Waiting in October

7 perpendicular lines. Get it right.  And a balloon in the shape of a kitten.

I changed my mind.  Vantablack and octarine.

Perhaps Black and Red for the color combination? Or is that too obvious?

This has been suggested for a while, at least since the FaeMinx Pyra colour poll I think.

At least no one is asking for camo.

I'd say make it "colorless". Transparent as possible with the coating (at least for the first run of the molds). An then go for painting it from the inside, like it is done with the RC-modellcars with Lexan bodies.

Yes that means disassamble it (or get it disassamble, whatesver is easier for ED). So everybody can have colors whatever you want (even pink), or an airbrush whatever.
If that's impossible for some reason, I'd go for black case and parts in the 2nd keyboard color (not white, red orange? whatever, it#ll match the keymat design. no white for dirt reasons and apple hate).

Oh and if the CAD data for the case is available (at least the outer surfaces, my son might do some Blender renderings)

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting idea, but the current plan is to not paint the case, except for a final transparent hard coat to protect against scratches.  The entire plastic will be coloured.

I suppose an interior coating on a transparent case might be useful to detect, for example the Pandora case flexing and striking that coil under the L trigger.  For testing, but for production I guess coloured plastic will be more robust.  In my previous experience, colourless plastic tends to be more brittle than coloured, although I dare say they've created colourless plastics these days that are reasonably elastic and tough.

Edit: Renderings of the case done different ways would be immeasurably helpful to this discussion, I suspect.  I'm not sure if ED is ready to release the CAD files yet though.

Last edited by a moderator:
With the real Pyra CAD files, I finaly could try to design a case I had in mind. :D   More streamlined and less "bricky". Because I still don't like the old Pandora-case appearence. Pyra deserved to look better (or more expensive actualy).  :rolleyes:

With the real Pyra CAD files, I finaly could try to design a case I had in mind. :D   More streamlined and less "bricky". Because I still don't like the old Pandora-case appearence. Pyra deserved to look better (or more expensive actualy).  :rolleyes:

The Pyra's case is the size and shape it needs to be in order to efficiently contain the volume of it's components.  There are very few 'design choices' beyond softening or sharpening of lines that can be made.  It cannot be thinner, narrower, or contain less depth than it currently has.  It is already the proverbial 10 pounds of shit in a 5 pound bag.

Sharpen the lines and it becomes more expensive looking, and people will complain about it "cutting" their hands and "printing" too much when it's in a pocket.  

Soften the lines and it becomes more comfortable and more amorphous in a pocket, and people will complain about it being "toy like" or "cheap" in appearance.

Now, if you're willing to make the case larger than it needs to be to house it's components, then you have all sorts of design choices that can be made - but personally, I wouldn't want that.

It would be maybe just a little bit longer (5mm?) to contain more curves, nothing to extreme. And when you look how cramped todays smartphones can be in the inside, then you may notice that even the Pandora/Pyra has still some room that contains just pure air. I have the Pandora CAD files at least. The Pyra may have less space inside but for example, the battery alone could have saved some space if it would be part of the backside (like some mobile phones have, at least older Nokia ones) instead of using a battery cover. The Lid could be also a little bit thinner, at least the outside "frame". I've seen Ultrabooks that have a thinner lid.

I just toying around with some "sandwich" design. First ideas but It should be less rounded of course:

Sandwich.jpg

The Pyra's case is the size and shape it needs to be in order to efficiently contain the volume of it's components.  There are very few 'design choices' beyond softening or sharpening of lines that can be made.  It cannot be thinner, narrower, or contain less depth than it currently has.  It is already the proverbial 10 pounds of shit in a 5 pound bag.

Sharpen the lines and it becomes more expensive looking, and people will complain about it "cutting" their hands and "printing" too much when it's in a pocket.  

Soften the lines and it becomes more comfortable and more amorphous in a pocket, and people will complain about it being "toy like" or "cheap" in appearance.

Now, if you're willing to make the case larger than it needs to be to house it's components, then you have all sorts of design choices that can be made - but personally, I wouldn't want that.

hmm, I wouldn't make categorical statements like this - designwise there is a huge number of degrees of freedom, even if fixing the volume of the device - for example only looking at the hinge: you can change the moving part of the hinge, the height of the axes (have it more recessed (just look at the variety in laptop hinges). things like the location of the stylus, whether the screen has an overhang or not, make the body more wedge shaped (in horizontally or vertically. Furthermore, there are fundamental choices like the way the body opens up (right now simple screws, but you could make a sliding design, fixed with only one screw for example). Other things like surface finish can also make a big difference...

Ät Fusionpower:

Your CAD Designs were cool, and i like your DPAD Design, but now discusse eggs, they are allready backed, and far away from undroppet (ungelegt)..

"(Jetzt reden wir über eier, die schon längst gebackt sind, und weit davon entfernt ungelegt zu sein)"

The molds are about to be allready, now whe wait for the first real mouldet parts

Now its inportant, to decide the colour of the plastic "Granulat"..

On the Keyboard Layoat, i like that äöü are only on second layer on the key, so just push fn and the key, to have our faferet umlauts..

(In gärmänü, wü lüķä tö üsä ümläüts thä wöhlè däý ö .. ö )

I'd like to design some kind of sliding case so the keyboard is under an always-exposed screen.  Most sliding keyboards like that are only half the width of the screen though, whereas the Pyra's is the full width, so I'm betting this to be impossible.
Maybe a rotating keyboard like the iCP2 was originally supposed to be...

I'd like to design some kind of sliding case so the keyboard is under an always-exposed screen.  Most sliding keyboards like that are only half the width of the screen though, whereas the Pyra's is the full width, so I'm betting this to be impossible.
Maybe a rotating keyboard like the iCP2 was originally supposed to be...

Not impossible.  It would likely need to be a nested rail system though.  Think of a rail within a rail - server rack mount rails are often like this so that the entire server can be rolled forward in the rack for top-servicing.

Using the current screen design though, it isn't Gorilla Glass or synthetic saphire, so to me the clam shell design works best.  It protects the screen.  I wasn't fond of the OQO sliding mechanism.  It protected the keys and left the fragile display exposed - which meant I needed a hard sided protective sleeve to cover the screen - which meant I had to juggle two things to remove the outer case encasement and juggle two things in order to do a quick-check or data entry.  And that meant that the old flip-up-front Palm Pilot Professional and the Tapwave Zodiac that replaced it were more efficient in mobile work & data entry than the OQO was.

Sliding keyboard mechanisms look cool and are entertaining.  Once you include the needed over-cover, thought, they loose in the practical application of pocket to use to pocket.

Or - if nothing but a full keyboard will work...
http://notebooks.com/2006/11/07/samsung-sph-p9000-folding-mobility/

Yes.  That is silly.  Yes - I wish I had one.  No - I don't have an actual use for one.

Hey ED, molds are about done, what did the stylus end up looking like?  Measurements?
What are the length limitations in the Pyra's stylus slot?  I notice in the current design that the mobile radio may sit in-line to the stylus slot.  Is that the limiting factor?  

And to pre-empt the obvious crude replies - get yer mind out of the gutter.  These are real questions.

Ät Fusionpower:

Your CAD Designs were cool, and i like your DPAD Design, but now discusse eggs, they are allready backed, and far away from undroppet (ungelegt)..

"(Jetzt reden wir über eier, die schon längst gebackt sind, und weit davon entfernt ungelegt zu sein)"

The molds are about to be allready, now whe wait for the first real mouldet parts

Now its inportant, to decide the colour of the plastic "Granulat"..

On the Keyboard Layoat, i like that äöü are only on second layer on the key, so just push fn and the key, to have our faferet umlauts..

(In gärmänü, wü lüķä tö üsä ümläüts thä wöhlè däý ö .. ö )

It's not for the official case of course. I wish it would, but we don't get the official CAD files before the Pyra is finaly released. ^^" So yes, it's to late but if there will be ever a "Pyra 2... ;)

Back