Gmenu2x V0.5 Released

rooster posted on Sep 5 2006 at 06:02 AM said:
this app is great. vast improvement on the default menu.
i've made some new icons for the spectrum emulators, lynx emulators + milky tracker.
also, setting the clock down to about 74mhz for the music player is great, I figured that's the bare minimum for mp3s upto 320kbps without any problems (lower speeds i found stutter or freeze up occasionally). I'm sure oggs will need a higher clock for the extra processing but most of the time 74 is working great and saving my batteries like crazy.

has anyone had problems with TV Out ? I've found it only displays half the menu on my PAL TV and flickers quite a lot.. also does anyone know if the TV Out generic fixer app works with this?

Yes I had the flickering half screen thing in 0.4 (I'm still to try 0.5 on TV)
But the good news is if you run the TV-out fixer it will fix the display for you. Only problem is that some programs won't like it. I think Beats of Rage crashes if I try to run it after the TV-out fixer has been started.

Last edited by a moderator:
Slight issue:

I made a new background, and after putting it in the folder, I experienced freezing after a few seconds of navigating in gmenu2x.

Easy solution:

I jumped the menu clock speed to 100mhz.

:D

deepmenace posted on Sep 7 2006 at 11:52 AM said:
mine hangs when i try to add an icon?

anyone seen that? ideas?

have boosted it to 100mhz
Is your 2x's SD write protected? Flick the switch to lock then back again, try again.

PokeParadox posted on Sep 7 2006 at 12:03 PM said:
The 2X ignores the SD write-protection switch...
Does it really? LOL in that case... I dont know then.

maybe add the ability to change the brightness? i dont know if you can, but it would be helpful in some games :D

I think integrating the rest of the OC program we used for 1.X firmwares would be great. my current autorun.gpu has a line to set the gamma to .6 and the udp pull and everything so it reduces scanlines as well as launches gmenu2x.

I'm trying to integrate a brightness setting but it doesn't work as expected...
I use the code of the cpu_speed utility as a reference, it works good in gmenu2x but when I launch a link the game runs with the default brightness (I tried using absurd settings to be sure) I'll see if I can sort out the issue...

As i stated, 50mhz works fine too, but its too damn slow for me. That 1/4 second lag irritates me lol. And anything from 60-90 for me crashes on boot. So I use 100mhz.

Another thing I just realised not sure if it is actually there but could you make sure the battery low power LED comes on if the battery indicatory falls below 30% or something? (does it even come on now as it is as I haven't noticed)

EDIT: How funny ... :\ I turned my GP2X on and the batt led comes on lol but according to GMenu its 0% left eh ?

DBH posted on Sep 8 2006 at 04:36 PM said:
How funny ... :\ I turned my GP2X on and the batt led comes on lol but according to GMenu its 0% left eh ?
Rounding error ;)

Could you add a wrapper option in the menu, or even make it default? It's frustrating going into the crappy menu after I quit stuff.

PSyMastR posted on Sep 10 2006 at 06:52 PM said:
Doesn't the constant check for the battery level actually drain it a bit more?

Well it's not that constant since it's only checked once every minute...

Alvin posted on Sep 10 2006 at 08:58 PM said:
Could you add a wrapper option in the menu, or even make it default? It's frustrating going into the crappy menu after I quit stuff.

The wrapper option of the links is editable in the next version, but it's meant to be used with those programs that don't automatically relaunch the menu after they quit.

Your problem is different, all you have to do is use the autorun feature and gmenu2x will be automatically loaded after you quit programs instead of the crappy menu (and it's already the default installation)

Ryo posted on Sep 10 2006 at 08:29 PM said:
Your problem is different, all you have to do is use the autorun feature and gmenu2x will be automatically loaded after you quit programs instead of the crappy menu (and it's already the default installation)

Ah, works now! Thanks. Best menu evar!

Back