Extra Features That People Wish The Most

dagger

Still Fresh
I want to ask you what are the extra features that you would like to see in Pandora 2 ? (or any other future versions)

For me, the most important are:
- VGA out
- Ethernet port

Does Pandora have a speaker included? if not, that will be 3rd in my wish list.

Why ethernet? Pandora already has Wifi, and also supports Ethernet over USB (Both using a USB connection to a PC, and a USB->Ethernet adaptor). For me, an ethernet connector itself bultin is just too bulky and unnecessary.

Also Bluetooth available.

Speakers are Built in (read the specs)

And VGA out ? Nah don't need it it has a TV out directly and also AFAIK the Dev Breakout Boards have VGA out and these Boards are hopefully somewhen available.

So everything that is on your wishlist is allready available or with some modification available on Pandora 1 :)

hdmi or dvi-d would make alot more sense than VGA. And another time: I still don't know why no-one thought about adding a switch to switch between dvi-d and lcd output in the first pandora already.
The beagleboard does alsu use a dvi-d framer (TFP410) which is like $10.

Another thing I would like to see is also some sort of extensionport for docking stations or similar things.

//Edit:
adtbm: bluetooth is not wired either and I don't like wireless technology neither, TV-Out provides a picture which is alot worth, the devboard also only provides composite out (judging from the pictures), everything on his wishlist is NOT available YET..

Pandora has a lot... already. i don't think anyone could wish for more for at least.. 9-12 months.

now we have to be pacient.. wait for the pandora and then enjoy it....

that's the plan.. respect it's autoritah :ph34r:

@JayFoxRox USB->Ethernet is wired .... so yes you do have wired options

when will people learn to read... and make thier sarcams more sarcasticky

Tablet mode, although I'm not sure it's worth the legal minefield that comes with it (with patents and such).

One future possibility would be, replacing the keyboard with another touchscreen (similar to the DSi) but still retaining the gaming controls. This might not work so well in practice I guess, but if done well, it could be useful.

i do agree that besides the tv-out cable, a cable allowing you to easily connect the pandora to a pc monitor would be awesome

Is there some kind of S-Video -> VGA adapter you can use?

I'm struggling to think of any other features I would realistically want for a Pandora... maybe rubber grips or big tits on the back.

Wait, there is one -- the ability to screw a removable stick into the joypad.

JayFoxRox said:
I still don't know why no-one thought about adding a switch to switch between dvi-d and lcd output in the first pandora already.

impedance mismatches? signal reflections? space available on the board?

(+cleaned up thread. It seems some people just post to try and be sarcastic. It doesn't work)

Last edited by a moderator:
But it was funny :p
At least I think it was funny.
Now back on topic. Tablet mode would be cool.

Eventually, L2 & R2 would be nice and so would a Tablet mode Pandora (even if they were limited in numbers and cost significantly more).

Those aside, I will need my Pandora before I can really tell what else I would like.

mmm why have a switch to switch between tv out and screen
two different images can be displayed on each (atleast this is what i was told)

now without all the yapping about legality and space, as its a wishlist not a practical list and i know why some of it wasnt incorporated

1, tablet mode
2, 2 irda at the side of the screen (for wiimote)
3, accelerometers (would be good wit tablet)
4, better touch screen, ie can take 2 touches, not just 1, (finger touch screen not stylus)
5, instead of traditional stylus, the wee thumb stylus (the ones you can buy for ds), to fix the previous problem, and accompanying slots,
6, better boody UI, honestly gxmenu2, look horrid at the moment (but no big deal that can change, im just talking about gfx, but the analogue/mouse, and its not really suited for the large screen)
7, case to be removable, without voiding warranty. ie steel enclosure beneath the plastic cover, with power outlets, (this would be handy for hackers who dont want to void warranty)

there was something i thought of just today, but i forgot it, but i really do think people wouldve liked it

honestly the 3 main things is, tablet mode then touchscreen improvement, then case

yes, a tablet mod would be all cool, but without a do-it-yourself kit, those licensing fees would come on us..

atomicthumbs said:
token ring
:lol:

Regarding wired vs. wireless ethernet... My laptop, like most, has both. And the only time I ever connect it with wires is when I'm transferring a lot of very large files. Like I'm doing right now. I'm restoring from a backup on network storage. I last did this about six months ago, and that was the last time I remember connecting an ethernet cable to the laptop.

Nobody has a real Pandora yet, so this is just my guess here: In the case of the Pandora, if I'm in a hurry it will be faster to just eject the SD card(s) and write to them with a card reader, and if I'm not in a hurry it will be easier to let files trickle onto the card over the wireless.

Honestly, the only thing I miss is VGA out. All the other things that people feel their Pandora is missing can be added (often easily and cheaply) via USB, serial, or the extra solder pads.

But I understand why this is the case, and considering all that the Pandora CAN do, it seems kind of silly to focus on what it can't. ;)

Kloplop321 said:
yes, a tablet mod would be all cool, but without a do-it-yourself kit, those licensing fees would come on us..
If you could do this have you considered how on earth the LCD cable would move in such a set up without snapping?

craigix said:
Kloplop321 said:
If you could do this have you considered how on earth the LCD cable would move in such a set up without snapping?

mmm
damn

i guess we were all hoping, youd try and make it easy for us
so most of us will get tablet via DIY, without you having to pay licensing fees

basically i guess we were hoping you get everything set up, and just some slight modification and wala

anyway, just wondering, is the idea patented or is the hardware patented,

ive always wondered how lcd screens are attached, is the tablet mode some serious hardware work around in which is patented

cause you could have a, remove this pin, flip screen insert pin again (lol)

highly doubt it wouldve been that easy

ALSO

what was up with leaving extra shoulder pads,
would it not have been a better idea to have incorporated that the current shoulder button gets split in half, when the extra one is used they split, however if only 2 shoulder buttons are used the pressing both of the left side ones only activate the one

or could you not have a connection underneath the pandora, with trigger attachments, so you pop them on, and its like a trigger, should of like the PS3 controller, and when you want to pack the pandora away, just remove the extra shoulder buttons, and stick them in your pocket

im hoping to do something similar with a usb device

thanks

craigix said:
I think most of the tablet mod crowd figure that an appropriate LCD cable would be included as part of the kit. Those hinges look like an engineering nightmare to begin with though, and I've personally seen older tablet PCs with severed cables from the strain. I'm not sure how widespread that problem is, however. I've even had older non-tablet laptops where the LCD cable has broken in some fashion, in one case the years of strain broke the solder joints and pulled the connector right off the board. And one of my old laptops required a periodic (2-3 month) reseating of the LCD cable connector on the board side, as it would slowly tug itself out of the connector.

Edit: Added missing words.

Can't really ask for anything more than what it should be capable of already but I'm with the tablet mode and acellometer crowd.

Back