Extra Features That People Wish The Most

DAP said:
Why should the built in flash be used only for the OS? Why not applications and data? Why do laptops have large hard drive?

Think firmware.

Last edited by a moderator:
Squidge said:
Also we have some trays of OMAP chips without the memory attached to them if you would like photographs :)
Photos are always welcome!

A while ago, when an HDMI out was suggested, the reason given for not implementing this was that they could not come up with a way to connect other things to the video signals without messing up the impedance of the traces.

I just ran across this IC:
http://www.pericom.com/pdf/datasheets/PI3VDP612.pdf
I think this would solve the problem nicely.

This IC is for DisplayPort, (a better choice in my opinion), but there are equivalents for DVI or HDMI.

fwiw, I almost never use the tablet functionality of my Zaurus clamshell. I think I've actually only put it in tablet-mode just to do it, and never actually used it like that.

km2783 said:
fwiw, I almost never use the tablet functionality of my Zaurus clamshell. I think I've actually only put it in tablet-mode just to do it, and never actually used it like that.
same here. tablet mode is useless for me, too. and actually a bit of a nuisance due to the wobbly screen it causes.

Damn, almost forgot about giving it a backlit keyboard.

I don't know if it would be possible but it would rock if the screen could actually turn vertically. It would be especially cool for MAME and would have other uses too. It'd look goofy but who cares.

I just want them to get rid of that damn touchscreen and that stupid bluetooth

PoisonedV said:
I just want them to get rid of that damn touchscreen and that stupid bluetooth
I don't have much use for bluetooth, but some games just REQUIRE a touch screen (Aisleriot)

yea im going to go on a limb and say PV is just spouting off again 8)~

on that note im actualy realy looking forward to bluetooth for work related things but have to see how it fairs and the range/draw i get out of the Pandora.. so gota have one first lol

if i had to have only one extra feature ide probably say a better video out, but ive never used it on a handheld before so im not even sure i would with this. its more of a impress the people who dont get the whole "its cool BECAUSE it so small and not just a game device concept" :>

I'd agree with a lot that I've read here. My main thing though I'd like to see with any new version of the pandora would be the removal of svideo and in its place some sort of digital output. Reason why? Number one svideo looks awful, even next to vga. Also, for sake of argument let's say Pandora Version 2 started development sometime 2011 or 2012, with a release a couple of years after that. By that time analogue TV (and with it svideo) would be well and truly over, with digital TV just about everywhere. Svideo would look very old-fashioned by that time.

Also here's another thought - it would make the device larger but what about some sort of expansion slot or port (not for SD) in a pandora 2 ?

ljones

ljones said:
I'd agree with a lot that I've read here. My main thing though I'd like to see with any new version of the pandora would be the removal of svideo and in its place some sort of digital output. Reason why? Number one svideo looks awful, even next to vga.
I'm not so sure. Put a VGA output at 800*480 direct into a modern LCD Panel with a resolution of 1600*1200 and your picture is going to look awfully pixilated. The S-Video should actually benefit from the lack of clarity as the fuzzy analogue signal should make edges look more rounded than chunky upscaled digital pixels. I could be wrong, of course, but this is what I think the case will be.

Also here's another thought - it would make the device larger but what about some sort of expansion slot or port (not for SD) in a pandora 2

And where would this expansion port connect to? The Pandora already has the EXT port which is used for the SVideo and audio output (also, I believe, for adding a serial port), and USB. USB provides pretty much any expansion you can think of, so why add another propitiatory connector?

Personally, the only things I'd like to see in Pandora2 would be
  • Faster CPU
  • 2GB Internal Storage (separate from NAND and SD slots)
  • SIM socket for mobile Internet*
  • GPS
*Technically, would it be possible to create an SDIO card which would interface with a SIM card to act as a modem?

Hi everyone
I've been tracking Pandora for a while but its really looking good now.
I'd like to add a couple of features from my wishlist into the hat here...
  • Mini DVI socket rather than S-Video... or something that can be converted to full VGA/DVI easily
  • 2 more shoulder buttons
  • Lanyard hole
The 2 extra shoulder buttons would be cool! And give it full Playstation control functionality!

For me built-in GPS is not a big deal.
I always prefer to have a separate "disposable" GPS receiver placed somewhere other than where I want my actual receiver. At the moment I have a Holux M1200 Bluetooth GPS unit which I connect to my Sony Ericsson P1i phone and use with a great bit of Java software called TrekBuddy.
I use it when mountainbiking and skiing, so the small GPS receiver I just wear on my jacket/bag, then have my phone stored away in my pocket/bag.

Also I would be disappointed to see the keyboard get replaced by another touchscreen.

P2 should have

a very powerfull picoprojector, an energy efficient HDD, A better processor, remain open and have more commercial game devellopers, a G3 modem

something like that (plus some more bleeding edge technology that isnt available yet)

Back