Pandora 2 wish list - Ultimate Pandora

vcoleiro1

Hardcore Member
Hi,

Looking into the future I was thinking about what features the next Pandora may have and decided id post my wish list for others to discuss and expand on:

My wish list for the ultimate Pandora would be (in no particular order):

1) Multitouch Capacitive touch screen - Higher resolution and perhaps 3d viewing capable such as per the 3DS

2) 3G with full phone functionality

3) 3 axis Accelerometer

4) Magnetometer for digital compass etc

5) GPS

6) Ability to run Android (probably can now?)

7) Faster Cpu at least 1ghz, probaby need to be a lot more considering todays products seem to have 1ghz cpu, future products would be expected to be a lot faster

8) Front and back facing cameras(5mp at least) with a LED flash - perhaps dual cameras front and back for 3d photos and video recording

9) Better speakers

10) Dual/Stereo mic

11) USB3 ports

12) 3 axis gyroscope

13) Proximity sensor

What would you like to see in it?

Hold up on replies, I need a beer and a bag of popcorn.

You seem to be describing a next generation smart phone. Which is cool of that's what you want, but I don't think OPT needs to make it, since numerous smart phone manufactures, undoubtedly will.

Last edited by a moderator:
realjdpgs4.png

> 1) Multitouch Capacitive touch screen - Higher resolution and perhaps 3d viewing capable such as per the 3DS

What would you need multitouth for? I'd imagine it is pretty awkward to use more than one finger while holding the pandora. 3D? Let's see how horrible nintendo's attempt is first.

> 2) 3G with full phone functionality

Get a USB-dongle! The pandora is a UMPC/handheld game console, not a phone.

> 3) 3 axis Accelerometer

Now... What would the possible use for that be? Controlling games by tilting the pandora like a retard? Exploring physics by dropping the pandora annd discovering that gravity has a constant acceleration?

> 4) Magnetometer for digital compass etc

I can't think of a single real life use for that.

> 6) Ability to run Android (probably can now?)

Can be done, if a dev with the skill to do it thinks it's worth the effort, it will happen. Android has runned before.

> 7) Faster Cpu at least 1ghz, probaby need to be a lot more considering todays products seem to have 1ghz cpu, future products would be expected to be a lot faster

Clock frequency isn't everything, and talking about it years before a pandora 2 would be made is just silly :p

> 9) Better speakers

What's wrong with the ones in the current pandora?

> 11) USB3 ports

*facepalm*

> 12) 3 axis gyroscope

I don't think enough people is going to use their pandoras to control aircrafts/satellites to motivate building that into the device.

> 13) Proximity sensor

Now, what would the use of a proximity sensor be?

Theres been quite a few threads like this before.I think we will just have to stick with pandora 1 for now.Though Craigix has mentioned the idea of a pandora cube device before thats the only possible variation on a pandora i ve heard about.

I hate people that think the pandora is a perfect peice of hardware with no need/use for an upgrade. Anything that could improve the functionality is laughed off the table. I just want you to know I really hate your type... just saying.

Facepalm is not a arguement... at least not an intellegible one anyway

The topic has been talked into the ground but if there any original ideas on what new should be in it id personally like to hear it. I think as inexpensive as phone hardware is getting the next gen pandora should have everything a smartphone has at a minimum.

If you want to use any of that extra stuff from an individual user standpoint is unimportant as long as the option is there for those out there that do.

If you want to use any of that extra stuff from an individual user standpoint is unimportant as long as the option is there for those out there that do.
But you forget that this takes away capabilities from those who don't want it. ;) It's not unimportant at all. Some of us don't want unused stuff sucking battery life and adding weight!

EDIT: And I forgot the increased cost. Do pardon me, please.

Improvements in software, that's one thing. Improvements in hardware? Of course there's always room, but does it mean it can be made easily? Ask the staff why the Pandora is the way it is; any better specs would've increased size, cost, or both. Therefore, because upgrading to better specs would probably require a redesign for the worse (and did I mention purchase of it, too?), people view *hardware* updates for Pandora as worthless. And you know what? I agree,

But you forget that this takes away capabilities from those who don't want it. ;) It's not unimportant at all. Some of us don't want unused stuff sucking battery life and adding weight!

EDIT: And I forgot the increased cost. Do pardon me, please.
The added weight of a couple sensors I'm sure won't be noticed, the 3G radio might be noticeable but it can't be more than a couple grams, battery power to a piece of hardware that can be turned off I'm sure is nowhere comparable to the juice being sucked down by over clocking a 600mhz proccessor to 1ghz or using a more power efficient super amoled screen compared to TFT lcd. Or heaven forbid using a USB powered attachment.

The price is a concern if you aren't going to use hardware, I have no actual price to quote on anything but I'm guessing, however blindly, that it can't be that much. I can't argue what the added price would be but I personally would be comfortable paying 100-200 extra to the original price tag to have all the stuff that modern smart phones have, ymmv

gotta say I agree with the Protoman on this one. Most of the crap he listed is just going to make it into a smartphone. I have a smartphone already. I want a pocket computer that's worth a damn. leave off things that don't align with that goal.

The added weight of a couple sensors I'm sure won't be noticed, the 3G radio might be noticeable but it can't be more than a couple grams, battery power to a piece of hardware that can be turned off I'm sure is nowhere comparable to the juice being sucked down by over clocking a 600mhz proccessor to 1ghz or using a more power efficient super amoled screen compared to TFT lcd. Or heaven forbid using a USB powered attachment.

The price is a concern if you aren't going to use hardware, I have no actual price to quote on anything but I'm guessing, however blindly, that it can't be that much. I can't argue what the added price would be but I personally would be comfortable paying 100-200 extra to the original price tag to have all the stuff that modern smart phones have, ymmv

Completely altering the hardware incurs a lot of R&D and retooling as well. Those are not negligible costs for a project with so few consumers interested in purchasing it. Don't forget that part.

Didnt realize that I would start such an argument about changing the Pandora when I posted this. My aim was just to put out there some pie in the sky ideas of what features a next generation Pandora might be in the future some time.

I thought I should clarify why I listed a few of my suggested features because a few of you have mentioned that these make into a smart phone, however, I had listed these features as neccessary things for current and future gaming requirements. And I must say that the features of a smartphone cross heavily over onto gaming platforms these days, the line is very blurry even more so when the sony phone/psp comes out. Anyway here was my thinking

1) Multitouch Capacitive touch screen - Higher resolution and perhaps 3d viewing capable such as per the 3DS

Why wouldnt you go for a better touch screen technology that will probably be as cheap as resistive touch screens given they are and will be produced in greater numbers than there resistive counterpart.

2) 3G with full phone functionality . I had listed this to enable mobile gaming and if your going to add it might as well be able to make calls also

3) 3 axis Accelerometer. Needed for motion sensitive games such as those for Android, and if the Pandora is going to be able to play future deleveloped games for Android it will need this

4) Magnetometer for digital compass etc. This is needed to assist the GPS, ever wondered why a GPS sat nav cant tell you directions properly until you start moving, it doent know what direction your facing.

5) GPS. Needed for GPS enabled games and yes I added also for Sat nav capabilities

6) Ability to run Android (probably can now?). To Run Android games , but this is a software thing really

7) Faster Cpu . Goes without saying

8) Front and back facing cameras(5mp at least) with a LED flash - perhaps dual cameras front and back for 3d photos and video recording. Needed for Augmented reality games. Dual cameras for 3d is out there, but hey it would be good if it were cheap to add

9) Better speakers. Always nice to have

10) Dual/Stereo mic. Probably not high on the required list, but if your into sound recording

11) USB3 ports Would be nice to have one of these faster ports, latest motherboards have them.

12) 3 axis gyroscope. Again needed to play motion sensitive games such as those for Android, and if the Pandora is going to be able to play future deleveloped games for Android it will need this

13) Proximity sensor. Would be nice to have , but another not high on my list, I did list it for gaming purposes

Anyway I hope that the above comments and explain my thinking on some of the features I proposed.

I do find it interesting that some features are seen as Smartphone things, when in my mind they are gaming features that have been added to a Smartphone. Its also interesting how blurry the line is getting with these devices and handheld gaming/computers. Also its worth noting that as the smartphone market (hopefully Android will win out) is one of the biggest growing games platforms, then Pandora will need to evolve to play smartphone games.

Also, can I just say that its interesting how the Pandora came about , ie that its current features like keyboard etc were not just added to the GP32/GP2X, remember why they were not added?. Opposition to change!

UHHH IM LATE TO THIS PARTY!!!! i love these threads. first of all, out of tradition....

(insert random facepalm picture here)

ok now that thats out of the way, youd be better off asking a smart phone manufacturer to simply add nubs to their phones, good luck btw, as im sure youd get the same response youre getting here with 20 requests.

Id like to see 1ghz processor and more ram OH and i want a automatic response generator! so heres how one would use this your uhh sitting and playing a game on the pandora 2 and then some one asks hey YOU (insert sport question here) WHAT DO YOU DO? since you have no knowledge of sports you close game open response generator and BOOM (insert answer) hot chick walks over? open response generator (insert quick witty commit here)BOOM, teacher asks you question open pandora...ok you will probably get in trouble for that...yah...dont do that but anyway...i know this is more of software thing but the hardware needs to be able to see into minds and souls of people to generate original responses.(since were asking for rabid dog holders)

gotta say I agree with the Protoman on this one. Most of the crap he listed is just going to make it into a smartphone. I have a smartphone already. I want a pocket computer that's worth a damn. leave off things that don't align with that goal.

<snip>

Completely altering the hardware incurs a lot of R&D and retooling as well. Those are not negligible costs for a project with so few consumers interested in purchasing it. Don't forget that part.
Speaking of these telephone-related features, wouldn't the cost of said R&D and suchlike end up being incurred multiple times, since they'd have to make at least two or three different variations of the system due to differing mobile telephone standards in the US and other countries? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I can only imagine such a thing pushing the price up very high for everyone...

yes but even after all those requests, he didnt even ask for a 2nd screen, so how will we ever emulate the nds or 3ds, the 3d screen he requested would be pointless w/o a 2nd touch screen!

Back