Action button labels

Did ED confirm how many face buttons he's going to have? because in the FOSDEM stream, he mentioned looking at 6. I'm sure in practicality it'll end up being 4, but until we know, we don't really know how many buttons we need to cater for

Did ED confirm how many face buttons he's going to have? because in the FOSDEM stream, he mentioned looking at 6. I'm sure in practicality it'll end up being 4, but until we know, we don't really know how many buttons we need to cater for
 He didn't just mention "maybe 6", he said "probably 6" and even lists it as 6 face buttons on the official site. 

I want 7 buttons for PYRA.  They should be labeled like this:

C R

A I

G I X
2 I buttons would get confusing. :p

-God Ginrai

Exophase is right: it is not that important.

That said, I think it's way cooler to do our own thing (e.g. Greek letters) than to copy an existing layout (e.g. SEGA).

Exophase is right: it is not that important.

That said, I think it's way cooler to do our own thing (e.g. Greek letters) than to copy an existing layout (e.g. SEGA).
It ceases to be cool the minute it becomes hard to communicate. I would be advocating colored buttons if it weren't for the fact that we would have to make sure that we don't screw over colorblind people.

-God Ginrai

Let's take that :D

Φ

Δ      ψ

Π     Ω

Χ

Φ

Δ      ψ

Π     Ω

Χ
I can see it now.....

Bob: you need to hit the Psi button.

Dave: which one is the Psi button?

Bob: You know the one with the line through it..

Dave: there are two with lines through it..

Last edited by a moderator:

Bob: what you don't know what Psi is?
Dave: sorry, shame on me, I'm going to learn greek alphabet instead of playing stupid game

OR

Bob: the fork.
Dave: okay, damn greeks letters are so simple and they looks good, I love the Pyra so much.

He didn't just mention "maybe 6", he said "probably 6" and even lists it as 6 face buttons on the official site. 

I want 7 buttons for PYRA.  They should be labeled like this:

C R

A I

G I X
2 I buttons would get confusing. :p

-God Ginrai
Hasn't CRAIGIX been like that?  Confuse people? :p

Φ

Δ      ψ

Π     Ω

Χ
I vote this.  Part of me being okay with dropping the Pandora's button layout is me not agreeing with it in the first place, honest.  But I'd feel more comfortable keeping the Pandora layout I don't like than I would almost keeping it but tweaking it.

This familiar while very new Greek layout I'm quoting is my favorite, it looks new and wonderful.  In text you can just call the buttons square circle cross triangle eye and fork if you don't want to learn the names.

Γ

Δ   Σ

Π   Ω

Χ

There! :p

"Just press lamp post"

"Press strange E to continue"
Bob: "Just press Pi"

Dave: *presses Delta*

Bob: "I said press Pi!"

Dave: "Which one is that? I pressed the one that looked like a slice of pie!"

-God Ginrai

Who are this Bob and Dave? I don't like them ;)

Φ

Δ      ψ

Π     Ω

Χ
I get the point about using vertically symmetric letters (so no Sigma), but Phi is a bit too much like Omega since it is also based on a circle, and a bit too much like Psi since it also has the vertical line. What about Xi instead?

Ξ

Δ      ψ

Π     Ω

Χ

If you don't know their names, you can call them Bridge (or Door, or Square), Triangle (or Pizza Slice), Weird E (or Layered Cake, or Three Lines), Cross, Opened O (or Circle), Trident (or Fork, or Candelabrum). Or whatever.

Eeh I like the eye better, and I couldn't confuse it with any of the others.

Φ

Δ      ψ

Π     Ω

Χ
I get the point about using vertically symmetric letters (so no Sigma), Phi is a bit too much like Omega since it is also based on a circle, and a bit too much like Psi since it also has the vertical line. What about Xi instead?

Ξ

Δ      ψ

Π     Ω

Χ
I thought about the fact it is based on a circle. But it depends on theirs shape. In the exemple I took omega and Phi are clearly different to me. Xi looks weird beside others. With Phi, it looks harmonious.

Another option would be to take Gamma and Sigma, they would be (looks) like 2 extra buttons as most game uses only 4 buttons.

Γ

Δ   Σ

Π   Ω

Χ

Last edited by a moderator:
Back