Emulation Vs Homebrew

Which do you care about more, emulation or homebrew?

• Total voters

Xian Long said:
God Ginrai said:
lulzfish said:
I didn't own any video games until the Game Boy Advance, and I'm certainly not interested in anything older than that.

That's sad, considering that the quality of video games have slowly been declining since around the time the GBA came out. Not that I'm saying that GBA games are bad, but from its release on, developers were less concerned about actual gameplay and more concerned with things like graphics. The most recent trend seems to be an obsession with gimmicks.

-God Ginrai
i'd say around the middle of the gba's lifetime, there were a great deal of quality games for that little machine.

and hello mr. fence. i'm going to eat you.
+1
Except that I won't eat you Mr. Fence. Xian Long will leave nothing. And we won't have where to sit...

Last edited by a moderator:
Xian Long said:
God Ginrai said:
lulzfish said:
I didn't own any video games until the Game Boy Advance, and I'm certainly not interested in anything older than that.

That's sad, considering that the quality of video games have slowly been declining since around the time the GBA came out. Not that I'm saying that GBA games are bad, but from its release on, developers were less concerned about actual gameplay and more concerned with things like graphics. The most recent trend seems to be an obsession with gimmicks.

-God Ginrai
i'd say around the middle of the gba's lifetime, there were a great deal of quality games for that little machine.

and hello mr. fence. i'm going to eat you.

I made sure to note that I wasn't specifically talk about GBA games, because I wanted to stress that I was using the date that the GBA came out, because that was the closest date to when this decline started to happen. Note the decline is seen more obviously with the consoles, not the GBA.

Vorporeal said:
God Ginrai said:
lulzfish said:

-God Ginrai

For the most part, I agree - but that rule doesn't quite apply (for the most part) to RPGs. Being so focused on story, gameplay is important, and graphics are sometimes sacrificed for the sake of a better story and better gameplay.

That aside, me and the fence are quite good friends. It's actually pretty comfortable up here. :D

Yea, RPGs have been pretty much the same quality since they were first created. (Obviously there are some shitty RPGs, just like there are genius ones, but overall they just hover around good quality)

-God Ginrai

Yeah, Proof of the quality of gaming moving towards graphics is how the PS3 uses the BluRay Medium to hold the game data(although full length games could be on a single disk(or more like the FF series)).
Though I am not 'dissing' any of the games.

Miknal said:
Prometheus said:
I'm afraid I can't vote - I'm pretty much equally interested in both. :p

Fine, just for you, the poll is amended :p
Haha, thanks. :D I have voted - hello to everyone else who's sitting up here on the fence. (I think it might just be getting a little bit crowded, though... :lol: )

Prometheus said:
Miknal said:
Prometheus said:
I'm afraid I can't vote - I'm pretty much equally interested in both. :p

Fine, just for you, the poll is amended :p
Haha, thanks. :D I have voted - hello to everyone else who's sitting up here on the fence. (I think it might just be getting a little bit crowded, though... :lol: )

All the cool kids hang out with Mr. Fence. ;)

-God Ginrai

While emulation will be nice, and ports - like Quake, thank you Pickle and team - will be excellent, I'm really more interested to see projects built specifically for this device and see where it goes. I have a few ideas of my own, but I am not a programmer, so if I do finally release the things it'll be a goodly while since the Pandora has actually been shipped.

What time is it when an elephant sits on your fence? Time to get a new fence!

Or, at least, to add extra support struts.

While emulation is a fine thing, and playing old much-loved classics is very dear to me, I also love some of the more envelope-pushing behaviour of indies. Things like World of Goo, Crayon Physics, Galcon and Gish have all proven interesting here, and there's a ton more even if Fez looks like it may never come out. Even old games spruced up - like the Quakes or Qwak - hold more appeal to me than the same-old-same-old of some of the commercial releases (a football manager? Again? Really?)

Monk said:
What time is it when an elephant sits on your fence? Time to get a new fence!

Or, at least, to add extra support struts.

While emulation is a fine thing, and playing old much-loved classics is very dear to me, I also love some of the more envelope-pushing behaviour of indies. Things like World of Goo, Crayon Physics, Galcon and Gish have all proven interesting here, and there's a ton more even if Fez looks like it may never come out. Even old games spruced up - like the Quakes or Qwak - hold more appeal to me than the same-old-same-old of some of the commercial releases (a football manager? Again? Really?)

I have to say that I will freak out if Crayon Physics and Fez (especially Fez) get ported to the Pandora.

EDIT: Anyone know what I would need to do to play TIM (The Incredible Machine) on my Pandora? I have no idea what methods would be available, but I miss that game and it doesn't work on my Windows install or my Linux install through WINE. :(

-God Ginrai

God Ginrai said:
EDIT: Anyone know what I would need to do to play TIM (The Incredible Machine) on my Pandora? I have no idea what methods would be available, but I miss that game and it doesn't work on my Windows install or my Linux install through WINE. :(

-God Ginrai
I had it running in DOSBox on the GP2X. :) It wasn't quite playable, but should be ok on Pandora. Check the more recent DOSBox threads in the '2X section for more info.

[edit] http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=42503

Well, they're releasing Fez on XBLA in early 2010 (according to their website, so it's for real). No word as to whether or not there will be a PC release as well, hopefully there will be.

If it's being released on XBLA (which implies XNA), a Pandora port wouldn't be the easiest thing for Polytron, so I wouldn't count on a Pandora port. :(

Gruso said:
God Ginrai said:

-God Ginrai
I had it running in DOSBox on the GP2X. :) It wasn't quite playable, but should be ok on Pandora. Check the more recent DOSBox threads in the '2X section for more info.

[edit] http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=42503

Thanks, I'll take a look.

-God Ginrai

Gruso said:
God Ginrai said:
EDIT: Anyone know what I would need to do to play TIM (The Incredible Machine) on my Pandora? I have no idea what methods would be available, but I miss that game and it doesn't work on my Windows install or my Linux install through WINE.
sad.gif

-God Ginrai
I had it running in DOSBox on the GP2X.
smile.gif
It wasn't quite playable, but should be ok on Pandora. Check the more recent DOSBox threads in the '2X section for more info.

[edit] http://www.gp32x.de...showtopic=42503

Based on my tests on the latest PC DOSBox, it ought to be VERY easily playable on the Pandora under DOSBox :D

I want the Pandora mainly to play Amiga- and SNES-games on it (full MAME incl. CPS-3 and the N64-Zeldas would be nice, too). So emulation has my vote.

God Ginrai said:
I have to say that I will freak out if Crayon Physics and Fez (especially Fez) get ported to the Pandora.
-God Ginrai
Indeed, this "FEZ" seems to be a very interesting project, sadly, it currently looks like it will be finished in 10 Years or so - good Homebrew is usualy sooo slow in Development...

I've voted for booth. I love Emulation but also good Homebrew. IF more Homebrew games would be the Quality of "Cave Story" or the emulated "original" Games we all love, I would be play much more HB games. :)
But there still is a huge gap between (for example) PSP and NDS Games and GP2X/ WIz... Games....
I don't say, that the comercial Handhelds have the better games BUT the comercial Games usualy LOOK better than Homebrew games, even if they are actualy crap. :D
So if more good HB games wuold also look like they could look, many people would tend to play more and more HB games I think. ^_^ I know that HB can be better as commercial games so I think the comparispn between HB and professional (emulated) games is legal.

This topic has really surprised me, I assumed most were in this project for the emulation of psx, snes etc, and a few hobbists doing homebrew as a bonus.

Shows how much I know!

Also, to the person how disliked my starting post in the topic, cheers, ha.

I voted Homebrew, as much as I love some oldschool games (Superfrog anyone?) Homebrew helps to encourage innovation in games, be they commercial or not.

IMO Homebrew is essential to gaming itself, because you dont just join a big games design company, you have to develop these skills, and if ur not pottering about making ur own little games, then where else are you gonna learn how to do it?

Even going through College/Uni you make small games and such to learn.

Monk said:
Gruso said:
God Ginrai said:
EDIT: Anyone know what I would need to do to play TIM (The Incredible Machine) on my Pandora? I have no idea what methods would be available, but I miss that game and it doesn't work on my Windows install or my Linux install through WINE.
sad.gif

-God Ginrai
I had it running in DOSBox on the GP2X.
smile.gif
It wasn't quite playable, but should be ok on Pandora. Check the more recent DOSBox threads in the '2X section for more info.

[edit] http://www.gp32x.de...showtopic=42503

Based on my tests on the latest PC DOSBox, it ought to be VERY easily playable on the Pandora under DOSBox :D

I do hope you are right. ^_^

-God Ginrai

Back