1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice

Important color changes

Discussion in 'Pyra News' started by EvilDragon, Dec 25, 2017.

1. gpsqueeek

gpsqueeek Still Fresh

Hum I guess the news-hungry zombies shouldn't be far now...

Gremblo and error like this.
  2. Xcl4m4t10n

Xcl4m4t10n Very Active Member

News-hungry zombies are all DEAD now... :D.

Gremblo likes this.
  3. spud42

spud42 Very Active Member

no , this.......

4. rygD

rygD Nihilistic Mystic

Odd. Here, at two different locations, they have a cart they throw everything into as they ring it up (some people actually take care not to smash all your food, but other dgaf). You leave your cart for them to throw the stuff into for the next person. They have a table thing for you to pack all your stuff into bags or boxes on the front wall. Not sure why they don't do it like that there.

levi likes this.
  5. Caine

Caine Advanced Member

Gremblo and rygD like this.
  6. rygD

rygD Nihilistic Mystic

FBnil, Gremblo and error like this.
  7. Caine

Caine Advanced Member

Damn you. I intentionally created a link to avoid a large animation smack in the middle of the thread.

8. rygD

rygD Nihilistic Mystic

It is only as wide as the text on my browser. I suppose I could use spoiler tags if it is huge for everyone else.

9. Caine

Caine Advanced Member

It's ok. Don't worry :)

10. levi

levi Still fresh, damnit!

Because of the way I've set up this browser, spoilered stuff just ends up as a black box reserving the space for the unspoilered item. So for me, spoilering stuff brings attention to it, so is only really useful where there's stuff you might actively not want to see.

11. JustSimon

JustSimon Still Fresh

I don't see the advantage of that over reducing the spoiled content to one line of text.
    Or is it just a side-effect of your current setup, that isn't annoying enough to do something about it?

EDIT: Also I'm news-hungry!
    I think I'm gonna turn into one of these zombies soon...

Gremblo and rygD like this.
  12. Silent-Hunter

Silent-Hunter Advanced Member

I think it's going to be a long wait for more news. It's going to take a while until the new CPU boards are ready, and until then I'm not sure much is happening.

Gremblo likes this.
  13. levi

It's a side effect of my limiting of external sites running code on my local machine. This site works almost perfectly without enabling javascript, so I don't normally enable it. That limits the attack surface for almost any exploit, including spectre.

Not enabling javascript breaks dynamic HTML, so pages render their shape only once.

14. sebt3

sebt3 homebrew player (P. & C.)

Spectre (and meltdown) highly depend on a high accuracy clock to work. All major browser have their clock a little less accurate last week to render any attempt of Spectre a failure using javascript.
    Update your browser and you're safe. that's a simple as this

levi likes this.
  15. levi

That's good news. However, it's more than spectre, and I'm not always completely up to date about the latest zero days, so I consider limiting the code I haven't audited on a computer containing private data to be sensible regardless.

But on top of that, it also means my browser runs chewing less CPU cycles, and it largely stops those attempting to mine cryptocurrencies on my hardware (although that tries to run only when you're not actively using the computer, but they say that about virus checkers too...). I find if I ever let too much advertising and other stuff run, it slows down this machine unacceptably.

16. D32_bobjob

D32_bobjob Don't take me to serious!

You are probably not safe after this changes. An attack just needs a little more time to guarantee that the read data is correct. Spectre is a timing attack and as far as I know there exists not even a theory on how to make a program save on affected processors.
    Probably the only way to make data safe from spectre is to not allow random code(JavaScript or similar stuff) to be executed in the same process that is used to store/handle secrets(passwords, keys, ...).
    And meltdown ... well you need a microcode update and that comes from your mainboard supplier, good luck getting support there.
    --- Double Post Merged, Jan 13, 2018, Original Post Date: Jan 13, 2018 ---
    Any programs that run in the background and promis protection from attacks are snake oil IMO, they only increase the attack surface.

17. Letalis Sonus

Letalis Sonus Very Active Member

There's Retpoline. It fixes the issue at compile time by simply avoiding exploitable situations.

Meltdown is a design flaw that happened on such a basic level that it is not fixable through microcode, don't let yourself be fooled by Intel's overwhelmingly shitty PR crap. KPTI and the performance decrease that comes with it are unavoidable on the affected systems.

klapse likes this.
  18. JustSimon

JustSimon Still Fresh

Have you considered a selective script blocker?
    In the old Firefox I used NoScript and now I'm using uMatrix and it keeps all the nasty scripts out while I can still selectively enable scripts from the main website, if I trust it.
    There is a setting to block everything by default and only allow scripts after you have manually enabled them.
    That keeps the web usable for me while killing most (if not all) trackers and ads (since most ads are in JavaScript nowadays).
    I'm not too worried about things that I don't fully understand and Spectre and Meltdown are two of those things.
    I just keep my software up to date and read the tech news semi-regularly.
    Oh yeah, and using Linux reduces the chances of an attack in addition to that (I'm not saying by how much, but there is definitely more malicious software for Windows then for Linux.)

Djoga'Ro likes this.
  19. levi

Yes, it's noscript I'm using. On linux, no ports open, which I update semiregularly and I do subscribe to the security news. It's probably that last bit that's made me go this far but there you go.

20. elwing

elwing Rabbit Addict

Aaar! Neeeewws ! Braainsss !

FBnil, Gremblo, ChunkyPenguin and 2 others like this.