Emulation Vs Homebrew

Which do you care about more, emulation or homebrew?

• Total voters

Why is it considered "sitting on the fence" to be interested in doing more than one thing with a computer?

I picked both. Although I do plan on running C64, Amiga, Atari emulators and a zMachine interpreter, I do enjoy a lot of open source games that I'm sure will be ported (nethack, etc...). However, I would be very interested in playing and supporting new homebrew and Indie titles made for the Pandora. I really enjoy the community apps on XBox live, and I hope a community like that takes off for the Pandora.

God Ginrai said:
Monk said:
Based on my tests on the latest PC DOSBox, {The Incredible Machine} ought to be VERY easily playable on the Pandora under DOSBox
biggrin.gif

I do hope you are right.
happy.gif

-God Ginrai

As TIM is sitting on my machine installed in DOSBox, I dropped the cycles down to 2000 to test for you. Maybe a LITTLE stuttery, but perfectly playable on my 22" screen at 2000 cycles, with sound. The Pandora is hoped to achieve perhaps 3000 cycles... it should be a breeze unless something goes horribly, horribly wrong!

Last edited by a moderator:
Monk said:
God Ginrai said:
Monk said:
Based on my tests on the latest PC DOSBox, {The Incredible Machine} ought to be VERY easily playable on the Pandora under DOSBox
biggrin.gif

I do hope you are right.
happy.gif

-God Ginrai

As TIM is sitting on my machine installed in DOSBox, I dropped the cycles down to 2000 to test for you. Maybe a LITTLE stuttery, but perfectly playable on my 22" screen at 2000 cycles, with sound. The Pandora is hoped to achieve perhaps 3000 cycles... it should be a breeze unless something goes horribly, horribly wrong!

Awesome. Could you test that with The Even More Incredible Machine? o_ô I just noticed that that is what I actually have a copy of. If not, I understand.

-God Ginrai

Ok move over everyone and make room for me.
Started off with emulations on the GP2x as I did not know any better but have got more and more into homebrew.
I have a brand new 8Gb SDHC card for my Pandora (only 2mth to wait now) and I will be filling with all I can lay my hands on.
Beyond this I hope to use this beast for more than a games machine. Movies, music, programming, surfing, VNC/SSH client, ebooks, PDA.
Bring it on.

Strictly speaking about gaming on the Pandora, I expect most of mine to be done via emulation. I just didn't see much from the homebrew scene on the PSP that kept me interested for a good length like I have in emulation. But I do have great hopes, and am likely to try a great many games (often through recommendation) but I just didn't see enough games in the past on the PSP to expect many here.

God Ginrai said:
Awesome. Could you test that with The Even More Incredible Machine? o_ô I just noticed that that is what I actually have a copy of. If not, I understand.

Sorry, I don't beleive I have that at all :(

My games are scattered about the house/loft/shed in a manner that makes me wonder what my family and I have been taking for the last 15 years or so (for example, I found the box to Rebel Assault weeks ago but the CD only turned up the other day), but I don't even remember having that title :( sorry.

Loonie said:
Why is it considered "sitting on the fence" to be interested in doing more than one thing with a computer?

It is not.

I wrote which do you prefer, which infers liking one more than the other, not which are you interested in, which includes any vague interest you may have in either or them. But I assume most people here will use both at some point or another, so a topic gathering interest would have been a bit pointless. :)

Back