems to me that 1.7.9+OptiFine is faster.
Hm, at least onto the PC the new performance boost goes through the roof when I read the user comments. Try to use a low view distance, this can save tons of memory. Mojang optimized alot and they went away from the old "advanced OpenGL" option for example:https://twitter.com/SeargeDP/status/491613295548567552 Don't know if this somehow affects the Pandora version.
Yup, maybe they are using the Occlusion query that was part of the advanced OpenGL before by default now. It's not supported in glshim for now (maybe when Depth reading will be supported, that could be done too).

Another Idea for Little Speedup is deactivate the Zram.
Zram compress Memory and need CPU too.

PPSSPP work little faster without Zram too.

Another Idea for Little Speedup is deactivate the Zram.
Zram compress Memory and need CPU too.

PPSSPP work little faster without Zram too.
How do you disable Zram?  Command please :)

I'm having trouble getting the framerate ingoreis got in his video. I'm using minecraft 1.7.10 and optifine A4 light and have overclocked to 1.2 ghz but I'm still only getting 0-3 fps. How can I increase my framerates? 

I'm having trouble getting the framerate ingoreis got in his video. I'm using minecraft 1.7.10 and optifine A4 light and have overclocked to 1.2 ghz but I'm still only getting 0-3 fps. How can I increase my framerates? 
First, be patient, you don't get thoses framerate in the first minute or 2.

Put everything to low/off on the Graphics options of OptiFine.

Also he upped his system speed to 450 as well.. Assuming you have a 1Ghz Pandora (don't use the numbers below if you have a CC and Rebirth which has 332 as default speed. you may be able to push it to 370 on those units.):

sudo /usr/pandora/scripts/op_sysspeed.sh 450
the default is 400 if you want to revert.
How do you disable Zram?
Code:
sudo swapoff /dev/zram0
turn back on..
Code:
sudo swapon -p 5 /dev/zram0
edit: updated the swapon command to the right one.

Is there a way I can turn the -server and -Xbatch parameters off or on for the new repo versions? I think the version that had been the most playable for me is still the one with those parameters turned off, but will need to keep testing. It may have been slightly slower, but the current version will freeze for 1 second or so every 5-10 seconds, and I think I prefer slower speed with less freezing.

Back