Extra Features That People Wish The Most

accelerometer because I'm a sucker for the "little get the ball to the finish without getting it to fall in any of the holes" game

I would wet myself if it had a tablet function, mainly for videos.

may already be done, but i would like to see a small task bar that shows CPU Load, Battery Life, Time, Ram usage, connection status.

I'd like to have mini-VGA, mini-DVI, micro-DVI or any kind of similiar replacement (ie, RGB on EXT port).
I want connect Pandora to the PC monitor for productivity. Now I have only 2 options:
  1. USB to SVGA - which is affordable, but CPU consuming
  2. SVideo to SVGA - which is quite expensive (as I can't find some cheap, small and simple solution)
  3. PC monitor with SVideo or composite in (but I have just one with component in :-( )

.) some sort of VGA out (mini vga, dvi displayport whatever)
.) still more ram
.) a webcam

well, that'd be my personal wishlist. although 2 and 3 are not really important. the only thing i miss a bit on the pandora is not being able to hook it up to keyboard, mouse, monitor&ethernet and use it like a desktop machine :). and being able to give presentations via vga (as opposed to s-video).

do we have a torrent client for the pandora yet?

I could do all my downloading in silent then transfer to server once a day.

I'd love any kind of better video output than S-Video (VGA, DVI, RGB... they all beat S-Video hands down). Anything else I need (and hopefully enhanced video output as well) is likely possible to add through USB as long as there are drivers.

I would like:

- 7" screen
- 1 Gig of Ram
- 2+ Ghz ARM CPU
- 3G support

...but I am happy with the current specs o/t Pandora 1

My suggestion is more 5 yrs down the line when the pandora2 is in the works:

Toss out the KB and replace it with a touchscreen LCD. Then the keyboard laguage could be set by software rather then hardware.

hch said:
well, that'd be my personal wishlist. although 2 and 3 are not really important. the only thing i miss a bit on the pandora is not being able to hook it up to keyboard, mouse, monitor&ethernet and use it like a desktop machine :). and being able to give presentations via vga (as opposed to s-video).

webcam can be done via usb. Also, presentations are typically slow enough that you can use a USB->VGA adaptor. I wouldn't recommend them for games however.

Last edited by a moderator:
Squidge said:
hch said:

webcam can be done via usb. Also, presentations are typically slow enough that you can use a USB->VGA adaptor. I wouldn't recommend them for games however.

thanks for your reply. i looked around a bit and it seems that there is actually kernel and xorg support for (some?) of these usb->VGA adapters. i'll probably try to realize a docking station via a usb hub to keyboard, mouse and usb->VGA adapter then :lol:

edit:typo

Pandora 2 to use:

HD video output
Accelometer
User accessible internal "blazing fast" flash memory (2 gigs? prolly just for the OS )

/thread :p

A WWAN slot
2 USB ports
L2 and R2 buttons

that's all I can think of right now....

A lanyard hole.

I don't know how many times my Tapwave Zodiac got knocked out of my hands to be saved by the lanyard around my left wrist. If I can find a place to safely drill a 1/16" hole diagonally through the plastic on the Pandora, it will likely be the first device mod I do.

Kloplop321 said:
yes, a tablet mod would be all cool, but without a do-it-yourself kit, those licensing fees would come on us..
If you make a kit, the licensing fees would apply to the people making the kit. If you do it, it infringes- period. Now, if you have a way of doing it that involves off the shelf parts and show someone HOW to do it but don't provide anything other than the how-to, you MIGHT be okay there (Magic word there...Might...you might still be on the receiving end of a C&D letter/order...).

While it's serious cool to think in terms of a tablet mode, it just isn't going to be in the realm of anyone that doesn't have the full skills to come up with and implement the mod solely on their own and only for themselves.

atomicthumbs said:
token ring
There's ya a LOL of the day... Glad I wasn't sippin' my coffee when I read that- you'd be owning me a new keyboard... ;)

emcp said:
Heh... Didn't think of that didja? :D

i guess we were all hoping, youd try and make it easy for us
so most of us will get tablet via DIY, without you having to pay licensing fees

basically i guess we were hoping you get everything set up, and just some slight modification and wala

Nasty thing is, if you provide the kit, you're infringing. :D

If you come up with it on your own, by yourself, and don't share it, you're fine.
If you come up with it on your own, by yourself, and share the design in a How-To, you're on tenuous ground.
If you provide a kit, they'll come find you and sue you into oblivion.

anyway, just wondering, is the idea patented or is the hardware patented,

Largely speaking, the hardware that makes it generally possible to do this cleanly and robustly is covered by patents- as is the pop-down keyboards/keypads.

ive always wondered how lcd screens are attached, is the tablet mode some serious hardware work around in which is patented

Typically, it's via ribbons or bundles of very fine wires. You have to have the hinges, flexpoints, just right to make it all last thousands of cycles from laptop to tablet mode. The specific implementation of the best way (and the couple of other not as good ways...) to do this are patented.

nikkopt said:
Accelometer
Heh... I'm going to be in talks with a friend of mine to see if we can't get a bluetooth based micro-device built for a reasonable price point on that one.

Take the PCB, screen and battery, throw away the keyboard and gaming controls design a new case for tablet mode with some more shoulder/side buttons, a dpad on the front put it for sale for some € less, and I'll buy it any day. Why make an expensive convertible, that will break easily, when you can have two for the same money.

A 0.5A, 1.1 AND 2.0 capable USB-jack. I still think that's the worst thing about the actual design.

Balzac2m said:
A 0.5A, 1.1 AND 2.0 capable USB-jack. I still think that's the worst thing about the actual design.
I think that's the last bug in the design we know of that hasn't been slapped yet. (Will they... get the fix done... before they SHIP!? ;) )

Hmmm... what would I want... hmmm... maybe a webcam... maybe GPS... but honestly I think it's just perfect as it is. :)

Back