... we're still alive!

ED, sounds like your next project should be a phone with slide keyboard.

I would buy it.
For me, I settled for the slide-keyboard form factor with N810/N900, but I much prefer clamshell.
If you're trying to avoid the headset, you could just throw mic & speakers in a reasonable place on the outside of the case.

My suggestion for the next project is an Atom-based CPU board upgrade that can compete with the GPD WIN.
OMAP5 is already obsolete - the main reason I'm still planning to get a Pyra despite this is because there's nothing better, but if GPD WIN had a modem...
Also, if the upgrades are delayed much, I'm afraid the current non-upgradable system won't have much value left: in a year or two, people will probably expect USB-C and such.
Frankly, I already value the upgradability at near zero due to the lack of camera, but that's another one of those things no competition seems to be providing (yet).

For me, I settled for the slide-keyboard form factor with N810/N900, but I much prefer clamshell.
If you're trying to avoid the headset, you could just throw mic & speakers in a reasonable place on the outside of the case.

My suggestion for the next project is an Atom-based CPU board upgrade that can compete with the GPD WIN.
OMAP5 is already obsolete - the main reason I'm still planning to get a Pyra despite this is because there's nothing better, but if GPD WIN had a modem...
Also, if the upgrades are delayed much, I'm afraid the current non-upgradable system won't have much value left: in a year or two, people will probably expect USB-C and such.
Frankly, I already value the upgradability at near zero due to the lack of camera, but that's another one of those things no competition seems to be providing (yet).

You seem like a spec chaser, already got to have the newest, best and latest. I and most people don't actually need the best and greatest. It has all the ports i need or want on it and will last me for a long long time. I may not even need an upgrade board... But I'll have to evaluate that

Also a clamshell would blow for a phone.

Last edited:

Well if people don't buy the current Pyra an upgrade board most likely won't be funded, I've played with the OMAP5, it's powerful enough for a while, also the Pandora was in the same boat when it came out and see what we've done with that beast.

USB-C hasn't even taken off yet, and it's not like USB 2.0 only ports have disappeared completely when USB 3.0 came out. And I'm sure general peripherals like mice, keyboards and gamepads will not switch overnight to USB-C, Hell almost all those devices are still using USB 1.1 standards. Most applications that would benefit with the increased performance of USB-C would likely drain the battery in an hour. It's also not out of the realm of possibility a new main-board could be developed to have a USB C port in the same space as a 2.0 port, just comes with a shroud to cover the extra space in the original casing.

Last edited:
My only real question with the OMAP5 is that it's the end of the line as far as that series of TI SOCs go. So if we do end up with an upgrade board for the Pyra, it won't be a TI SOC (ie no OMAP 6). It means a change and the uncertainty that comes with it. Will all Pyra SW run on the new SOC etc. It will be interesting, especially considering EDs choices will be limited again to what suppliers will provide low volumes of their SOC.

The Pyra should be cost what it cost, and i ditnt find 8 € more for the big Ok if the 3G Modell reachs the 1000 € mark, then i would buy the Wifi Modell..
But im ready to pay up to 650€ for the Pyra..
The prize of the 4G version will probably be in between: 500€ + 100€ (ED said that would probably the price difference between the versions) + VAT.
So within the EU we will probably have a retail price of about 600€ for the base model and a bit more than 700€ for the 4G version

It's also not out of the realm of possibility a new main-board could be developed to have a USB C port in the same space as a 2.0 port, just comes with a shroud to cover the extra space in the original casing.

With USB C replacing the USB3OTG, the normal USB port and maybe the charging port even I would still want it to have one Regular USB 2 host port though. That is a few years and a pile of Pyra sales away.

I will probably always have a need for "legacy" USB ports. I am just now getting caught up there, such as with keyboards. I still don't have a USB to RS-232 adaptor since there seem to be so many little things to consider when picking one, and I don't know what I will be doing with it in the future.

Well if people don't buy the current Pyra an upgrade board most likely won't be funded, I've played with the OMAP5, it's powerful enough for a while, also the Pandora was in the same boat when it came out and see what we've done with that beast.

USB-C hasn't even taken off yet, and it's not like USB 2.0 only ports have disappeared completely when USB 3.0 came out. And I'm sure general peripherals like mice, keyboards and gamepads will not switch overnight to USB-C, Hell almost all those devices are still using USB 1.1 standards. Most applications that would benefit with the increased performance of USB-C would likely drain the battery in an hour. It's also not out of the realm of possibility a new main-board could be developed to have a USB C port in the same space as a 2.0 port, just comes with a shroud to cover the extra space in the original casing.
Just a not pick on you but USB c doesn't actually change the speed at all. The speed increase is from USB 3.1 that was developed separately on the same USB ports that 3.0 uses and USB c was to replace the OTG ports but there mostly being packaged together.

I remember someone in 2009 or 2010 saying how great it would be if the Pandora successor would have a 1GHz Snapdragon, which were the fastest mobile SoCs of that time, and now look at what we're getting on the Pyra. It will probably take quite a while for a new SoC board to be realeased, none of us have any clue what the future will bring, so let's not speculate wildly and just see what will happen. I for one am sure that I'll be absolutely happy with the OMAP5, I almost don't want any new SoC board to be released just to find out how much software can be optimised for it. If it's anywhere close to what has been done with the OMAP3530/3730, it's bound to be awesome.

...and a keyboard you could actually type on, and a community that's pumping out great and optimised software, and a manufacturer that's worth my support, and a exchangeable battery, and a upgradeable SoC, then yeah, I'd consider it, too. To me, the processing power is not a primary focus as long as I can still do the basic things I like. When I built my desktop PC in 2014 for a crapload of money, I noticed quickly that the things I mostly do on it is watching YouTube, do some writing and research for college and play DOS and SNES games on it. Now I know everybody has different priorities, but if I can do more than 90% of what I normally do on my desktop and my smartphone combined on a handheld with good controls, I'm really happy about it and don't think it's that much worth to upgrade it in the near future.

I noticed quickly that the things I mostly do on it is watching YouTube, do some writing and research for college and play DOS and SNES games on it.

This. I buy my parents and sister mid or lower level computers. I get no more than mid level myself. There is no point in buying the latest and greatest for any of us. Back in MS-DOS times it made sense to buy the best you could, with OS's, programs and specs advancing at a rapid rate. Now the only thing that takes advantage of the high end specs is in depth video processing ( I still do some on my mid level, and it is still pretty fast and effective) and the latest and greatest high end games. My computer is at least 6 years old right now, and I use the Pandora more than that which is about 8 years old?

Other than those, a single core can browse the internet just as well as that quad core.

Edit: Yes I know some people like 5,000 tabs open while streaming a movie and having emulators run while they video edit.

Last edited:
Well if people don't buy the current Pyra an upgrade board most likely won't be funded,
I get that. But it'd be nice to have an upgrade available soon afterward, because if it waits a year or two, it won't make much sense to do anything less than an entire new device.

USB-C hasn't even taken off yet, and it's not like USB 2.0 only ports have disappeared completely when USB 3.0 came out. And I'm sure general peripherals like mice, keyboards and gamepads will not switch overnight to USB-C, Hell almost all those devices are still using USB 1.1 standards. Most applications that would benefit with the increased performance of USB-C would likely drain the battery in an hour.
I'm more expecting USB-C to be the new charging standard. But we'll see.
[doublepost=1460100200,1460098876][/doublepost]On another topic... is there a rendering of the bottom showing where the battery sits, where the expansion/internal USB port is, and how much space is available for whatever uses that USB port inside the case?

Also, can the volume wheel be adjusted or overridden from software, or is strictly hardware? Is there anything to prevent it from being turned accidentally in our pockets?

P.S. It looks like the GPD WIN just got Bluetooth 4.1 support. I assume we're way too late to get that upgrade - it doesn't sound like something that a simple chip swap can do.

I get that. But it'd be nice to have an upgrade available soon afterward, because if it waits a year or two, it won't make much sense to do anything less than an entire new device.

And what do you expect to happen within one or two years that makes upgrading not feasable?
720p screens will still be the most useful one (if you don't want to have too tiny texts), normal USB ports will not disappear that fast (as it would render all old devices unusable). Heck, even most of the USB sticks these days are still USB 2.0...

Besides, every parts is exchangable, you could also get a new mainboard or new display when it's released, so with future SoCs it might be possible to choose whether your mainboard should have USB C or a normal USB port.

Also, can the volume wheel be adjusted or overridden from software, or is strictly hardware? Is there anything to prevent it from being turned accidentally in our pockets?

The Volume wheel is just a digital input device, whatever it does is entirely determined by the software (you could even use it to play Arkanoid).
However, I've never heard that anyone had problems accidentally changing volume when using the Pandora (or even most earlier other devices that used volume wheels), as they're usually not that easy to turn and often mostly hidden inside the case.

P.S. It looks like the GPD WIN just got Bluetooth 4.1 support. I assume we're way too
late to get that upgrade - it doesn't sound like something that a simple chip swap can do.

Even our prototypes already have BT 4.1 support, we just haven't updated the specs yet, it's still showing the old information (but also has a * behind mentioning the Wifi chip here is not final).

ED does the 500 euro price for the base model include vat? If not then what's the full price? And what about the enhanced 4g version?

ED does the 500 euro price for the base model include vat? If not then what's the full price? And what about the enhanced 4g version?

No, it's without VAT. In Europe, 19% need to be added.
The 4G version is not yet fixed, but probably about 80 EUR more (+ VAT)

Just a not pick on you but USB c doesn't actually change the speed at all. The speed increase is from USB 3.1 that was developed separately on the same USB ports that 3.0 uses and USB c was to replace the OTG ports but there mostly being packaged together.
I thought USB-C and the 3.1 standard was a packaged deal, otherwise what is the point? ease of plugging it in?, How hard is it to just rotate a cable around once...

How is USB-C supposed to replace OTG ports? To my knowledge, a USB-C port must be either a host or a client, it cannot be both, unlike an OTG port which can be both.

Back