Gmenu2x

will it detect things through samba? i dont have anything on my SD card, its all on my PC and i access it via samba.. and once i get my external HDD/BoB ill use that..will it support that?

Never used samba but I think that all you need to do is make the link so that they point to the samba directory.

For the future, when I'll implement the scanner, I'll keep in mind that there may be this necessity. I think that it'll support any path but it's a bit too soon.

Nice work. I would like you to take a look at Mocca (http://gp2xforge.rix0r.nl/projects/mocca), though. There are some really good ideas in it. I used it some weeks, but sadly it seems that nobody works on it anymore. :(

This is very neat! I like it a lot, 'specially since I don't have to re-arrange my directories, just point to where everything is. Thanks :)

DaveC posted on Aug 7 2006 at 09:12 AM said:
Looks ok but it really doesn't make good use of space. There are still only 6 things on screen to choose from and it is too linear. This means alot of scrolling to get to what you want. It looks PSP ish. Just because the PSP does it like that doesn't make it the best solution though.

gp2xmenu4.png

that does look great. what other menu systems have been published so far? all i seem to find are skins.

thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, it's time for another cry for help :p

I cannot get the link for fceUltra (the NES emu I use) to work. Here's One that I set up that does work:

Code:
title=DrMD
description=SEGA Genesis,SMS,GG Emulator
icon=/mnt/sd/Apps_Emulators/Genesis.png
screen=screens/genesis.png
exec=/mnt/sd/Apps_Emulators/Genesis.gpe

^ This links to this script (which in turn, launches DrMD from its folder):

Code:
#!/bin/sh

/mnt/sd/cpu_speed 1 2 200 0.6
cd /mnt/sd/DrMD/
./DrMDv5b5.gpe
sync

cd /usr/gp2x/
exec /usr/gp2x/gp2xmenu

Again, this works fine ... so does the link to my GneoGeo script, and my full demo for Vektar ... but the NES one does not:

Code:
title=fceUltra
description=NES emulator
icon=/mnt/sd/Apps_Emulators/NES.png
screen=screens/nes.png
exec=/mnt/sd/Apps_Emulators/NES.gpe

... this points to my launch script:

Code:
#!/bin/sh

cd /mnt/sd/
./cpu_speed 1 2 233 0.6

cd /mnt/sd/gpfce_v02
./selector ./gpfce_swapbuttons_config > ./gpfce.log
sync

cd /usr/gp2x/
exec /usr/gp2x/gp2xmenu

Now, there's nothing wrong with my script as posted above; it works fine outside of this launcher ... I'm not sure how to 'pass parameters' to launch it. I'm stumped :(

if we could get one single menu replacement that takes all the good ideas and abilities of other menu replacements and combines them all that would be great.

mocca was nice because it had a nice interface and it would show you the error log if any program crashed and you went back to mocca.

wanx was cool because thought it used links there was the script mentioned before that scanned your sd and automatically made links. plus it allowed overclocking without cpu_speed scripts.

How about something where this one lists categories

Launching.png

then it links to this one with all the apps or videos or files of the corresponding category?

gp2xmenu4.png

[/quote]

gp2xmenu4.png

This is what any menu should strive to be.

That being said, this work is FANTASTIC so far. I will never use the stock menu again. I love it.

Thanks for all the compliments. I already redesigned the interface and is now made of 4 rows x 6 columns with a total of 24 links on screen.

It's running on my gp2x and it feels good. There are still a couple of things that I want to implement before release but we are near...

@TelcoLou: I'll try to reproduce the error, your link seems good to me. I'll post the results soon.

Quick question -- How does this jive with TV-out toggling? Possible? Easy to set up?

This looks extremely promising and I'm looking forward to trying it. TV-out is an important feature to me though, and I want to make sure that's not gonna be a problem.

Never tried tv-out but I'll test it when I have some time.

@TelcoLou: Your link works for me. I can't reproduce you error. Can you post the output of gmenu2x? maybe there are some insights there...

And here it is a screenshot of the actual status of version 0.2

Gmenu2x-0.2_preview.png

Looking great!

And a great idea: my 2Gb card is getting to be a bit of a pain to navigate around at this stage with all the emus and programs I've got on there, so this app will come in really handy.

Loubear posted on Aug 8 2006 at 06:03 PM said:
That is fantastic...I especially love the bottom bar showing the clock speed and the memory usage...
The clock speed is not just for showing, it's the clock speed that will be set before launching the selected link. So it's a feature that easily allows under/overclock of every app.

Ryo posted on Aug 8 2006 at 10:23 AM said:
Loubear posted on Aug 8 2006 at 06:03 PM said:
That is fantastic...I especially love the bottom bar showing the clock speed and the memory usage...
The clock speed is not just for showing, it's the clock speed that will be set before launching the selected link. So it's a feature that easily allows under/overclock of every app.
Excellent-looking progress!

Once you have the "scan my SD card" feature in I'll switch to this and never look back!

Back