... we're still alive!

I thought USB-C and the 3.1 standard was a packaged deal, otherwise what is the point? ease of plugging it in?, How hard is it to just rotate a cable around once...
USB-C can do quite a few things, and right now, the situation with USB-C and "USB 3.1" is not exactly straightforward. This article here explains why: USB Typ C - Der Stecker ist Standard, der Rest viel Recherche. This article is splendid, but unfortunately it's only available in German. You will have to use a translation service.

(Then there also was this recent event: Amazon bans the sale of rogue USB-C cables, some of which have been destroying hardware)

The Volume wheel is just a digital input device, whatever it does is entirely determined by the software (you could even use it to play Arkanoid).
However, I've never heard that anyone had problems accidentally changing volume when using the Pandora (or even most earlier other devices that used volume wheels), as they're usually not that easy to turn and often mostly hidden inside the case.

Which means that that volume wheel can be used in ways no normal volume wheel could.

Don't want to accidentally change it? Set it to, while lid is closed, only change volume when shift (shoulder button) is held.
Want to be able to adjust balance left/right without opening menus? Set it to alt+volume wheel up/down moves balance left/right.
Need more bass? Ctrl+volume wheel. More treble? Fn+volume wheel.

The cool bit is that there is so much that -can- be done. To get it done, though, is going to require the community dreaming and hacking together cool functionality.

The Volume wheel [...] you could even use it to play Arkanoid

do-want-house.jpg

The Volume wheel is just a digital input device, whatever it does is entirely determined by the software (you could even use it to play Arkanoid).
However, I've never heard that anyone had problems accidentally changing volume when using the Pandora (or even most earlier other devices that used volume wheels), as they're usually not that easy to turn and often.

So does that mean we could also map it with an other button to change the screen brightness?

It would probably have to be one or more of the different modifier keys. But, in theory any one or more of these + wheel should be able to be mapped to a function. Even ignoring the left/right designation of each modifier, that's 2^5 = 32 assignable volume wheel functions. Accounting for both left and right versions of each modifier it becomes 2^10 = 1024.

unmodified
Left Shift
Right Shift
Left Alt
Right Alt
Left Ctrl
Right Ctrl
Left Fn
Right Fn
Left Super
Right Super

In theory, that same capability for multiple assignments goes to every non-modifier key on the keyboard too. Getting dangerously close to another keyboard discussion though - so I'll leave it at that.

It would probably have to be one or more of the different modifier keys. But, in theory any one or more of these + wheel should be able to be mapped to a function. Even ignoring the left/right designation of each modifier, that's 2^5 = 32 assignable volume wheel functions. Accounting for both left and right versions of each modifier it becomes 2^10 = 1024.

unmodified
Left Shift
Right Shift
Left Alt
Right Alt
Left Ctrl
Right Ctrl
Left Fn
Right Fn
Left Super
Right Super

In theory, that same capability for multiple assignments goes to every non-modifier key on the keyboard too. Getting dangerously close to another keyboard discussion though - so I'll leave it at that.
Now I see you asking unsuspecting passers-by to press modifier keys for you, to help you use your über combos.

I thought USB-C and the 3.1 standard was a packaged deal, otherwise what is the point? ease of plugging it in?, How hard is it to just rotate a cable around once...
The point of type c as I see it is idiot proofing. But as for being a required packaged deal no they are not. You can get usb 3.1 cards for desktops that don't use type c and 3.0 cards that do. It's not technically out of spec for a type c port to only be usb 2.
[doublepost=1460144232,1460143960][/doublepost]

unmodified
Left Shift
Right Shift
Left Alt
Right Alt
Left Ctrl
Right Ctrl
Left Fn
Right Fn
Left Super
Right Super

Fn + wheel for screen brightness and Ctrl + wheel for keyboard back light sounds like something I can get behind.

Is that Fn and Ctrl on the shoulder buttons, or the keyboard buttons? The case I currently carry my Pandora in has a tendency to press the shoulder buttons in, stopping my keyboard shortcuts from working unless I pop the Pandora half way out of the case. But the volume wheel always works, which is useful as the volume slider on my headphones doesn't have the range to go from the quiet suburban roads to the main road as I walk to town.

Hmm, ED, didn't you say the pre-order would be coming 'in the next days' or so? Or did I miss something?
I would be quite willing to drop the ~410€ (+290€ from the pre-pre-order) for the 4G model right now, if only to simplify my own financial planning ☺

Fn + wheel for screen brightness and Ctrl + wheel for keyboard back light sounds like something I can get behind.

It should be possible for you to set that up, but since there is already a dedicated button on the keyboard to do those two functions, and you're unlikely to want to do either with the lid closed, I don't see the reason why using the volume wheel for screen or keyboard backlight adjustments. Not that you can't - it's just a bit silly. In case it's concern over the function of that backlight adjusting button, this was the plan for it when the keyboard was designed.

Backlight button function:
Push the button - screen backlight increases.
Shift+button - screen backlight decreases.
Fn+button - keyboard backlight increases.
Fn+Shift+button - keyboard backlight decreases.

On/off and increase screen backlight are the only hardware control buttons that really -must- be easy and clear to access. They are the only two device functions that when 'off' cannot be taught/shown with an on-screen help menu. That is why this button was planned to do exactly that without modifiers.

Each function may have a configuration option to 'loop', but that is software yet to be written.
Each function may have a configuration option to set how many steps and how bright each step is (the ramp), but that is software yet to be written.

There is nothing preventing Alt or Ctrl or Super + backlight button being used to toggle backlight(s) on to the last setting or off.

There isn't anything stopping someone from using the volume wheel for it either. It could allow you to use the backlight button for something else entirely.

Is that Fn and Ctrl on the shoulder buttons, or the keyboard buttons? The case I currently carry my Pandora in has a tendency to press the shoulder buttons in, stopping my keyboard shortcuts from working unless I pop the Pandora half way out of the case. But the volume wheel always works, which is useful as the volume slider on my headphones doesn't have the range to go from the quiet suburban roads to the main road as I walk to town.

These are theoretical capabilities that can be explored because of the nature of the volume wheel. None of them -have- to be. Most of them should be able to be controlled in a configuration menu, but that is software yet to be written.

The whole point is that there is nothing inherent in the design that prevents you or someone else interested in doing so from writing software to enable those uses.

It sounds like control configuration menu options could be a whole other series of discussions. The volume wheel configuration options by themselves could consume a whole thread.

[doublepost=1460144232,1460143960][/doublepost]

Or maybe we can use it to switch the left nub mod.

Hate to say it, but doesn't the volume wheel in the Pyra produce absolute values, with a physical stop at min/max? That would mean you can only have either volume or brightness (because if you lower the brightness to the minimum, the wheel won't spin to lower the volume.)

Hmm, ED, didn't you say the pre-order would be coming 'in the next days' or so? Or did I miss something?
I would be quite willing to drop the ~410€ (+290€ from the pre-pre-order) for the 4G model right now, if only to simplify my own financial planning ☺

Once we're finished with the calculation, yes.
Will probably happen in April :)

Hate to say it, but doesn't the volume wheel in the Pyra produce absolute values, with a physical stop at min/max? That would mean you can only have either volume or brightness (because if you lower the brightness to the minimum, the wheel won't spin to lower the volume.)
Software wise it could hold the last value if it's in a different mode.

Software wise it could hold the last value if it's in a different mode.

Hmm. I thought that the design had no upper/lower stops. I.e. it does not measure current/discrete position, just generates a + or - signal/stroke when turned left/right. I.e. like the wheel between the buttons on today's mice.

If that is the case, then there would need to be a configuration menu to translate how much turning equates to how much volume change.

I could most definitely be wrong on that though.

Back