Extra Features That People Wish The Most

Balzac2m said:
A 0.5A, 1.1 AND 2.0 capable USB-jack. I still think that's the worst thing about the actual design.
I'm surprised no one mentioned this earlier, I would really like to see this too. In some ways it reminds me of when the Wiz was planning on shipping with a 2.5mm headphone jack, it had the ability to use standard headphones, but only with an adapter, just like this has the ability to use low speed USB devices, but only with an adapter. So this is on the top of my list because it just makes sense.

Second might be the web cam of my dreams. I would have it positioned on the right hinge, with a little swivel allowing it to face you or in front of you. If it's facing forwards you can use your right finger and a motion capturing program to generate mouse movements, which would allow you to still use the right thumb for gaming while using a mouse. But, seeing as no one (in the world) has done this, and therefore I couldn't know how taxing it would be on the CPU and battery, I wouldn't actually ask any group without much R&D funds to do it.

Next would be an IR transmitter for changing input selections and volume on your TV, since this thing has TV-out, I think this feature would ride along nicely and make a lot of people go "ooh, that's clever".

And lastly, a higher resolution video out, this isn't very creative, but I've been toying with the idea of using the Pandora instead of my computer for day to day tasks for power saving reasons, a higher resolution picture would make this more convenient. Also, I wonder how games which are locked in at 800x480 would work in TV-out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Svartalf said:
nikkopt said:
Accelometer
Heh... I'm going to be in talks with a friend of mine to see if we can't get a bluetooth based micro-device built for a reasonable price point on that one.

an internal one :p

and i forgot, a webcam would be nice.. a 0.6mp cheap cmos it's fine for web conferencing :p

mali said:
Take the PCB, screen and battery, throw away the keyboard and gaming controls design a new case for tablet mode with some more shoulder/side buttons, a dpad on the front put it for sale for some € less, and I'll buy it any day. Why make an expensive convertible, that will break easily, when you can have two for the same money.
mmm

are you crazy, i think this is why alot of people how buying it, because of the controls,

if you only want shoulder buttons and a d-pad, how are you going to get any real gaming, the pandora is at first a game console, and then whatever you want

you migh aswell buy yourself a mp4 player :D

Take the PCB, screen and battery, throw away the keyboard and gaming controls design a new case for tablet mode with some more shoulder/side buttons, a dpad on the front put it for sale for some € less, and I'll buy it any day. Why make an expensive convertible, that will break easily, when you can have two for the same money.

kinda of like the optimus maximus OLED keys

- 5" screen
Why? To much room on the left / right taken in by the speakers. Time then to use some of those mini speakers the PSP has. Or no speakers at all. Who needs speakers. :wacko: Thats just like a cell phone, annoying like hell in public :)

- HDMI out ( VGA / DVI connectors are overkill in size, and lets face it, its easy to buy a HDMI->DVI cable, and most monitors these days have HDMI or DVI input, let alone in a year or 2 ).

- Webcam. Nothing fancy, a 2MP. By then it will be the entry level webcams anyway.

We are talking 2 years from now?

Throw out the keyboard, add a tactical feedback touch screen ( seen them on a tech side a while ago ). Adds a lot of options, like dual screen desktop experience. Or dual gaming ( one person on side a, and one person on side b ) with the 2 touch screens.

emcp said:
mali said:
mmm

are you crazy, i think this is why alot of people how buying it, because of the controls,

if you only want shoulder buttons and a d-pad, how are you going to get any real gaming, the pandora is at first a game console, and then whatever you want

kinda of like the optimus maximus OLED keys

hehe sigh the sole point im buying a Pandora is the keyboard and controls, and is it just me or did Mali just describe the WIZ :> ...

emcp said:
mmm

I know, but it's my solution to the tablet mod.
You would be surprised how many people "out there" would buy that device. Not everyone has gaming in mind and an onscreen keyboard does the trick most of the time ;)

hehe sigh the sole point im buying a Pandora is the keyboard and controls, and is it just me or did Mali just describe the WIZ :> ...

It's more like the N900 :p

Edit:
Ultra slim Pandora tablet + Bluetooth/USB gamepad = big fun B)

mali said:
emcp said:
mmm

I know, but it's my solution to the tablet mod.
You would be surprised how many people "out there" would buy that device. Not everyone has gaming in mind and an onscreen keyboard does the trick most of the time ;)

What's the point? That's not an extra features. Thats not even a pandora. there are UMPC's out there already, which are exactly like the pandora would be if turned into that

PoisonedV said:
What's the point? That's not an extra features. Thats not even a pandora. there are UMPC's out there already, which are exactly like the pandora would be if turned into that
Does it need to have a point?
This whole thread is pointless, I'm just adapting ;)

fiveseven said:
Tablet mode, although I'm not sure it's worth the legal minefield that comes with it (with patents and such).
It's been frequently stated that this is legally impossible. I don't understand that; clearly a lot of manufacturers make tablet devices, so it must be possible to locate the relevant patents and pay them.

That said, another possibility presents itself: what about if the keyboard connected via a pluggable connector, and there were connectors at the top and bottom of the keyboard/screen? The screen would only work when connected (because the battery is still under the keyboard), but you can connect it either of two different ways, one of them being from behind the screen.

This might even be a practical mod. (?)

The swivel-hinge design is patented and the slide out keyboard version, too. A tablet per se(without being convertible) isn't patented. Patented doesn't mean anything else than, that it just costs some extra cash to license and use that design(swivel or slide out).

The pluggable version has been discussed, too. I'm too lazy to search for links now.
My personal conclusion after bringing every available info in context was, that the only sensible option(both cheap and feasible without too much redesign of hardware) is the total conversion like I stated above.

Now just take this tablet-only model and plug in a USB gamepad or use a bluetooth version and there you go. Perfect browsing/video experience whithout gamepad attached and the best possible gaming experience with your gamepad of choice. For a price of about 250€ plus gamepad(which you might have lying around already).

mali is on to something..
Unlike what's been said, there's _no_ such device out there already. It's not an UPMC, they are bigger (too big), and mostly x86 powered. Instead, it's in the Nokia Internet Tablet niche, which wouldn't have existed unless there was room for it. So, a Nokia N900 type of device, but much more interesting than the actual mythical N900..

craigix said:
Kloplop321 said:
yes, a tablet mod would be all cool, but without a do-it-yourself kit, those licensing fees would come on us..
If you could do this have you considered how on earth the LCD cable would move in such a set up without snapping?

I am not planning on doing it myself, and I know that after time the cable can have problems because of movement. I guess the cord is quite short eh?

Kloplop321 said:
I am not planning on doing it myself, and I know that after time the cable can have problems because of movement. I guess the cord is quite short eh?
The wire-count is huge, that's the main problem. Without redesigning the hardware to reduce the number of necessary connections this mod won't work.

Much to read, but it's all there. There are more threads like that with redundant info.
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=44693&hl=
Edit:
You've posted in that thread too, so you know this already ;)

Grench said:
A lanyard hole.

I don't know how many times my Tapwave Zodiac got knocked out of my hands to be saved by the lanyard around my left wrist. If I can find a place to safely drill a 1/16" hole diagonally through the plastic on the Pandora, it will likely be the first device mod I do.
Good point. Very good, in fact.

I see a lot of cameras, both digital and film, in my line of work, and nearly every physically damaged camera has one thing in common: they never had the lanyard or neck strap attached. When a customer brings in their smashed camera along with the original packaging, and you see the lanyard still packed in the tiny bag at the bottom of the box, it's hard not to roll your eyes.

I wonder:

Swivel is not possible, but what about hinge extension? At least, as far as mods and mod kits are concerned. Like, if you open the Pandora a full 180 degrees, you could possibly slide the top half out, and fold it over the back of the unit, with some sort of mechanism to keep it in place. That would leave you with the full array of controls on what is now the bottom of the unit, and a screen on the top.

You would probably have an exposed ribbon cable, and you might actually need a longer ribbon cable for this to work, but as far as DIY tablet mods are concerned, this is probably the most feasible way of doing it, as there are no viciously guarded patents (that I know of, at least!) involved, and it theoretically only requires a new case mold and maybe a slightly longer ribbon cable as an official mod kit, and probably a whole lot of patience as an unsupported diy effort.

Just got my hands on a c****y 3M handheld projector and that made me think that a built in projector and one of those infrared/laser keyboards would be nice :D

cosurgi said:
dagger said:
- VGA out
it works.

No, it doesn't for realtime graphics which is the key factor for buying the pandora in my case.

cb88: true, I also have an USB -> Ethernet adaptor for that, but it would still be a good to have to save some small trouble with keeping both devices which you. An extension port for these kind of things would have made sense.

mechanizeddeath said:
Grench said:
A lanyard hole.

I don't know how many times my Tapwave Zodiac got knocked out of my hands to be saved by the lanyard around my left wrist. If I can find a place to safely drill a 1/16" hole diagonally through the plastic on the Pandora, it will likely be the first device mod I do.

Good point. Very good, in fact.
I see a lot of cameras, both digital and film, in my line of work, and nearly every physically damaged camera has one thing in common: they never had the lanyard or neck strap attached. When a customer brings in their smashed camera along with the original packaging,

I agree that a hole for a lanyard would be a good feature. I'd use one of the Wii wrist straps, for when I'm using the thing 'on the run'.

The wrist strap on my DS has saved it more than once.

and you see the lanyard still packed in the tiny bag at the bottom of the box, it's hard not to roll your eyes.

Ok, but you'd better not laugh if I ever show you my vacation pictures and half of them have the lanyard dangling over the lens! :)

Back