Pandora 2 wish list - Ultimate Pandora

now that the trolls are hopefully settled some
If you can point out the trolling, I'll go and put some reports in. Although I must say that I must have missed it, as aside from a handful of daft replies, I can't find any such posts in this thread - were they deleted already?

If they were already removed, please disregard.

As for things we already have: Don't we already get socketed nubs with the second batch? Those most likely aren't going to be hot-swappable but still, additional types of input device are theoretically possible.
We don't have those yet, as far as I know. I'm pretty sure they're still just an "probably on the cards" sort of thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
I love mine just the way it is, but a board upgrade at some point in the future is a great idea. Oh, go on then; I'll take a backlit keyboard too :p

A board only upgrade would be a very nice way of recycling a Pandora, but what would you be willing to pay for a new (faster) board? Remember the board is pretty much almost all the cost of the Pandora (the screen is the only other significant part price wise).
Maybe £100, and another £20 for a very simple case to convert the old board into something usable (WiFi to USB/Audio). Not sure I'd buy one today, or if I'd want to keep the old case/screen in 2-3 years time, but it seems like a good thing to investigate.

I also think people need to understand (if they haven't got one yet) that the current model does do pretty much everything they need in this form-factor.

now that the trolls are hopefully settled some
If you can point out the trolling, I'll go and put some reports in. Although I must say that I must have missed it, as aside from a handful of daft replies, I can't find any such posts in this thread - were they deleted already?

If they were already removed, please disregard.
it was the other more almost purposefully retarded posts in reply to the OP. I consider that to be a form of trolling, same level as purposely derailing. I saw others taking the topic a little more seriously or at least humoring the idea that's why I jumped in with some suggestions.

^ I saw your original reply. ;) Thanks. I must admit that I had for a moment been concerned that my entirely serious comments had somehow been misconstrued as some form of troublemaking, which they weren't. :lol:

I love mine just the way it is, but a board upgrade at some point in the future is a great idea. Oh, go on then; I'll take a backlit keyboard too :p

A board only upgrade would be a very nice way of recycling a Pandora, but what would you be willing to pay for a new (faster) board? Remember the board is pretty much almost all the cost of the Pandora (the screen is the only other significant part price wise).

OMAP4 1Ghz (OMAP4430) or 1.5Ghz (OMAP4440)? I'd pay whatever it cost, especially if it came with an ????x768 resistive lcd screen.

Other nice enhancements would be a backlit keyboard and more internal memory. Other than that, I wouldn't change a thing. Out of interest, are you able to take special orders on improved (faster) boards for a premium once pre-order delieveries have been completed?

That might still be possible without a case redesign. The board redesign will be required which is expensive, but possible. For an OMAP 4 board replacement I would gladly pay full price again (depending on impact on battery life and such).

I was indeed referring to the current pandora in reply to CraigX' question about what someone would be willing to pay for a faster board. I'm assuming it was meant in the existing case.

Assuming this is possible, I would pay whatever the omap4 board costs, plus markup, admin costs etc. If it came with a ????x768 screen and ideally some more ~1-2GB memory I could see me parting with £1k. Whether this is technically possible may be another matter though.

I'll be very happy if it is. One the open pandora home page it states.....

800x480 4.3" 16.7 million colours touchscreen LCD

About once a month one of us will create one of these threads. Then a few people stomp and scream about fracturing the user base and how perfect the existing one is. A few people make suggestions then it flows off into the nether reaches of the board's archive.

Me? I'd like to see a larger screen, thinner form factor Pandora.

Treat this as you would any other 'dream Pandora post'.

7" Pixel Qi screen with thin bezel (no speakers in bezel). Device X, Y dimensions dictated by whatever the minimum surround can be used on this screen.

Battery split into two units each capable of running the system - hot swap-able so long as either is in place.

USB 3 host

OTG changed to cell phone standard mini-USB

Dual core CPU

Double or quadruple the RAM

Remove the NAND and use a third SDHC card for booting/etc...

GPS

Axis/tilt/accelerometer

External wifi antenna port (so we can use high gains easier)

Backlit keyboard would be sweet

Four triggers using more traditional button-style buttons - mounted slightly recessed/flush.

IR transceiver (for use as a remote control)

Vibrate for (silent) alarms

If 7" display, split keyboard and controls to the edges and fill the gap in the middle with a multi-touch trackpad.

Since it grew in X and Y dimensions, the device should be slimmer while maintaining similar internal volume.

Speakers on the front of the base instead of by the screen.

I say £200 is my magic number for a new board. When I imagined the concept it brought back memories of ordering a 512k memory board for our Amiga from a magazine, so that we could play dungeon master.

I say £200 is my magic number for a new board. When I imagined the concept it brought back memories of ordering a 512k memory board for our Amiga from a magazine, so that we could play dungeon master.
ahh yes the amiga 1 meg upgrade seemed so powerful then and it really made the games better too.

Maybe £100, and another £20 for a very simple case to convert the old board into something usable (WiFi to USB/Audio). Not sure I'd buy one today, or if I'd want to keep the old case/screen in 2-3 years time, but it seems like a good thing to investigate.

See there's the problem, the board currently costs way more than £100, a faster board would be pushing to £200 just for the board.

About once a month one of us will create one of these threads. Then a few people stomp and scream about fracturing the user base and how perfect the existing one is. A few people make suggestions then it flows off into the nether reaches of the board's archive.

Me? I'd like to see a larger screen, thinner form factor Pandora.

Treat this as you would any other 'dream Pandora post'.

7" Pixel Qi screen with thin bezel (no speakers in bezel). Device X, Y dimensions dictated by whatever the minimum surround can be used on this screen.

Battery split into two units each capable of running the system - hot swap-able so long as either is in place.

USB 3 host

OTG changed to cell phone standard mini-USB

Dual core CPU

Double or quadruple the RAM

Remove the NAND and use a third SDHC card for booting/etc...

GPS

Axis/tilt/accelerometer

External wifi antenna port (so we can use high gains easier)

Backlit keyboard would be sweet

Four triggers using more traditional button-style buttons - mounted slightly recessed/flush.

IR transceiver (for use as a remote control)

Vibrate for (silent) alarms

If 7" display, split keyboard and controls to the edges and fill the gap in the middle with a multi-touch trackpad.

Since it grew in X and Y dimensions, the device should be slimmer while maintaining similar internal volume.

Speakers on the front of the base instead of by the screen.
I think it is just posts like yours that brings people to say that the current Pandora is a much better form factor, you must construe this as 'Then a few people stomp and scream about fracturing the user base and how perfect the existing one is' but you just described an awkward tablet or a netbook with gaming controls, confused as to which your describing. I'm just curious what a rendering of the monstrosity in your head would look like.

Back