Beta Appstore Testing (Again)

Trevsweb said:
Mithrildor said:
I like a percentage system displayed by stars. Like quarter of a star, half a star 20% of a star

speaking as the graphicteer i say hell no :p
What about using different colours for the stars by clicking the star once for a half point yellow star and clicking it again to turn it into a full point red star.
Example:
A rating of four and a half stars would be 4 red stars and one yellow star.

Should be easy to do graphically :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I can do the percent system but also have the script monitor peoples voting habits, if they are indeed voting <10 or >90 on everything I'll have it tell them and also I can take their voting history in to account when calculating the average.

I should also of course not let people vote if they have not downloaded the app...

craigix said:
The ghost of Julian Rignal must be haunting me.

HAHA!

Ahh so many years spent reading Jazza and Radion Automatic. Good old Mean Machines, the icons of themselves in reviews were awesome

craigix said:
I can do the percent system but also have the script monitor peoples voting habits, if they are indeed voting <10 or >90 on everything I'll have it tell them and also I can take their voting history in to account when calculating the average.

I should also of course not let people vote if they have not downloaded the app...

Why not just stick to a simple 5 star rating system or even a simple thumb up or down system ?
I personally don't believe having more granularity will be useful. For most user it's better KISS. Magazine that tests games and the like sometimes uses a 100% scale system but then they usually have different category that are weighted into it.

So really if you want more detail from the user maybe you should have the possibility of having multiple categories:

Graphic
Sound
Gameplay
Ease of use
(...)

Personally I think a simple scale for quick voting and the abilities to post detailed review would be best. The detailed review would use the multiple categories voting system. Those review should probably meet a minimum number of character and would easy viewable from the download page.
The ability to thumb up or down the review (based on usefulness) would be a plus. Some could even be featured on the front page. For start you might want to keep it simple though.

Also I am not sure about not letting people vote if they didn't download the app... non registered user can also download file right ? It would be stupid to have to download the file again just to vote the app IMO.

marshal said:
Why not just stick to a simple 5 star rating system or even a simple thumb up or down system ?
Or maybe a 10-Star System? More detailed than 5 stars but not to complex like a percent rating. :)

Oh, and what is, when a software starts bugy and gets low ratings. But later, it will be bugfixed and get better and better. Then still the old, bad ratings drop the overall rating, even, when the Software is actualy better. :unsure:

I think "thumbs up" or "thumbs down" is the best way to go. Just like that new rating system on YouTube. You either like something or you don't, it's really simple.

Personally I don't boggle my head over if I'd like to rate something 70% or 75%. Really couldn't care less about it. I just throw all features of a certain application/game/whatever on a big virtual pile in my head and then make up my mind if the pros outweigh the cons. After that it's either thumbs up or thumbs down.

fusion_power said:
marshal said:
Oh, and what is, when a software starts bugy and gets low ratings. But later, it will be bugfixed and get better and better. Then still the old, bad ratings drop the overall rating, even, when the Software is actualy better. :unsure:

I've got that covered already. You will see what happens when software is updated.

I think I'm going to use a percent but also use the thumbs up and down to calculate it.

This will allow niche software to compete in the rankings with hugely popular things like an N64 emu.

Because if there is just a digg style count up, we all know what will be sitting at the top and drowning out the actual original software.

craigix said:
fusion_power said:
marshal said:

I've got that covered already. You will see what happens when software is updated.

I think I'm going to use a percent but also use the thumbs up and down to calculate it.

This will allow niche software to compete in the rankings with hugely popular things like an N64 emu.

Because if there is just a digg style count up, we all know what will be sitting at the top and drowning out the actual original software.

That sounds like a good idea

craigix said:
fusion_power said:
marshal said:

You could look at how Reddit does it. Their code base is open-source and their algorithm determines popularity on more than just upvotes.

Why not do one single voting system (percent, stars, whatever), but offer multiple possibilities to evaluate the data, for example:

-mean score
-median score (dampens influence of extremely positive or negative votes)
-percentage of overall positive ratings (sort of what rotten tomatoes does)
-score multiplied by number of votes (favours popular software)
-score divided by number of votes (favours "hidden gems")
-perhaps even let the user enter any equation with "number of votes", "score", "number of downloads" etc. as parameters

Then the user can sort all entries by whatever category he thinks represents most what he is looking for

Lafazar said:
Why not do one single voting system (percent, stars, whatever), but offer multiple possibilities to evaluate the data, for example:

-mean score
-median score (dampens influence of extremely positive or negative votes)
-percentage of overall positive ratings (sort of what rotten tomatoes does)
-score multiplied by number of votes (favours popular software)
-score divided by number of votes (favours "hidden gems")
-perhaps even let the user enter any equation with "number of votes", "score", "number of downloads" etc. as parameters

Then the user can sort all entries by whatever category he thinks represents most what he is looking for

*thumbs up*

craigix said:
While reading through the thread I was going to mention doing this but you seem to have it covered.

Commenting on things:

If you type less than 6 or quicker than 30 seconds from the last comment, the error is posted in a new page on white, not (as it should probably) within the "frame".

The text-box seems to count single chars and stops at 140. However if you use special Chars like "Ö" and fill the box, the result is a Creepy-Craig-Error, as the script seems to fail somewhere after without proper error-handling. The box counts the Ö as one char, while later on it gets counted as 2 chars (typing 2 Ö gets me an "only 4 chars" error)

jottt said:
Commenting on things:

If you type less than 6 or quicker than 30 seconds from the last comment, the error is posted in a new page on white, not (as it should probably) within the "frame".

The text-box seems to count single chars and stops at 140. However if you use special Chars like "Ö" and fill the box, the result is a Creepy-Craig-Error, as the script seems to fail somewhere after without proper error-handling. The box counts the Ö as one char, while later on it gets counted as 2 chars (typing 2 Ö gets me an "only 4 chars" error)
Wow, no UTF-8 support... really? I thought Craigix used some kind of Linux, so this surprises me... Doesn't Perl also use UTF-8 by default (even for its internal char representation)?

The site is far from "HTML compliant Nazi proof" as soon as you step past the front page.

Public testing is nice, but I'd recommend you give someone you trust that has experience with web security access to the source code, so they can do white-box testing as well.

dflemstr said:
Wow, no UTF-8 support... really? I thought Craigix used some kind of Linux, so this surprises me... Doesn't Perl also use UTF-8 by default (even for its internal char representation)?
Unicode, you mean? I can't quite make sense of your post, but this could happen e.g. if the encoding isn't set properly in the database, or if the string is not passed correctly.

I tried doing some quick tests, and now I'm getting internal server errors when I try to delete my posts. Seems to work after a minute or so?

Gruso said:
People who charge money for games deserve to be told if it's crap. People who make something for their own enjoyment and release it for free, do not.
As someone who likes to make stuff for my own enjoyment and release it for free, I object to your imposition upon me of ignorance of the pain or annoyance that I inflict on others. :) If I want to know if people like what I do, I need to know when they don't.

Mithrildor said:
I dunno why you want that character to reply on something english

Errorhandling is not about what people should do but what people do despite what might make sense ;) I don't plan on using special chars, however the page should handle it either correctly or with a proper error.

hello,

it seems im really late around here.

is it still on tests?

btw is this a usability and bug hunting test, or also security testing?

DroneB Dev said:
hello,

it seems im really late around here.

is it still on tests?

btw is this a usability and bug hunting test, or also security testing?

yea still sorting out all of those bits....
working on adding a new app page view soon. with thumbs rating system :)

Back