Release 3.2 kernel issue tracking thread

Good for you, when debugging bootloaders/kernel, it's either eject or wait for a full boot to do that..

True, the same problem we have with the PND Kill Window already.

Is there a way to change these layers and go on top?

I mean, a lot of people (like me) never eject .. just use wifi scp or usbnet to do file transfers these days (the days of ejecting SD cards 20 times per minute, as in the gp32 SMC days.. are gone!) -- so really, sync and unmount is fine for me. (Or for peopel who have mature sertups and arenm't changing much.)

jeff

Is there a guide anywhere on how to setup wifi scp or usbnet, it would be very handy

possibly broken programs/games:

• MAME4ALL - quits back to desktop?
  • UAE4ALL - wont load after selecting core?
  • gpfce - works ok, but sound is a bit flakey.?
  • IOQuake2 - loads fine. looks fine but controls do not work.?
  • EDuke32 - doesnt load menu?
  • PanPlayer - may result in black screen?

I retried the games/apps in the list. gpfce works great, so does PanPlayer, EDuke and IOQuake2! no issues at all.

UAE4ALL gets to the main menu now, however none of the controls work, have to pull the battery to exit (Unable to obtain the output file) it works fine with the stable kernel too.

MAME4ALL still the same. Heres the output from the PND:

Code:
=======================================================================================

PND         	: /media/SD1/pandora/menu/mame4all-beta7.pnd

PND_FSTYPE  	: Squashfs

APPDATADIR  	: /media/SD1/pandora/appdata/mame4all

APPDD_FSTYPE	: vfat

PND_CPUSPEED	: <unset>

EXENAME     	: mame.sh

ARGUMENTS   	: <unset>

=======================================================================================

[ START ]--- Mount the PND ----------

Mounting : mount -t squashfs -o ro "/dev/loop0" "/mnt/utmp/mame4all"

Mounting the Union FS : mount -t aufs -o exec,noplink,dirs="/media/SD1/pandora/appdata/mame4all=rw+nolwh":"/mnt/pnd/mame4all=rr" none "/mnt/utmp/mame4all"

[SUCCESS]--- Mount the PND ----------

[ START ]--- Starting the application (mame.sh ) ----------

op_runfbapp: open /dev/tty: No such device or address

writing fir:

Simple pixel doubling (no filter)

/usr/pandora/scripts/op_videofir.sh: line 34: can't create /sys/devices/platform/omapdss/overlay1/filter_coef_up_h: nonexistent directory

writing fir:

Default (Slightly blurred)

/usr/pandora/scripts/op_videofir.sh: line 34: can't create /sys/devices/platform/omapdss/overlay1/filter_coef_up_h: nonexistent directory

[SUCCESS]--- Starting the application (mame.sh ) ----------

[ START ]--- Restoring the frame buffer status ----------

[SUCCESS]--- Restoring the frame buffer status ----------

[ START ]--- uMount the PND ----------

[ START ]--- Waiting the Union to be available ----------

[SUCCESS]--- Waiting the Union to be available ----------

auplink:plink.c:223: AUFS_CTL_PLINK_MAINT: Inappropriate ioctl for device

rmdir: failed to remove `/mnt/utmp/mame4all': Device or resource busy

[ START ]--- Waiting the PND mount dir to be free ----------

[SUCCESS]--- Waiting the PND mount dir to be free ----------

cleanup done

[SUCCESS]--- uMount the PND ----------

Return code is : 1

Post updated, thanks. UAE4ALL uses a feature that won't be ported over because it's problematic, so will have to be patched. MAME4ALL still needs to be investigated, maybe it's upset because it can't set the filter, so might work when that's fixed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wait ... I only tried ioquake 2 and still had the same issue (no controls and very few keys worked). Will check again further when I get home.

Edit: Tried ioquake 2 nanogl again and original issue still exists (no controls). keyboard 'seems' to work but not gamepad or nubs. For example I can press enter, escape and functions keys (F12 exits), but that seems to be it. can press some like T (chat I think) but then can't press anything else.

Just tried GPFCE, and eduke and they do seem fine, but ioquake 2 still has same issue

Edit tried panplayer too and still has same issue as oriiginally stated. Additionaly, it seemed to play my video for about 5-10 min or 25 then went back to selection screen. when I play after that its black and only get sound. Even exiting to minimenu then back to panplayer shows black.

Edit2 Tried latest UAE4ALLand choose fame/C, etc get black screen only only, wont load half to hit pandora key.

Strange IOQuake2 def didnt work under the original Beta, but works for me in Beta 2. I went back to re-try it (just incase I was being silly and booted into the normal kernel by mistake!) but it does work fine, for me at least. I cant remember if I adjusted any settings in the game (while in the stable kernel) in an attempt to get it working prior to Beta 2.

I must confess, I only tested PanPlayer for a few minutes. Played a xvid file for a few minutes, stopped it, then tried another for a few minutes. I havent watched for a long period of time. Strangely enough, I realised afterwords that I hadnt even installled the codec pack...

Does anyone else have the problem that the Pandora won't shut down with the 3.2.1 kernel from Beta2?

My box gets stuck with the "experimental kernel" screen and the blue progress bar being blacked out, but the system doesn't power off.

Also mmc_core.removable=0 doesn't seem to work 100% - get some mmc errors when resuming the system. This is on the old hardware.

There is still a problem with someone running something fullscreen that will overdraw any message boxes.

I mean, a lot of people (like me) never eject .. just use wifi scp or usbnet to do file transfers these days (the days of ejecting SD cards 20 times per minute, as in the gp32 SMC days.. are gone!)
Good for you, when debugging bootloaders/kernel, it's either eject or wait for a full boot to do that..

Yes, well, sometimes you still have to. You knew the job was dangerous when you took it ;)

I got more than my share of hell in .. just for gp32 and gp2x and psp and of course, I coded for every phone ever made (including palm, rim, pocket pc, symbian, etc), so I got more than my fair share of ejecting and insert SD cards for every damned operation. I really need to destroy some of those devices.. which is why I let my young babies drool on them now!

But for kernel.. yeah, hit reoboot, hope it comes back up, and watch that serial line .. joy oh joy :) Testing reflashers ... garg! Didn't you make a lego robot that knows how to push the SD slot, to toggle a card in and out? :)

jeff

Does anyone else have the problem that the Pandora won't shut down with the 3.2.1 kernel from Beta2?

My box gets stuck with the "experimental kernel" screen and the blue progress bar being blacked out, but the system doesn't power off.

Also mmc_core.removable=0 doesn't seem to work 100% - get some mmc errors when resuming the system. This is on the old hardware.
http://www.openpando.../Zaxxon-HF6.zip

My NAND was full and this full reflash helped me. Had a similar issue when I installed Super Zaxxon, it worked for me. I then was able to reinstall Super Zaxxon Beta 1 and Beta 2 without issue.

Strange IOQuake2 def didnt work under the original Beta, but works for me in Beta 2. I went back to re-try it (just incase I was being silly and booted into the normal kernel by mistake!) but it does work fine, for me at least. I cant remember if I adjusted any settings in the game (while in the stable kernel) in an attempt to get it working prior to Beta 2.

I must confess, I only tested PanPlayer for a few minutes. Played a xvid file for a few minutes, stopped it, then tried another for a few minutes. I havent watched for a long period of time. Strangely enough, I realised afterwords that I hadnt even installled the codec pack...

I'm sorry. you did get me thinking though, I forgot codec pack as well. So I installed it and timidy small too. Then retested ioquake2 now works as before (still freezes but thats always been there.) Also checked panplayer again, seems to work fine now.

Edit again: UAE4all now gets past the selection of the core to get to menu but I can't seem to do anything from there. Maybe someone else (or the person who originally posted first issue could install codec pack and maybe timidy too, then try UAE4all.

And sorry again but it looks like codecpack and/or timidy missing has caused the errors I was getting.

Is there a guide anywhere on how to setup wifi scp or usbnet, it would be very handy
I have never used usbnet, but I guess you can use it to set up networking if you don't want to use wifi, but using scp is a piece of cake:

1. Connect to your network using wifi

2. In a terminal, use scp.

To expand slightly, the scp command line looks like 'scp source user@server:dest' to copy a file to another linux computer, or 'scp user@server:source dest' to copy a file from another computer. Replace 'source' and 'dest' with filenames, 'server' with a hostname or ip address of a machine on your network and 'user' with a username on that machine. Job done!

Hello,

I have a strange behavior in kernel 3.2 (booted directly from nand). I have only one SD card in my Pandora. When I put the SD card in the left slot, using kernel 3.2, it is automatically mounted read-only (and this entails many problems such as several pnd cannot be run). But when I put the SD card into the right slot of the Pandora, everything works fine : the card is mounted read-write, most of the pnd can be run, ...

Everything works fine in previous kernel.

Maybe corruption? Scan your card in a windowscomputer for errors and repair them, if needed.

Then try again.

There is still a problem with someone running something fullscreen that will overdraw any message boxes.

I mean, a lot of people (like me) never eject .. just use wifi scp or usbnet to do file transfers these days (the days of ejecting SD cards 20 times per minute, as in the gp32 SMC days.. are gone!)

Yes, well, sometimes you still have to. You knew the job was dangerous when you took it ;)

I got more than my share of hell in .. just for gp32 and gp2x and psp and of course, I coded for every phone ever made (including palm, rim, pocket pc, symbian, etc), so I got more than my fair share of ejecting and insert SD cards for every damned operation. I really need to destroy some of those devices.. which is why I let my young babies drool on them now!

But for kernel.. yeah, hit reoboot, hope it comes back up, and watch that serial line .. joy oh joy :) Testing reflashers ... garg! Didn't you make a lego robot that knows how to push the SD slot, to toggle a card in and out? :)

jeff

Hmm, this just got me thinking- would it maybe be possible to create a minimal kernel / init script that boots and simply puts the Pandora into the "SD card reader" mode- you could select this as an option in the boot menu.

I'm not how long this would take to boot, but it might avoid the need to ever eject SD cards.

Another idea is would it be possible to boot a kernel over the network with PXE?

On pressing the switch to go into suspend I got the following error message:

nm-dispatcher.action: Error in get_property: Method "Get" with signature "ss" on interface "org.freedesktop.DBus.Properties" doesn't exists

Issues reported by me:

• SD Mass Storage: Mounting to PC, R/W to/from SD on PC, Unmount on PC all work; but then when I quit the hosting on the Pandora, it freezes.

Known issues, confirmed by me:

• Touchscreen: Polling interval got noticeably lower. Still satisfying for most apps, but unacceptable for drawing apps, i.e. "Pencil". Round pencil strokes are now very edgy, which were very smooth with the old kernel.

Reported issues, invalidated by me:

• Charging via USB: Works for me.

Back