List Of Pandora Ports/connectors

cb88 said:
oh look what is that!? its a gigabit usb ethernet adaptor compatible with Linux!
If the drivers are included in the default kernel, and even then, it's a lot more expensive than a simple usb cable.

Last edited by a moderator:
Squidge said:
realmraellis said:
The Pandora is unbrickable? How and since when? :eek:
Since the beginning. The Pandora can boot from an SD card even when the NAND is completely empty, faulty, or missing. So bad firmware updates turning your device into a brick are a thing of the past.

So if I, for instance, somehow accidentally replaced my NAND chip's die with a large blob of solder, the Pandora would still work? Awesome!

Squidge said:
cosurgi said:
I'd prefer a cable connection :)
Hessiess said:
would it be posable to add an Ethernet port using USB? I live in a house with 3 foot thick solid stone walls so wireless is useless.
Yes, you can just connect a standard USB cable from the Pandora to your PC, if you prefer cables.

You should be able to add an Ethernet port using USB also, but if you do that, it'll be more expensive, and you'll be limited to 10/100MB, whereas USB is 480MB.

cosurgi said:
I have a superstition that cables give higher transfer rate.
They usually do, Bluetooth and Wifi are both poor compared to the 480MB of USB.
Let's not forget though that actual Ethernet throughput is far less than the specification. In this case, direct USB would definitely be a higher transfer rate. Given that most transfer to your SD cards are the main concern, unpluging them from the Pandora and transferring directly to the card via USB from your main computer is best.

For online usage, wifi is really your best option.

atomicthumbs said:
So if I, for instance, somehow accidentally replaced my NAND chip's die with a large blob of solder, the Pandora would still work?
Yes, but in that case, you would need an SD card to store stuff onto :)

(However, if that large blob of solder shorted VSS and VCC together, then you can probably wave goodbye to your Pandora).

So it has a bunch of GPIO lines. How many of those are (or can be set to) analog input?

atomicthumbs said:
Squidge said:
realmraellis said:
The Pandora is unbrickable? How and since when? :eek:
Since the beginning. The Pandora can boot from an SD card even when the NAND is completely empty, faulty, or missing. So bad firmware updates turning your device into a brick are a thing of the past.

So if I, for instance, somehow accidentally replaced my NAND chip's die with a large blob of solder, the Pandora would still work? Awesome!

Keep that soldering iron away from the Pandora!

WizardStan said:
So it has a bunch of GPIO lines. How many of those are (or can be set to) analog input?
All IO lines to a CPU are digital. That's all a microprocessor can understand.

However, if there are enough GPIOs, you can get an ADC chip and make an analog input out of them. Four GPIOs would give you 4-bit accuracy, which is probably enough for an analog throttle control. You'd probably want at least 6 for a steering wheel / spinner.

Chip said:
Not exactly, all the IO lines to the OMAP are digital. There are CPU's that have a varying number of analog input pins. I use them at work :)

(They have a register based ADC w/ MUX implemented on the same die inside the IC)

Also, 3 GPIOs are enough for 10-bit accuracy, as the ADC can be serially driven (eg. http://focus.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/tlc1518.pdf ). The more spare IO's you have however, the better, typically, as there are usually other pins you would be interested in, such as the "conversion complete" interrupt.

Squidge said:
Chip said:
Not exactly, all the IO lines to the OMAP are digital. There are CPU's that have a varying number of analog input pins. I use them at work :)

Ack, you're right. The OMAP has two analog output lines, but none in. I've actually never worked with an embedded CPU that didn't have analog I/O. It didn't occur to me that there wouldn't be even one on something as sophisticated as the OMAP.

So, just to make sure I'm understanding it right. RS-232 will not be available without modding the system?

-God Ginrai

God Ginrai said:
So, just to make sure I'm understanding it right. RS-232 will not be available without modding the system?
A version should be available on the EXT connector, so thats all you should need. I say a version because I don't know if Michael is level shifting the output from the OMAP. If not, then it'll be a configurable UART, most likely running at 0/3V (A PC Serial port, on the other hand, is usually +/- ~10V).

You should also be able to disable the UART, and that will give you an extra two GPIO's (But I don't know if you would be able to disable the level shifter, if present).

Squidge said:
God Ginrai said:
A version should be available on the EXT connector, so thats all you should need. I say a version because I don't know if Michael is level shifting the output from the OMAP. If not, then it'll be a configurable UART, most likely running at 0/3V (A PC Serial port, on the other hand, is usually +/- ~10V).

You should also be able to disable the UART, and that will give you an extra two GPIO's (But I don't know if you would be able to disable the level shifter, if present).

The EXT connector being that same AV port?

-God Ginrai

Most likely, might as well have everything on the same connector rather than spread out, as the later uses up valuable board space and costs more to manufacture.

Squidge said:
Most likely, might as well have everything on the same connector rather than spread out, as the later uses up valuable board space and costs more to manufacture.
Fine with me. I was just curious.

-God Ginrai

Anybody able to supply a pic of a connector of his type, or details how you connect to it? I can't visualise what it is or how you get AV / RS232 etc out of one connector. Any guidance gratefully received.

It's really the same one as in GP2x? And what about pinout, is the same too (I guess not exactly)?
edit: Momentary laps of reason, never mind.

Squidge said:
Wiki to the rescue!

http://wiki.gp2x.org/wiki/EXT

and here's one in real life:

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i145/cra...2x/DSC00370.jpg
http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i145/cra...2x/DSC00371.jpg
http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i145/cra...2x/DSC00372.jpg
http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i145/cra...2x/DSC00374.jpg

But isn't the Pandora EXT port supposed to look more like a USB port? o_ô

Offtopic: Anyone know of any applications that run in the background on Linux that make it so you can type with Alt+Codes? I am really missing being able to type so much on Linux, because I can't do my beloved alt codes. T_T

-God Ginrai

Back