List Of Pandora Ports/connectors

Exarus said:
Now I'm assuming that The OTG is Client, Is my assumption correct? And with the Ext. Connector you could connect TV, Audio, and More USB?

OTG means that the device can function both as a client device as well as have client devices connected to it(On The Go).

The AV connector pictured alongside it is likely video only, but for different video types(craig had listed them off earlier).

Last edited by a moderator:
realyst said:
Exarus said:
Now I'm assuming that The OTG is Client, Is my assumption correct? And with the Ext. Connector you could connect TV, Audio, and More USB?

OTG means that the device can function both as a client device as well as have client devices connected to it(On The Go).

The AV connector pictured alongside it is likely video only, but for different video types(craig had listed them off earlier).

Thanks for the clear up

All mini usb have 5 pins. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB#Types_of_USB_connector

I have never had a device with an OTG port, but all of my standard Mini-USB devices (card reader, Creative Zen, generic cords, GP2X) have 5 pins.

I am confused about the wording of "OTG adds a 5th pin", when the pin is on all mini USB cords. Perhaps a more apt sentence would be "OTG makes use of the 5th pin".

But it is Wikipedia after all, (and yes I am aware of the irony of using wikipedia to disprove/contest wikipedia).

Just for completeness, here is what a USB mini connector should look like: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/NikonD70/page4.asp (see connectors, 5 pin)

http://www.dealextreme.com/photogallery.dx/sku.2708~seQ.3 (note this simple card reader is most assuredly NOT an OTG device, yet has 5 pins)

well, enough nits picked for now.

nubie said:
I am confused about the wording of "OTG adds a 5th pin", when the pin is on all mini USB cords. Perhaps a more apt sentence would be "OTG makes use of the 5th pin".
I have several devices that use the 5th pin of a mini-usb. Eg. My phone uses it - if it's not connected, it assumes the other device is a PC and does not charge unless the PC says otherwise (which is handled by the driver software). In the charger, the 5th pin is grounded, and the phone charges immediately on connection.

Squidge said:
I have several devices that use the 5th pin of a mini-usb. Eg. My phone uses it - if it's not connected, it assumes the other device is a PC and does not charge unless the PC says otherwise (which is handled by the driver software). In the charger, the 5th pin is grounded, and the phone charges immediately on connection.
interesting. i'd never really looked into the reason, but i've wondered about this. i have a phone that does this as well, and it infuriates me that i can't charge it with a commonly available USB cable unless i have drivers, which are for XP of course. :angry: not that i'd be using the Pandora much for this purpose, but i'm wondering if an OTG cable between my phone and the Pandora would allow it to charge my phone, even without the XP drivers?

mechanizeddeath said:
interesting. i'd never really looked into the reason, but i've wondered about this. i have a phone that does this as well, and it infuriates me that i can't charge it with a commonly available USB cable unless i have drivers, which are for XP of course. :angry: not that i'd be using the Pandora much for this purpose, but i'm wondering if an OTG cable between my phone and the Pandora would allow it to charge my phone, even without the XP drivers?
You'll most likely find it'll charge from anything that'll give out the USB 5V if you ground that 5th pin. How else would the charger work? They are not going to put a full USB controller in the charger, it would be too expensive.

Squidge said:
mechanizeddeath said:
You'll most likely find it'll charge from anything that'll give out the USB 5V if you ground that 5th pin. How else would the charger work? They are not going to put a full USB controller in the charger, it would be too expensive.

I love this forum. It's been bugging me for ages, as to why my phone needs drivers in XP to charge
and yet a charger cannot be that smart. Googling just sidetracks me for hours.
Now wonder if I can ground the 5th...

Squidge said:
good to know. thanks for info - and the hours of SNES enjoyment btw. :lol: i'll hack up a cable or two and finally be able to charge from my Debian laptop... and soon the Pandora! :pandora1:

edit: and yes, this forum is great!

Oh no, look what I have done! :)

Yes, that is what I meant, the OTG specs simply used that 5th pin for their own purposes, not that the 5th pin is a sign of OTG compatibility or support.

@Squidge, I really meant that I don't know why somebody hasn't corrected that Wiki page, seeing as how people get the wrong idea so easily.

Personally I just punch "" pinout into google image search when I want to know about that sort of thing.

Just to be sure - the OTG USB connector is a mini-A version, right?

See that wikipedia picture for reference:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm...pes-usb_new.svg

usb-ports.png

Oh, also please let me know if I should update the opening post with something (missed in the long discussion ;) )

cosurgi said:
Just to be sure - the OTG USB connector is a mini-A version, right?

See that wikipedia picture for reference:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm...pes-usb_new.svg

usb-ports.png

Oh, also please let me know if I should update the opening post with something (missed in the long discussion ;) )

Did you seriously just gravedig your own topic?

-God Ginrai

Back