100% success! (2011-12-24)

What a wonderful christmas present! The video is just great and the background music, too. ;)

I want to thank the complete OPT (also the people in the background that are not that present as ED) for making this happen.

There's just one point that I am worried about: You really look like a half-dead zombie ED.

You have to get some sleep and recreation. Please.

Very nice Video, ED. :)

I already have my Pandora but I'm also happy about the RAM Update. Should make usage of RAM intense Programms like Browsers much better. The only thing that never should happen is that Coders do programs that NEED these 512Mb RAM, which would lead to sadness for Users with the old Pandoras.

Last edited by a moderator:
I already have my Pandora but I'm also happy about the RAM Update. Should make usage of RAM intense Programms like Browsers much better. The only thing that never should happen is that Coders do programs that NEED these 512Mb RAM, which would lead to sadness for Users with the old Pandoras.

I can't think of a lot of games or programs that would NEED 512MB RAM... at least not many that would run properly on our SoC as well.

However, if a game port REQUIRES 512MB RAM, then why shouldn't anyone port it?

Sure, it would not work on the older units, but it wouldn't also work there if there was no Pandora with more RAM ;)

Sure, it would not work on the older units, but it wouldn't also work there if there was no Pandora with more RAM ;)
Uh...OK. Makes sense...somehow... :rolleyes:

I doubt people will start coding games or apps that with the idea "It absolutely NEEDS to use more than 256MB RAM... muauauahaaa!"

I guess they code stuff and see how much RAM it uses and try to optimize that ;)

However, I am also planning of an upgrade program: If you already own a Pandora, you can get a new PCB for an upgrade price (and either keep or swap your case as well).

The old boards will be sold as second hand units for a cheaper price. I've not worked out the details yet, but these are the basics of what I'm planning.

Will that be a better case, i.e. one that doesn't have the cracking problem?

With the RAM Upgrade we could finally make use of the DSP. AFAIK it needs a fixed amount of memory and loosing round about 32 MB with a total of 512 woult be no big sacrifice.

Fantastic progress, ED! I'm astonished at how many goals you are continuing to meet. What you have accomplished so far is astounding. Even the process of raising the investment alone would have defeated most normal people, let alone all of the complexity of moving production to Germany. Add to this that you are constantly communicating your steps with the community and even producing professional videos to boot, with no support staff helping you. Unbelievable.

I tip my hat to you, sir.

Hope you get some time over the holidays to just sit back and enjoy your progress.

Nice, at least that would please some of the first batchers (myself included) for the long wait.

And nice video btw.

As soon as the upgrade program is launched, I'm in. It's no secret I use my Pandora mostly for Desktop purposes. My case is also developing cracks anyway, so I might as well go for it.
I'm definitely in for it, too - I'm looking forward to finding out how much it will cost. I use it for desktop-type-stuff a lot more than I had initially expected, and my case has a couple of (Sugru-filled) holes and a few cracks. :p

Great work, ED! :D

I can't think of a lot of games or programs that would NEED 512MB RAM... at least not many that would run properly on our SoC as well.

Only one i can really think of that ive used is Wesnoth, i couldnt finish the main campaign cause of crashes.

But now the DSP could be loaded without worry.

Maybe more memory can be used by the SGX?

Well there may not be a program that requires 512 MB ram but developers now have the ability to have programs with more ram if needed.

Only one i can really think of that ive used is Wesnoth, i couldnt finish the main campaign cause of crashes.
I noticed this with the 1.9 branch, I guess because of all the new graphics and Animations. The old 1.8 branch didn't crashed for me yet. Maybe it is a memory leak or something like this, 1.9x often crashes for me after a while of playing. I'm sure Wesnoth will greatly benefit from more RAM, same for Firefox & Co. :)

But now the DSP could be loaded without worry.

Maybe more memory can be used by the SGX?

Pickle, This was what I was exactly thinking when I heard they shoved more ram on this puppy.

Back