Gamescom, sensor upgrade and other nice news

Went to Gamescom today, so made some pictures (didn't take many, so I can't spoil any fun for visitors).
The booth had a nice LED display powered by a raspberrypi showing PYRA with fire effects, looked really nice.
There were multiple devices around. Seen a GameGear with the LCD upgrade and everdrive, the screen is really clear compared to the original.
Also the GPD (Android) and Open Pandora were around.
On the main stage (table next tot the booth) there were the Pyra and the GPD-Win, the GPD-Win had an additional battery pack as it ran out of power (also the Pandora could charge the GPD-Win).

Multiple Pyra prototypes were available, the gray unit was most working one. It booted, (touch)screen/keyboard/nubs all worked. I didn't do to much, started a browser and clicked around a bit.
My first impression is it looked and felt sturdy. It also reminded me a lot about my Pandora, which isn't that weird, it was in a comfortable way. It's newer, but it hasn't change that much that you're lost. I bet you'll notice when you switch back to a Pandora and you're missing the new features.
The keyboard backlight worked nicely, I was wondering how much it would bother me but it actually didn't do that at all. At first I didn't know it was on, the keys were clearly readable (and there was enough light already). When making it darker you noticed the keys kept being clearly readable, which is a really nice feature. The keyboard also feels nice.
There also was a clear case Pyra, this one didn't boot though, but the case was a bit more tweaked I guess as the triggers felt better and the nubs were really smooth.

The GPD-Win was also available. First impression was that it looked more shiny, which looks a tat more sleek then the Pyra, and it felt a bit lighter. When holding it I noticed it was a bit warmer then the Pyra was (didn't notice any heat from Pyra btw).
Steam was open and I notice that was hard to read from the display, but you could configure font size if you would dislike this. I noticed as I could read clearly from the Pyra screen (the unit still had the discolorating touchscreen) but not from the GPD-Win, but I guess that's fixable as both devices have 720p screens.
The keyboard is default lay-out, which in my case makes stuff easy to find, but it's so cramped it makes it hard to type. The keys did feel plastic-like, but worked. The triggers felt really flimsy (big plastic buttons that react late), while the Pyra ones felt they reacted faster and has less travel.

When walking around I've also seen a booth with the Smach-Z, the unit is really big compare to the Pyra (or even a GameGear I guess). It worked, had full steam-like controllers on there and full-size triggers.
So if anyone is visiting the Gamescom and wonders if it even exists, there is a working prototype to view. When seeing a Pyra and GPD-Win the device is a bit less impressive, but never the less it's nice if there a more (working) portable handhelds in the world.

Additionally, I could play around with some VR stuff (which everyone has this year, not only the people producting them, so you can actually try them). The Vive was pretty nice, I didn't see myself waving/walking around (just like fist-time seeing a Wii) a controller, but the impression was good. Shame you have to have a cable to the headset, and you can hit other visitors (or in my case the guy from the booth) in the face without knowing.
The Oculus Rift, yes it was my first time trying it on (I did use other HMD before though), was easy to use a felt like a good product. I didn't expect to see pixels, but I did. I guess you don't care if the game is immersive enough. Even so it did look good, nice big field of view.
And I played with a Samsung VR set (the one were you click on a phone as VR). This one had issues for me, as you need to tweak the images to create the best field of depth, but from experience you need some time to get used to the setting which wasn't so for the OR/Vive.
[doublepost=1471478074,1471475689][/doublepost]Some pics:

The GPD-Win (you've seen the Pyra, right?)
GPD-Win.jpg
Groupshot, my Pandora, the Pyra and the GPD-Win
groupshot_front.jpg
Need some more power GPD-Win? Did you know you Pandora can be used as a charger?
PandoraChargesGPDWin.jpg
From the top (the Pyra logo fell off)
groupshop_top.jpg
Showing the ports on the back (Pandora/Pyra/GPDWin)
groupshot_back.jpg

And a (very) short video:
[doublepost=1471478971][/doublepost]In case you ever wonder: Is it busy on Wednesdays?
This was the line when entering the north entrance at Kölnmesse for me today.
Unbusy.jpg

Maybe I like that get more than I thought.

Thanks for sharing everything. You answered a bunch of questions for me, and those pics are exactly what I was looking for.
[doublepost=1471480234,1471479960][/doublepost]How did the hinges feel compared to the Pandora?

The hinges were not good yet. All parts need to fit correctly and the cases didn't have the fit that the Pandora had. This would be working okay on the tweaked case. It actually fell to fully open sometimes.
Thee GPD-Win had two setting, half open and fully open. I like the Pandora one better, you can put it anywhere.

No pics of the booth, if you have seen it before then imagine it with updated posters and a big LED screen.
I guess ED will post some pics showing the booth, as he does every year. But he usually does it after a few days. ED was in his nice shirt today, more formal then in the Pyra t-shirt. Wednesday is business I guess :)

In case you ever wonder: Is it busy on Wednesdays?
This was the line when entering the north entrance at Kölnmesse for me today.

Wednesday is business I guess :)
The first day of Gamescom is actually business and media "only". Exceptions may be made and some people from the general public may be allowed in, but there's no guarantee.

I hope the Pyra still fits in my front jeans pocket, like my Pandora. I like to keep important things there as it is difficult to lose or forget them -- their presence can be felt and they cannot easily fall out (or be stolen).

Seeing them all side by side was great, but I was surprised how chunky the Pyra looks in comparison to even the Pandora. I wasn't expecting that TBH.
Indeed. It almost looks like the Pandora is the second iteration of the device instead of the first. @TeDaDeS, did it feel as chunky as it looks?

Seeing them all side by side was great, but I was surprised how chunky the Pyra looks in comparison to even the Pandora. I wasn't expecting that TBH.
I was surprised too but I like a solid base - it gives the whole thing better handling imho and the corners are automatically less "sharp" (if you know what I mean).

I was at GamesCom yesterday, and the prototype didn't feel chunky at all, at least not while holding it :) Didn't try to put it in my pocket though (for obvious reasons).

It did not feel clunky, it felt like a Pandora but little bit smoother. But as I mentioned I didn't play any games on it, so not sure how ir feels like when using it a long time.

People other than ED should try a Pyra in their pocket so we can get additional pocket sizes and opinions. Just don't "forget" you are testing the pocketability when walking away. Since it is so close to the original GB size I shouldn't have any problems, but it won't be comfortable, and there will be quite a bulge.

Maybe it is time for me to get another of those pink and black fanny packs I had back when I first got my GB (I have been looking for an excuse for a few years). If anyone finds/makes decent holsters let us know so the nerdier amongst us can get in on it.

That has a bit too much going on for me, with lots of places that can get snagged on stuff off walking to close to something. It is a good price, so if it is fairly durable I might try to get one if Idon't come across something better. It even comes in camo print, but the real treat is the brown on the camo one.

That has a bit too much going on for me, with lots of places that can get snagged on stuff off walking to close to something. It is a good price, so if it is fairly durable I might try to get one if Idon't come across something better. It even comes in camo print, but the real treat is the brown on the camo one.
If you find something fitting with less stuff on it, please let me know.

Seems I missed the other options. Looking through them all now, and I like that khaki.

Edit: Would it fit in this one? [Removed]
I can't read much, but it looks sturdy enough for the price.
Edit 2: Screw it, I can't get the right link. I am talking about the khaki one in the middle size that doesn't have the zipper. It would be nice if they reinforced the stitching, but I would expect it to cost much more for that.

Last edited:
Back