A few Colors and Packages (with a poll!)

Which packaging would you prefer?

• The smaller one (with the battery below the Pyra)

Votes: 282 94.3%
  • The bigger one (with the battery and the Pyra at the same level)

Votes: 17 5.7%

• Total voters

Really...I really have to look for a black metal pic myself? The setup was perfect.

As for all the various ways to color and treat metal, I have yet to encounter one that doesn't eventually get worn down or scratched, and aluminum is pretty soft.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluing_(steel)

Rundstab-brueniert-800.jpg
kinda like this, right?

That's still technically a coating. Since he's using aluminium for the part, I'd hope he'd anodise it rather than painting it. An anodised, dyed coating can be scratched off, but it's hard work (and for that matter blued steel can also be scratched off).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anodising

Edit: Ballsed up the link. Can't remember how to have a named link in BBcode.

Last edited:
If you manage to scratch off the anodization on aluminium, I should think that puts the amount of wear up to the levels the case would withstand anyway?

Black anodization would go well with many colours, especially dark ones. Its about the positive space, white on black just means more contrast.

Fun trivia, a black man in norway, is traditionally called, directly translated, a blueman.

Yeah probably. My point of reference was water jugs that we had at first school, and those all had a ring of scratched metal around where they touched. They were probably a dozen years old by then, and none were perfectly round any more, so yeah it's probably safe to say that if you apply the force to scratch the anodised layer off, you're going to bend the case.

i think we're still getting a little ahead of ourselves. until we get the black case, and see it with the logo plate, i don't think we can make an informed opinion about it...

Fun fact: The German term for "blueing" is literally translated "browning".
It gets neither blue nor brown but more or less black...
If I remember correctly, browning was a method used to protect steel prior to bluing becoming a common thing. (I just checked, and it is even mentioned on the linked Wikipedia page.) I wonder if that might be related to what you said.
so you'd prefer we call it "blacking" ;)?
That is a few other things...one of which I accidentally stumbled upon while looking at boots (no, I don't mean merely polishing boots, although that is part of it...)
If you manage to scratch off the anodization on aluminium, I should think that puts the amount of wear up to the levels the case would withstand anyway?
Due to your phrasing I am not really sure I am understanding you correctly. I have quite a few anodized things that are all scraped up. The raw aluminum underneath shines through, and they look bad imo. For some of those I have sanded the rest of the color off. I have one that is anodized but still retains the original aluminum color, and after after several years in my pocket with keys and other things scratching it up it still looks decent. The scratches aren't noticeable unless I am looking for them.
Black anodization would go well with many colours, especially dark ones. Its about the positive space, white on black just means more contrast.
If the shoulder buttons will be black it might look decent regardless of the main color (like a tuxedo when paired with white, which penguins kinda look like they are wearing, which is the Linux mascot), assuming it isn't all scratched to hell.

i think we're still getting a little ahead of ourselves. until we get the black case, and see it with the logo plate, i don't think we can make an informed opinion about it...
I still would like a very dark grey instead of black as the conservative color, and I think the plate will look better silvery instead of black. If ED goes with black for the logo plate I hope I am wrong, or my preference changes. I can always make my own plate out of uncolored aluminum (or copper) easier than the average person can anodize their own aluminum black, so if there is no price difference, and ED is willing to go for black, it might be the better option of that is what most people want. I think both are neutral enough that they could work for a wide range of plastic colors (with black possibly looking like it belongs more with the black buttons just below it). Because of that I think we need to see both main colors with the plate...which requires a decision.

I wonder how many more case color polls there will be after ED's next Greece trip.

Anodized aluminium has a really hard surface.
It needs a diamond or carbide tool (or extreme force) to damage the surface.

In german "blackenened" surface of steel is also knewn as "brüniert".
This surface finish is relative easy to get rubbed of compared to anodized aluminium.

Anodized aluminium has a really hard surface.
It needs a diamond or carbide tool (or extreme force) to damage the surface.
I can tell you, from repeated first hand experience, it doesn't. Normal pocket stuff well scrape it up pretty quickly. The only reason this won't happen with the Pyra is that it is unlikely to be put in a pocket with other things, although a stray coin could still do it. If you have it in a cargo pocket with other things, or @matzesu's buttons, it will probably also get scratched up.

I can tell you, from repeated first hand experience, it doesn't. Normal pocket stuff well scrape it up pretty quickly. The only reason this won't happen with the Pyra is that it is unlikely to be put in a pocket with other things, although a stray coin could still do it. If you have it in a cargo pocket with other things, or @matzesu's buttons, it will probably also get scratched up.
The anodising needs to be thick enough to be scratch resistant.
I didn't managed to scratch my anodised parts within normal usage.

The anodising needs to be thick enough to be scratch resistant.
I didn't managed to scratch my anodised parts within normal usage.
That is probably true. On one of the things I decided to sand of the anodized layer there are a couple spots where I barely did anything to it, so I just left those. If the whole thing had been like that it probably wouldn't have been scratched to begin with. Cheaper consumer level things seem to be the worst. While the thing that isn't colored is far less scratched up than the other things, it its still scratched, but only on a few edges/corners. I don't know what caused them, or how different, or more noticeable, it would have been if I went for red, blue, black, or one of the other colors (I was trying to avoid noticeable scratches since I knew it would live in my pocket for years, if not the rest of my life).

Out of curiosity, did any of your parts spend much time in a pocket with coins and keys?

Make up your mind, ible! xD
In the post it is quite decisive, and I appreciate the acknowledgement that they are merely (well informed and thought out) opinions.

Too bad the logo is part of the hardware.

I would have preferred it been discarded or painted decal on to save costs.

I would much rather the Pyra logo be a sticker sold at the Dragonbox store to help with revenue as in Join-the-cool-Pyra-Preorder-Patron-club

That said, logo looks fine to me, but I'm going to pollute my Pyra case with anime stickers cuz i enjoy dwebness

Too bad the logo is part of the hardware.

I would have preferred it been discarded or painted decal on to save costs.

I would much rather the Pyra logo be a sticker sold at the Dragonbox store to help with revenue as in Join-the-cool-Pyra-Preorder-Patron-club

That said, logo looks fine to me, but I'm going to pollute my Pyra case with anime stickers cuz i enjoy dwebness
Well The logo on the back of the LCD lid is also acting as an indicator light. Personally I'm not really a big fan of the decided logo, but Stickers look cheap, I'd rather not have a sticker on it.

Back