Important color changes

I can instantly spot a non-native speaker because they use "whom" correctly.
I'm a native English speaker, and I tend to use "whom" correctly. I notice some people trying to use it correctly but overdoing it and using "whom" in places where "who" is actually correct.
[doublepost=1516041933,1516041648][/doublepost]
Was true, actually. That only began once Ford developed the assembly line. Before then, black was mandatory because it dried the fastest.

You're correct that it was about the assembly line, but you've got it reversed. Black was implemented because it was the only color that they could use the bakelite process on and have it dry fast enough to work in the assembly line. Toward the end of the Model T's production run, they found a way to use other colors again.

That'd be ramen noodles.

That occurred to me as well. :)

ghosts-n-goblins-zombie.gif
. . . .
alteredbeast26.gif

Zombie ----------- EvilDragon
(Ghost&Goblins) ------- (Witholding News and Mixing Hockey Matches to earn some coin)

Last edited:
I guess it would be a fairly safe assumption that most etymological explanations that only involve a single language are false.
No no no... "News" comes from "Knee ooze", the thing that comes out from knees when a runner/horseman runs into Town with something important to say and falls on his knees (usually prostrating before a King). The bigger the stain on the ground (big knee ooze) the bigger the news. In 2017 the word changed to "fakenews", example: "Did you hear the fakenews today?"

Correct. In Spanish: Noticias (news) is from the same root-word for "notice"... so freely translated "Newsworthy's". While news-paper is called "diario" (the daily)
Japanese, also from the Engrish root: call it ニュース (Nyūsu) and newspaper "Shinbun" (however, not Nyūsu-payperu)
Chinese? 消息 - Xiāoxī and Newspaper is Bàozhǐ
Dutch Nieuws and Krant (newspaper). Krant comes from Courant (French word, which loosely could mean current)
However German: Nachrichten (news, and singular form Nachricht has nothing to do with "Neu" (new) ) and Zeitung (newspaper is not Nachrichtenpapier)...
Commercials in German is Werbung. While it is Commerciales in Spanish. So I suspect Spain, being almost an island, to be more similar to England (the language) that we think.
Portuguese: notícia and Jornal
Oh, and Greek: ειδήσεις (eidíseis... from "He says...") and εφημερίδα (efimerida)

No no no... "News" comes from "Knee ooze", the thing that comes out from knees when a runner/horseman runs into Town with something important to say and falls on his knees (usually prostrating before a King). The bigger the stain on the ground (big knee ooze) the bigger the news. In 2017 the word changed to "fakenews", example: "Did you hear the fakenews today?"

Correct. In Spanish: Noticias (news) is from the same root-word for "notice"... so freely translated "Newsworthy's". While news-paper is called "diario" (the daily)
Japanese, also from the Engrish root: call it ニュース (Nyūsu) and newspaper "Shinbun" (however, not Nyūsu-payperu)
Dutch Nieuws and Krant (newspaper). Krant comes from Courant (French word, which loosely could mean current)
However German: Nachrichten (news, and singular form Nachricht has nothing to do with "Neu" (new) ) and Zeitung (newspaper is not Nachrichtenpapier)...
Commercials in German is Werbung. While it is Commerciales in Spanish. So I suspect Spain, being almost an island, to be more similar to England (the language) that we think.
Oh, and Greek: ειδήσεις (eidíseis... from "He says...") and εφημερίδα (efimerida)

Mabey we should have less news more offen, then I could get smarter from posts like this.:D

Gracias señor, me gusta eso mucho

No no no... "News" comes from "Knee ooze", the thing that comes out from knees when a runner/horseman runs into Town with something important to say and falls on his knees (usually prostrating before a King).
Hmmm, this sounds made up. I am pretty sure "news" comes from the cry of "Noose!" when it was noticed someone was walking toward the gallows with rope. Word was passed throughout town that someone was to be hanged, and many would go to see when they heard the "noose".

Are you familiar with where the term "booty call" comes from?

During the 16th and 17th centuries in seafaring nations, it was a common for pirates to call out and mention treasure to be found to prospective members of the crew.

Hence, the chance to score some treasure became informally known as a "booty call."

maxresdefault.jpg

Hmm... I guess it's a Assembler term to execute (CALL) the first executable instruction in the boot sector? If done on a terminal, it is called booTTY call.
heard the "noose".
Rope was abrasive in those days and made sound when being knotted into a small lasso?

Reactions: ___
Back