Parallel Production and new boards

Please ED, Take my money, as long as the tax office it ditnt got yet..
cant wait to preeorder, but some news about the prototyphe would also be ok now..

I can assure they won't be much cheaper, as that's the cost you have. You got one-time-setup costs, tooling costs, etc.
Also, setting up the production (loading the machines, etc.) takes 8 hours. A machine costs a couple of hundred EUR per hour.

So if only a few are being produced, those high costs derive from those setup costs. Not much you can do.

Shame I really wanted to test a prototype and put it under daily strain to see if issues could/would occur under normal wear and tear.
Someone else will
Honestly doubt somebody is willing to run 2000 euros through the wringer to just *test* the system.. Unless theyr'e rich and that's pocket change... No if the prototypes sell they're probably gonna get snagged up by people who view them as investments then a way to help the projec. I don't mean to be so cynical but at that prices it really removes it out of the grasp of most users... or people like me where that would be over 1/10 of my yearly income...

(I give up. I can't get rid of these no matter what I try!)
Anywho, I think the opposite, the Pyra is a fairly niche product, the people that have the money to buy it and the people with an interest in buying it is going to be a very narrow window.  It'd be a terrible investment, prototype or not the interest simply doesn't exist to make them worth more than they are.  Their value exists solely as "get it before anyone else does".  So the only logical reason why someone would buy a prototype for ridiculous amounts of money is because they genuinely want it and intend to use it, anything else would be a waste.  I think especially pricing it high means that only those that are REALLY interested in it will get one and they will use it accordingly, whereas if it were priced lower you might get people who just decide to purchase it on a whim and it doesn't really get the same use.

I can assure they won't be much cheaper, as that's the cost you have. You got one-time-setup costs, tooling costs, etc.
Also, setting up the production (loading the machines, etc.) takes 8 hours. A machine costs a couple of hundred EUR per hour.

So if only a few are being produced, those high costs derive from those setup costs. Not much you can do.

Shame I really wanted to test a prototype and put it under daily strain to see if issues could/would occur under normal wear and tear.
Someone else will
Honestly doubt somebody is willing to run 2000 euros through the wringer to just *test* the system.. Unless theyr'e rich and that's pocket change... No if the prototypes sell they're probably gonna get snagged up by people who view them as investments then a way to help the projec. I don't mean to be so cynical but at that prices it really removes it out of the grasp of most users... or people like me where that would be over 1/10 of my yearly income...
Dude, every person that is getting a dev device will test it, I have no doubt.  I also highly doubt someone would buy it as an "investment," simply put, a preproduction unit still needs tweaks. Production is usually better. 

Me thinks you just wanted one early, lucky for you you can still get one of the production units.

Someone else will
Dude, every person that is getting a dev device will test it, I have no doubt.  I also highly doubt someone would buy it as an "investment," simply put, a preproduction unit still needs tweaks. Production is usually better. 

Me thinks you just wanted one early, lucky for you you can still get one of the production units.
lets see how many devs take the units out of thier coding space. Let alone outside. I bet the number is fewer then wed hope.

Plus the preorders won't be limited to developers...

(*patting WizardStan on the back* It's okay, many of us are suffering.  If it makes you feel any better it only took me one well placed backspace to get rid of the mess when quoting you, so I think you were on the right track.)

And I bet the number is more than you'd expect.

I really want this to be true.  Since some of us have expressed interest in stress testing maybe some units will get carried around.  I kind of doubt someone paying thousands of euros will intentionally drop it down stairs (can't blame them, I won't want to drop mine down stairs even if I pay much less).

Isn't there supposed to be a lanyard hole on the Pyra? 

People that get pre-production Pyras, please provide plenty of reports pertaining to durability if you happen to carry it with you.

FFS someone write a 'Dummy's Guide' for dealing with the quotes on this new BBS software.  Please?

Years ago when I first asked for a lanyard hole on the Pandora it led to an extensive conversation of people demanding to know why I would want to wear a Pandora around my neck.  It took extensive explanation to get minds wrapped around the idea that a lanyard hole was the same thing that was needed for a simple wrist strap.  Linking to a Nintendo Wii wrist strap picture was what eventually placated the neck-Pandora concerns.

(*patting WizardStan on the back* It's okay, many of us are suffering.  If it makes you feel any better it only took me one well placed backspace to get rid of the mess when quoting you, so I think you were on the right track.)

And I bet the number is more than you'd expect.

I really want this to be true.  Since some of us have expressed interest in stress testing maybe some units will get carried around.  I kind of doubt someone paying thousands of euros will intentionally drop it down stairs (can't blame them, I won't want to drop mine down stairs even if I pay much less).

People that get pre-production Pyras, please provide plenty of reports pertaining to durability if you happen to carry it with you.

For a matter of durability I think it would be better to have a sort of pouch with a lanyard rather than a lanyard hole on the Pyra, but yeah good question for those who expected one!

FFS someone write a 'Dummy's Guide' for dealing with the quotes on this new BBS software.  Please?

Years ago when I first asked for a lanyard hole on the Pandora it led to an extensive conversation of people demanding to know why I would want to wear a Pandora around my neck.  It took extensive explanation to get minds wrapped around the idea that a lanyard hole was the same thing that was needed for a simple wrist strap.  Linking to a Nintendo Wii wrist strap picture was what eventually placated the neck-Pandora concerns.
The quoting thing seems to be really bad for me sometimes than others for no reason I have been able to figure out.  I just delete it all and start over (just had to for your quote) to get it to stop messing up.  Honestly, trying to do pretty quotes is a waste of my time which is why I give up sometimes.  I could throw together a list of tips if I have some free time, but hopefully we will get something different soonish, which is why I haven't yet.  Also, the inconsistency makes it seem pointless.  Sometimes things work, sometimes they don't, and it doesn't seem to matter what browser I use.  Sometimes nested quotes can easily be removed, sometimes it fucks everything up like what we are seeing on this page.

I would love a handful of the original DS wrist straps with the thumb nub stylus thing.  I have just been using 550 cord to make my own.

For a matter of durability I think it would be better to have a sort of pouch with a lanyard rather than a lanyard hole on the Pyra, but yeah good question for those who expected one!
The way I use them at present is to make a wrist strap long enough that it can go around my wrist while in use so I don't fumble and drop it (if I want to use the stylus I run into problems since I keep it short).  For my Pandora I usually do put it in a drawstring pouch if I am out of the house with it.

Anywho, I think the opposite, the Pyra is a fairly niche product, the people that have the money to buy it and the people with an interest in buying it is going to be a very narrow window.  It'd be a terrible investment, prototype or not the interest simply doesn't exist to make them worth more than they are.  Their value exists solely as "get it before anyone else does".  So the only logical reason why someone would buy a prototype for ridiculous amounts of money is because they genuinely want it and intend to use it, anything else would be a waste.  I think especially pricing it high means that only those that are REALLY interested in it will get one and they will use it accordingly, whereas if it were priced lower you might get people who just decide to purchase it on a whim and it doesn't really get the same use.
do you reremember the Pandora?  Someone in our midst sold one of the first ones for 1800 dollars when it was worth 300 dollars. I bet you someone wwould buy them off of me for 2500 if I would buy one for 2k 

;)

The way I use them at present is to make a wrist strap long enough that it can go around my wrist while in use so I don't fumble and drop it (if I want to use the stylus I run into problems since I keep it short).  For my Pandora I usually do put it in a drawstring pouch if I am out of the house with it.
It's quite a good idea to have it as a wrist strap, I didn't think about it, but it would be useful!

The best/nicest wrist strap I've got is the one that came with my Roku remote.

The Wii remote straps are good.

The $5 flashlights from the checkout counter often come with functional ones.

The Pandora has a lanyard/wrist-strap connection on the back lower edge.  It can be a bit of a pain to fish the loop through the 90 degree hole.  A toothpick helps.

@CreatureXL: I remember the Pandora being scarce and people with money who actually wanted it paying excessive amounts of money for it for the purpose of using it.  Now that the Pandora is no longer in high demand do you honestly think you could sell one for more than a few hundred?  Your example actually proves my point.

I think the quoting broke when we went back from enter making paragraph breaks to line breaks. For example hitting enter twice inside a quote no longer breaks it up.

Back