Waiting in October

Hmmmm... if somebody, say, got ahold of the CAD files for the case, how easily could you build your own with a 3D printer? It seems the Pyra would be an ideal candidate for some serious modding. And probably the only way someone would be able to get a tiger-striped case thing going on...

Hmmmm... if somebody, say, got ahold of the CAD files for the case, how easily could you build your own with a 3D printer? It seems the Pyra would be an ideal candidate for some serious modding. And probably the only way someone would be able to get a tiger-striped case thing going on...

My guess as someone with a 3D printer I have to say most consumer level 3D printers will have trouble printing some of the parts. 

Skill money tricks and insight, or just a boatload of money.

Printing the parts works, getting it to work as a handheld is first and foremost about getting it together, and then dealing with clearances on moving parts like the hinge and the keyboard. Expect a lot of manual labour.

Depending on what level of pedantery you want to get up to with the general finish, its doable, but not very feasible.

So the keyboard is black, white and orange... Any other color than black for gaming buttons would be pretty ugly, not to mention that buttons are also part of the keyboard.

That's a good point.  The A/B/X/Y/I/II buttons are going to be covered with a clear layer like the rest of the keyboard keys, I understand, so they'll stay as black buttons.  It wouldn't make sense to me to have the d-pad a different colour to the buttons.

My guess as someone with a 3D printer I have to say most consumer level 3D printers will have trouble printing some of the parts. 
I'm keen to give it a try anyway. Hot pink ABS in a vapor bath for maximum shiny! Ultra tacky!

So the keyboard is black, white and orange... Any other color than black for gaming buttons would be pretty ugly

Well, it's based on the original Pandora design so it's going to be ugly no matter what colour they paint it.

D.

Last edited by a moderator:
The waiting is difficult, but itl be worth it, thanks for the updates.
When it comes to colors, i would prefer Darkblue for the big mould, with black for the small parts and the keymat, and bright blue for the flame logo and the backlight :)

When it comes to colors, i would prefer Darkblue for the big mould, with black for the small parts and the keymat, and bright blue for the flame logo and the backlight :)

I think part of the reason red is a popular choice is because Pyrrha means red, or something.

You can make the logo blue.  The white light of the keyboard LEDs will probably contain plenty of blue, but it will be mixed with other colors.  ED stuck with white keyboard LEDs so that a secondary color could be used without the backlight messing it up.  It may have been cheaper too.  You should be able to swap in some blue if you feel very strongly about it (I wanted red).

Okay, some infos about the case and colors.

I don't know yet what exact colors we can choose from (not all are possible, due to durability), but I'm sure we can still get a lot of different colors.
So it doesn't hurt having a lot of ideas here :)

It will NOT be painted, it will be plastic.

On top of the plastic will most probably be a scratch-resistant coating, which gives the device a slight metallic/shiny look.

I'm personally liking the dark red idea(or any version of red really), or transparent clear. Anything but black, as that is my least favorite color for a handheld. I think the pink suggestion would be better than black, although pink would be my second not wanted color(but before black).

So is there a chance to do more than one color at launch? Or is that not an option until later down the line?

Chris

Well we made some polls allready so it might be black, charcoal-grey or dark red. Would preffer two-tone with top half beige and bottom half either dark-brown or black but this seems to be the minority.

I don't know yet what exact colors we can choose from (not all are possible, due to durability), but I'm sure we can still get a lot of different colors.

On top of the plastic will most probably be a scratch-resistant coating, which gives the device a slight metallic/shiny look.

Are we talking glossy-shiny or plasticy-shiny? Silver pandoras are more plasticy-shiny, while 3DS cover is more glossy-shiny.

I think part of the reason red is a popular choice is because Pyrrha means red, or something.

You can make the logo blue.  The white light of the keyboard LEDs will probably contain plenty of blue, but it will be mixed with other colors.  ED stuck with white keyboard LEDs so that a secondary color could be used without the backlight messing it up.  It may have been cheaper too.  You should be able to swap in some blue if you feel very strongly about it (I wanted red).
Then il settle for white backlight with a blue flame on a blue case with black parts :) , but thats personal desire, il take the Pyra no matter what color it comes in, i just hope there will be a blue fire edition :)

Nice, i would love blue metallic with a blue flame as the logo :)
Blue fire is best fire :) its also hotter :D depending on what is burning ofcourse, such as propane.

Enough discussing, dark red, make it happen. :p

If it needs a scratch resistant coating I should probably rough it up as soon as I get it so I don't baby it, or feel like I am mistreating it when it devolps a very small light scratch like I do when I look at my Pandora.

Back