100% success! (2011-12-24)

512MB will make it easier for me to develop games initially requiring more than 512MB that need optimizations for 256.

I'll probably get a second unit, after which I will probably develop initially on the 512MB but make sure everything works on the 256 before release :)

Somewhat off topic.... but play Wesnoth with swap, and all's well (even with the 1.9 branch, for which I've played a lot).
I know that this can fix some Software Issues, Browsers also benefit from SWAp but I have not found an SD card friendly swap solution yet, only pretty SD card unfriendly solutions. I have no old spare SD for using as swap for example. ;)

This is the best christmas gift we could ever wish. It is very good to see that Pandora mass production is finally becoming a reality. Thanks so much for everything ED. Merry christmas.

BTW: The song of the video brings me some very good memories. What is the name of the game?

Excellent progress and Video.

Ed. That music in the Vid was from Outrun right?.

upgrade? Pffff! More like this a good chance for those who only have one Pandora and want a second one, especially if they have children, nieces n nephews.

Excellent news, makes me feel all better about this:

pandorder.jpg

I wonder how many are left in Batch 1.... I was in line 1000-1100!

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks ed for the heads up and the countles hours you contiously put into this.

also thanks to mweston who came up with a lightning fast solution to an obviously not so trivial problem.

all of this is indeed good news and fires up our worn out nerves.

i would of loved seeing this production run actually happen with my own eyes, but the video works more than well for me :)

the ram update is quite a surprise and sure will come in handy some day. thanks a lot for this, too :)

just keep up the great work and make this dream come true! you guys are awesome!

First post, and glad that it's here.

Congratulations to all, and thank you all so much for your hard work and determination. I just put my preorder in a week ago, so it'll be interesting to see how long it will take from the time production starts to delivery.

Is there a noticeable effect on battery life with the extra ram?

the upgrade sounds like something worth saving up for! though, i would say that i hope each upgrade wouldnt just end up recouping costs but making a bit more money too. its a pretty labour intensive task.

out of interest, what would the original boards be used for? cheaper reconditioned units?

Great news all around; I'm glad for ED, that its more excitement than stress of late :)

Good to see sebt3 too, not caught you in IRC in ages :eek:

Be good to see our little scene picking up again!

jeff

Wasn't there talk of putting in a slightly more powerfull soc in when your current stockpile of chips runs out?

... I remember throwing a toy or two at the time hearing this, but would fully back the move now.

Another upgrade plan down the line? - 3 variations of the Pandora?

Seems a bit inellegant. It's a pity the upgraded soc couldn't be used now...

Wasn't there talk of putting in a slightly more powerfull soc in when your current stockpile of chips runs out?

... I remember throwing a toy or two at the time hearing this, but would fully back the move now.

Another upgrade plan down the line? - 3 variations of the Pandora?

Seems a bit inellegant. It's a pity the upgraded soc couldn't be used now...

That was just an idea ED was throwing around. It's not going to happen.

ED, I think you're a remarkably persistent, loyal and generous individual. Thank you and all the other devs, you guys could have said goodbye to the Pandora a long time ago, but you stuck it out and are making our dream device become a reality :)

I like the idea of a RAM and case upgrade, how about a CPU upgrade too? Is it getting more difficult to source the OMAP3530 now? (Muhahahha)

Awesome news! Congratulations EvilD and the Pandora team! That video was very interesting to watch.

There is sure value and benefit for those with existing Pandora's that want to utilise the double RAM.

For a gamer like me, would it be worth upgrading to the new board?

Would the extra RAM mean that SEGA Dreamcast emulator would work.....?

Merry Christmas to all!

Great news ED, being a owner of an "old" 256MB unit I don't feel that bad. Won't be able to afford the upgrade though, I'm not working now, and my unit is not in very good shape. I have to replace nubs (have got the replacements here) and a couple of cracks in the case, but I assure I can live with it. Even with this handicap the pandora has become my most used gadget, as a gaming machine, multimedia player, note taking, browsing/email device, and most of those things being doable at same time with astounding battery life. I don't regret in any way having bought it.

Congratulations to those who will revieve theirs in short.

Merry christmas everyone and good news all around.

The ram upgrade is nice, but I really want to upgrade and see, if it solves some issues, if you can allocate more ram to the sgx. Also my port of the goonies needs more ram, too, else it will crash occasionally :(

Hope the upgrade won't cost 200 Euros, as the original pandora was 250 and the new one is 350. The second hand ones can be sold for e.g. 250, so I think a logical upgradeprice could be 100-150 Euro max. But that is my opinion...

I definetely want a higher ram pandora. Would also make a huge difference if you wan to code and compile on it.

Have some nice quiet days now and enjoy them as much as you can (yes ED, you too).

Hope the upgrade won't cost 200 Euros, as the original pandora was 250 and the new one is 350.

The original one was 250 incl. VAT, so about 200 without.

The current one is 375 EUR without VAT, so the difference is 175 EUR.

I have to calculate the absolute minimum I can go (and determine the price I can sell the old, used PCBs for) to find a reasonably one.

I'm aiming for about 150 EUR.

Back