A few Colors and Packages (with a poll!)

Which packaging would you prefer?

• The smaller one (with the battery below the Pyra)

Votes: 282 94.3%
  • The bigger one (with the battery and the Pyra at the same level)

Votes: 17 5.7%

• Total voters

If recycling paper is bleached, there is no visible difference to non recycled one.
In D/A/CH its hard to get paper without recycled paper in it.

AFAIK, FSC paper is better for the enviroment compared to bleached recycling paper, as the bleaching process is not very environment-friendly.

What a milestone. A pyra in a semi-final case. Guys, it exists. This is progress happening before our eyes.

Speaking about my eyes, that violet Pyra...the Pain! the Horror... arghhh... make it stop...
After i saw the video: the scratch resistence is something i find verry usefull because i usaly put my pandora in a Poket of my workpants, in case i need it or not..
So its now looks like this:
5b6aaae322974caf32f8a1649c3be6c2.jpg
Now that is what we call a battle-hardened Pandora.... matzesu...*sigh*..matzesu.... Pandora is a lady, you should treat her gently.

I never said it has to be fancy, but I think it does need to be designed with display stock in mind, regardless what you might think of the chances of any particular company carrying it. I think the box should also be designed with room for the charger, so that one can be included in the box if the order includes one.

-Neelix
100% agree and yes the pyra needs a proper display box with artwork or photos etc. One cannot predict the future and so its best to be prudent. A supplier may indeed want to display it, in retail or online.

I would definitely notice that box. Put a little ink stamp on it, and its to perfection what the luxury hand-made craftmanship thing is these days.

Row upon row with parkly blisterpack is both unoriginal, and probably for a younger audience.

Would be possible, but we don't plan to include one. Everyone probably has some USB or Micro USB charger at home, so to save the environment a bit more, we decided to only include a MicroUSB Cable.
We will sell USB AC Adapters as well, in case someone needs one.
[doublepost=1465868631,1465868597][/doublepost]

I plan to have the nubs black regardless of the case color :)
If you decide to go without charger, go without USB cable too even if you could use it to transfer data, unless it is a really good one (whatever that looks like). I bet there are more micro USB cables than chargers in most people's homes, and also just shipping the cable doesn't seem eco friendly but cheap, IMO.

On other topics: a darker grey would be just perfect for my taste! Great news post!

Would be possible, but we don't plan to include one. Everyone probably has some USB or Micro USB charger at home, so to save the environment a bit more, we decided to only include a MicroUSB Cable.
We will sell USB AC Adapters as well, in case someone needs one.
[doublepost=1465868631,1465868597][/doublepost]

I plan to have the nubs black regardless of the case color :)
I don't have a single USB charger that is not lethal to use... And none at all that can supply the required > 2 A, those aren't even supplied with phones afaik.

I don't have a single USB charger that is not lethal to use... And none at all that can supply the required > 2 A, those aren't even supplied with phones afaik.

That's why you can easily order one at my shop then - or buy one at your local electronics store.

If you decide to go without charger, go without USB cable too even if you could use it to transfer data, unless it is a really good one (whatever that looks like). I bet there are more micro USB cables than chargers in most people's homes, and also just shipping the cable doesn't seem eco friendly but cheap, IMO.
I wonder how many people have USB3 micro cables though. I know I don't have one, the Pyar would be my first USB3 compatible device.

100% agree and yes the pyra needs a proper display box with artwork or photos etc. One cannot predict the future and so its best to be prudent. A supplier may indeed want to display it, in retail or online.
I don't get peoples obession with things that just collect dust in the end. But if you guys feel so desperate to have one that you feel the need to cling to such a rediciulusly low chance that the Pyra will ever make it on a store shelf, I guess there us no need to drag this any further.

Looking good. I think I would like to see a darker grey though, and I agree that the nubs and buttons should be black. :)

You should probably make that very clear on the shop site then. I think most people purchasing an electronic device would normally expect there to be a charger included. (not only that there would be one in the package but that it would be included in the price of the device)

-Neelix

Agreed. The only devices I've ever seen which don't come with a charger are DIY parts like the Arduino and Raspberry Pi and devices which charge acceptably off a PC like my PRS-505 Sony Reader, which will charge off USB in 4 hours and then be good for a week of solid reading. (The PSP charger port is only for if you need to charge it in 2 hours.)

Also, as an anecdote, I'll definitely need a charger. While we do have many wall warts lying around, we've only got three micro USB chargers and those are unarguably kept plugged in next to the bedsides of the owners of those cellphones, who aren't me. (My mobile devices are a Pandora and the aforementioned PRS-505 Sony Reader, both of which share the same set of 3 or 4 PSP-compatible chargers)

Last edited:
I needed some time to let my eyes rest, after looking at the violet one.... :D

I like how the device is turning out.

I think it would be better if the nubs were black also like the dpad and buttons

While I still think "ThinkPad black" makes the best first impression and I agree with ED that the "gunmetal grey" should be darker, that grey is the first alternative to black I've seen that I wouldn't be self-conscious about pulling out to show people.

(In fact, that colour reminds me of the 90MHz Pentium NEC laptop I have in a box that was once my father's office laptop in between the 486DX4 75MHz ThinkPad 755C I remember fondly but no longer have and the 133MHz Pentium ThinkPad 380ED that I still have.)

Regardless of the case colour, I think the logo plate is too eye-catching like that. The aluminum should be anodized to the same colour as the case so the logo itself and the light which shines through it can truly be the focus of attention, rather than the surround.

As for the cases, I voted for the smaller one because I think it actually has better presentation. "So much in such a tiny package" was one of the selling points of the Pandora and the Pyra even moreso. The big one looks too much like it's going to reveal a netbook when you open it while the smaller one does a better job of driving home how small this powerhouse is.

Last edited:
In addition to black nubs, how about black shoulder buttons on the coloured Pyras, like in the picture at the top of the forum? I think that looks much better than having them the same as the case.

In addition to black nubs, how about black shoulder buttons on the coloured Pyras, like in the picture at the top of the forum? I think that looks much better than having them the same as the case.
Given that the picture at the top of the forum is the concept render, that's probably the plan, but I agree that it should be if it isn't already.

I don't get peoples obession with things that just collect dust in the end. But if you guys feel so desperate to have one that you feel the need to cling to such a rediciulusly low chance that the Pyra will ever make it on a store shelf, I guess there us no need to drag this any further.
ED's business plan requires that he sell at least 3000 Pyras in order to be able to pay off his debts. If I was ED I'd be looking to place the Pyra with as many retailers as would take it. (once production is stable that is) Redesigning the box for retailers later would represent additional costs that can be avoided if the box is designed correctly to begin with.

-Neelix

When it comes to USB chargers I've only got what came with my Xperia X10 mini. Definitely not USB 3. :)

Regardless of the case colour, I think the logo plate is too eye-catching like that. The aluminum should be anodized to the same colour as the case so the logo itself and the light which shines through it can truly be the focus of attention, rather than the surround.

Hmm.. I mentioned this before maybe just the outline of the plate should be kept metal colored, like a stylish silver lining and the rest colored in the same tint as the case.

Back