Gmenu2X

Pickle said:
Just so everyone knows a work around the reload problem is to replace gp2xmenu with a script of the same name that loads gmenu2x. You can rename/move the gp2xmenu if you want to save it.
Is it possible to write a script to do this without setting up USB networking and dropbear?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reo said:
Pickle said:
Just so everyone knows a work around the reload problem is to replace gp2xmenu with a script of the same name that loads gmenu2x. You can rename/move the gp2xmenu if you want to save it.
Is it possible to write a script to do this without setting up USB networking and dropbear?

yup, just copy the real menu to sd (as a backup) and replace with the one you want or a script that will lauch gmenu2x from sd or whatever nothing special basic copy commands you can look up or know about :)

Hmmm, I don't know if this is a bug or user error (most likely the latter, lol) but when I try to launch a ROM using the Gmenu2X browser, it just loads into the emulator front-end rather than launching the selected ROM.

Any thoughts?

Cheers

Alex

alisk222 said:
Hmmm, I don't know if this is a bug or user error (most likely the latter, lol) but when I try to launch a ROM using the Gmenu2X browser, it just loads into the emulator front-end rather than launching the selected ROM.

Any thoughts?

Cheers

Alex

no bug and this is probably intended, the emulator either wasn't programmed to get command line arguments or your giving the wrong ones, read readme's and if it's not developped that way you'd just have to use the emulator frontend

joyrider said:
no bug and this is probably intended, the emulator either wasn't programmed to get command line arguments or your giving the wrong ones, read readme's and if it's not developped that way you'd just have to use the emulator frontend

Aha, I see - thanks ;)

Joyrider, as far as i could figure out, no part of the NAND is writable. I tried replacing the samba daemon but couldn't. There are a few config folders mounted on the ramfs (or what ever it is called), but these directories are wiped after a reboot. Probably any saved options are stored on sd card? I'm not sure about that though. The screen on my Caanoo is now defective, so i cannot check more details right now :(

But I have tried to remount the root filesystem as read/write, but i didn't manage. Mind you, i am no linux expert, so it could be just me. I really don't understand why it shouldn't be a snap to remount it. I don't think firmware updates require write access to the root filesystem. I don't think firmware updates are run from linux. I believe it is uboot or something? If so, then linux hasn't even started. Maybe some expert can shed some light on that.

So unless gp2xmenu can be set to autorun some application on boot, or we can figure out how to remount the filesystem, we are pretty much completely stuck.

/Uni

u9i said:
Joyrider, as far as i could figure out, no part of the NAND is writable. I tried replacing the samba daemon but couldn't. There are a few config folders mounted on the ramfs (or what ever it is called), but these directories are wiped after a reboot. Probably any saved options are stored on sd card? I'm not sure about that though. The screen on my Caanoo is now defective, so i cannot check more details right now :(

But I have tried to remount the root filesystem as read/write, but i didn't manage. Mind you, i am no linux expert, so it could be just me. I really don't understand why it shouldn't be a snap to remount it. I don't think firmware updates require write access to the root filesystem. I don't think firmware updates are run from linux. I believe it is uboot or something? If so, then linux hasn't even started. Maybe some expert can shed some light on that.

So unless gp2xmenu can be set to autorun some application on boot, or we can figure out how to remount the filesystem, we are pretty much completely stuck.

/Uni

yeah sorry i forgot to mention that, i noticed it recently also that the file system is mounted, i always presumed it was mounted writeable, and i have never had to copy anything over until recently, a remount didn't help with me either, i couldn't get write access to it no matter what i tried, but i aint no linux experts either, i'm not even sure how they did this though...

This thing is great! Only problem is it fairly often goes to a black screen when you close an emulator (especially the SNES and Neo Geo emulators) and you have to turn the machine off. But it's definitely a lot cooler looking and nicer to use than the original!

Is there any way to move the top bar down a bit, though? At the moment the top of the screen is cut off by the Caanoo's screen border.

Popcorn Dave said:
This thing is great! Only problem is it fairly often goes to a black screen when you close an emulator (especially the SNES and Neo Geo emulators) and you have to turn the machine off. But it's definitely a lot cooler looking and nicer to use than the original!

Is there any way to move the top bar down a bit, though? At the moment the top of the screen is cut off by the Caanoo's screen border.

i think it goes to a black screen because some program's might crash or the menu doesn't restart like it should, we can't replace the default gp2xmenu with a script to run gmenu2x, since the nand is read only, if we could do that the blackscreen would probably go away... you could try to run gmenu2x from telnet, or tell us which program is causing this behavior and if it happens all the time (with that same application) that way we can see what happens :)

Well I tested all the emulators I've got and Snes9X4C crashes on closing every time. GnGeo and Gpsp seem to be okay now, they just send you back to the default menu. Picodrive actually sends you back to Gmenu2x, which is neat. If they can do it, maybe other programs can as well?

Popcorn Dave said:
Well I tested all the emulators I've got and Snes9X4C crashes on closing every time. GnGeo and Gpsp seem to be okay now, they just send you back to the default menu. Picodrive actually sends you back to Gmenu2x, which is neat. If they can do it, maybe other programs can as well?

ok i'll test those when i get home and see if i can find a way around it somehow... programs can go around the problems though if sources are availible... what programmers could do is see if for example /mnt/sd/autorun.gpe exists on the sd card and run that instead of just quiting or starting the default menu... You could still hack around it if the program in question is hardcoded to launch the default menu... but i won't explain how since it involves changing binaries with hex editors and i wouldn't like to see new binaries floating around the net when for example source code was avaible or the authors are still working it (it can be requested to do so then)..

Problem is it's all up to the developpers on how they implement it...

another thing you could check is that the emulators that return to the default menu (gp2xmenu) don't come with a small script that launches it, if that's the case you can easily change the script to launch gmenu2x or whatever you like instead :) (you can check this by looking at the gpe file size, if it's really small like lower then 5-10KB it's probably a script that will launch the emulator and afterwards the default menu again... Just open it with notepad2 or notepad++ so any linux line endings capable editor and you can edit the file (so notepad.exe from windows is not an option !)

Well, you were right, GnGeo and Gpsp both have scripts that launch the default menu. They go:

Code:
cd /usr/gp2x
exec ./gp2xmenu

I looked in the Gmenu2x broswer, and usr/gp2x are in /ubifs. How can I make the "cd" command link to a folder on the SD card?

Thanks for having a look at the other programs BTW, I don't really know enough to do any of this stuff myself.

EDIT: Interestingly PicoDrive.gpe reads like this in Notepad++:

Code:
#!/bin/sh

export LD_PRELOAD=

if ! [ -e /dev/accel ]; then
	# Wiz
	export POLLUX_RAM_TIMINGS='ram_timings=2,9,4,1,1,1,1'
	export POLLUX_LCD_TIMINGS_NTSC='lcd_timings=397,1,37,277,341,0,17,337;clkdiv0=9'
	export POLLUX_LCD_TIMINGS_PAL='lcd_timings=428,1,37,277,341,0,17,337;clkdiv0=10'
fi

./PicoDrive "$@"

cd /usr/gp2x
exec ./gp2xmenu

So it's supposed to go back to the default menu as well, but it's more complex than the other .gpe files so maybe that's why it ends up going back to Gmenu2x. I don't see how though.

basically all you need to edit are always these 2 lines :
Code:
cd /usr/gp2x
exec ./gp2xmenu

the first cd command you to change to the directory where gmenu2x is installed like cd /mnt/sd/gmenu2x
the second exec command you have to change to ./gmenu2x

that's it replace the gpe (script) files and your good to go :)

Thanks, that did the job fine. Poor Snes9X4C is still crashing though, but I guess that one's beta anyway.

hey just started messing around with this... it's kinda nice, takes a little configuring but I kinda like it....

anyway, did anyone ever fix the overclock on this? it doesn't appear to be working in any emulators from what I can tell.

CAN someone fix the overclock on this?

pretty please? kthxbai

jb0yx said:
not a peep huh?
iirc overclocking was fixed in one of the later firmwares, so that it works the same way as it does on the wiz.

crow_riot said:
iirc overclocking was fixed in one of the later firmwares, so that it works the same way as it does on the wiz.
this was supposedly a port from the wiz, but OC'ing doesn't appear to be working on this...

I may be wrong, would be nice if someone can confirm it's functionality or not

It's possible for individual programs to implement autoboot.gpu options, I've seen one have an option to search for and launch autoboot.gpu instead of returning to gp2xmenu.

It's an option I'd love to see in many more applications but the real solution is GPH themselves adding proper Autoboot support, something I really want.

Back