Where are we now?

Because a metallic grey logo might be better for the shiny grey coating he is going to try ? Or any other color like blue or red.
I understand the part is not meant to be coated. But if it 100% work, why wouldn't you do it?
You had me confused with this talk of metallic grey, then I remembered he was talking about using a glossy coat that gives the effect of a sheen on the plastics. I'd still call it black with a sheen rather than grey.

I dunno exactly. They do say that black goes with everything.

You had me confused with this talk of metallic grey, then I remembered he was talking about using a glossy coat that gives the effect of a sheen on the plastics. I'd still call it black with a sheen rather than grey.

I dunno exactly. They do say that black goes with everything.
He said that he is going to try the matte black coating and a chrome like shiny grey. I was saying that since the logo is a metalic grey it is well suited for the chrome coating, and also for any other color,
Black goes with everything but a raw metal plate looks more natural than a random black thing. It's my interpretation.

Too bad ED isn't going to try coating the logo, if it can be done it is well worth a try. I saw he already tried a black logo which went to one of the prototype preorders but it's not like an all black coating.

In earlier versions, the logo was a metal plate. But it's not anymore.
I guess the prototype you are talking about still had the old metal version.
Now the logo is a thick plastic sticker instead.
Where did did I say the logo is a metal plate? The matter isn't relevant when you talk about the look.
A metal plate couldn't get coated, the plastic can, and it's a shame it isn't tested.

Where did did I say the logo is a metal plate? The matter isn't relevant when you talk about the look.
A metal plate couldn't get coated, the plastic can, and it's a shame it isn't tested.
The logo piece can be directly printed in whatever color ED wants. My prototype has the sticker he's using. It is perfect to task and needs no changes as is. Keep in mind that it needs to be 'light' because it -is- a window for the two color LED lights that live behind it.

it -is- a window for the two color LED lights that live behind it.
How does that work out btw? Are you happy with them being notification lights? Does it look good?
How happy are you overall? It seems you are less active on the boards now that you have your Pyra and I hardly read anything about your experiences with it.

But don't feel pressured to write up anything, I'm just curious :D

Last edited:
How does that work out btw? Are you happy with them being notification lights? Does it look good?
How happy are you overall? It seems you are less active on the boards now that you have your Pyra and I hardly read anything about your experiences with it.

Real life has gone quite crazy these last few months. Up until yesterday, for example, my Steam account said 0 hours played in the last two weeks. I snuck in 2 hours of play on Sunday.

The translucent piece illuminates with the LEDs very nicely. Right now the LEDs seem to mostly match up to the LEDs on the keyboard. There isn't an LED control app yet, but I understand that they -can- be independently controlled and linked to events. It looks very good. The silvery vinyl surround fits well. I am pretty sure I included some pictures of that in my prototype thread.

I'm happy with how the Pyra is physically/mechanically. There is a lot left to do from a software support side. The OS keeps getting a bit better.

Games-wise, I need a way to force-limit the max CPU that a game is allowed to access. Games like Hostile Takeover will max out the CPU to max out frame rates - beyond what is needed for play - resulting in shorter battery life (4+ hours with maxed out CPU) and some heat - gets warm, not 'hot'. I wish we had Vulture's Eye for Pyra so that I would have a low CPU draw game that would keep me occupied for hours and hours.

I have fiddled around a bit with installing the OS to a microSDXC card and running from the internal slot. Works.

I'm curious what the board differences will be between the prototypes and the production units - ED mentioned that there were a few that required OS tweaks. Hopefully they will be able to keep the prototypes included in the main Pyra OS.

I'm really happy with the prototype. Wishing I had more time to play with it though. Life is just throwing me some rather serious complications - I'm looking forward to 2021 because 2020 sucks.

The logo piece can be directly printed in whatever color ED wants. My prototype has the sticker he's using. It is perfect to task and needs no changes as is. Keep in mind that it needs to be 'light' because it -is- a window for the two color LED lights that live behind it.
Yeah I know, but ED has already printed the logo plates and the color he chose is the best compromise for any case color in any quantity. Anyway the black coating would be different than black printing.
I'm not asking for anything more than a test along the other coating he is going to try, is it so hard to stick a logo on a lid and put the part beside the testing black set before coating?

@Kiga I'm really not sure what you're trying to convey. Is there a problem you perceive there being with the logo? I'm sure the sticker could be changed if you're desperate to do so.

I'm looking forward to 2021 because 2020 sucks.

I think most of us would agree to that.

You should change your signature to "Posted from <my browser> from my Pyra" :)

On my Prototype I did exactly one thing with the LEDs: Turn them ff permanently.
I don't need LED on the back of my device while it's running.
I also don't need LEDs in the front that indicate whenever there is memory access.
It may be handy for Telegram notifications at some day but for now it's a gimmick.

That said, I don't have the sticker but a hole in my lid instead.
SO it does not even look good for me and it's justified to turn them off :p

Frankly, arguing about the colour and material of the logo is bikeshedding and reminds me of Douglas Adams' descriptions of the denizens of the B-ark sitting in a focus group trying to determine what colour a wheel should be*. The important thing is to get the Pyras built and distributed - all the important decisions have been taken.

* Full script here. Background here.

@Kiga I'm really not sure what you're trying to convey. Is there a problem you perceive there being with the logo? I'm sure the sticker could be changed if you're desperate to do so.
Yes, the logo plate is too visible and not so beautiful. It was originally planned to be just a logo cutout but there were light bleeding hence the plate. I don't have unlimited spare energy to mod my Pyra.

The important thing is to get the Pyras built and distributed - all the important decisions have been taken.
No, the color of the case hasn't been chose, there will be a pool soon to decide.

Frankly, arguing about the colour and material of the logo is bikeshedding
The color of that big logo plate is almost as important as the color of the case. In fact coating the logo plate is the only remaining relevant discussion.
I'm trying to give us more choice in regards to the appearance of the device, if it can be done and cost nothing, why wouldn't you want to see it ?

Yes, the logo plate is too visible and not so beautiful. It was originally planned to be just a logo cutout but there were light bleeding hence the plate. I don't have unlimited spare energy to mod my Pyra.
Yes, don't forget you'll only have to take out two screws from the screen surround, detach the lid back and surround, put your finger behind the LCD panel and push it out.
there will be a pool soon to decide.
Moah polls (or pools, it's up to you) \o/

Yes, don't forget you'll only have to take out two screws from the screen surround, detach the lid back and surround, put your finger behind the LCD panel and push it out.

Moah polls (or pools, it's up to you) \o/
Just for newbies, where/how do DragonBox polls take place?

The hard part is finding something durable, safe and aesthetic to replace the plate with.

Back