Important color changes

Was true, actually. That only began once Ford developed the assembly line. Before then, black was mandatory because it dried the fastest.

no , this.......

By 1918, half of all the cars in the US were Model Ts. However, it was a monolithic bloc; Ford wrote in his autobiography that in 1909 he told his management team that in the future “Any customer can have a car painted any color that he wants so long as it is black”.[31]

However, in the first years of production from 1908 to 1913, the Model T was not available in black[32] but rather only gray, green, blue, and red. Green was available for the touring cars, town cars, coupes, and Landaulets. Gray was only available for the town cars, and red only for the touring cars. By 1912, all cars were being painted midnight blue with black fenders. Only in 1914 was the "any color so long as it is black" policy finally implemented.

Here, they start tapping their fingers if you spend to long packing before you pay them. If you do pay them before you've finished packing, they'll start ringing the next person's stuff through and there's only a small space so you end up catching your stuff before it falls off the end.

The practical result here is that you spend as long as you dare packing your own stuff before you pay them, and once you've paid them you sweep everything up and swing round and dump it on the windowledges which are behind you. You'll always find a few people finishing up packing on the windowledges.
Odd. Here, at two different locations, they have a cart they throw everything into as they ring it up (some people actually take care not to smash all your food, but other dgaf). You leave your cart for them to throw the stuff into for the next person. They have a table thing for you to pack all your stuff into bags or boxes on the front wall. Not sure why they don't do it like that there.

Lemme help!
TheyAreBillions_RangerUnit_HQ.gif

Damn you. I intentionally created a link to avoid a large animation smack in the middle of the thread.

It is only as wide as the text on my browser. I suppose I could use spoiler tags if it is huge for everyone else.

Because of the way I've set up this browser, spoilered stuff just ends up as a black box reserving the space for the unspoilered item. So for me, spoilering stuff brings attention to it, so is only really useful where there's stuff you might actively not want to see.

Because of the way I've set up this browser, spoilered stuff just ends up as a black box reserving the space for the unspoilered item. So for me, spoilering stuff brings attention to it, so is only really useful where there's stuff you might actively not want to see.

I don't see the advantage of that over reducing the spoiled content to one line of text.
Or is it just a side-effect of your current setup, that isn't annoying enough to do something about it?

EDIT: Also I'm news-hungry!
I think I'm gonna turn into one of these zombies soon...

I think it's going to be a long wait for more news. It's going to take a while until the new CPU boards are ready, and until then I'm not sure much is happening.

I don't see the advantage of that over reducing the spoiled content to one line of text.
Or is it just a side-effect of your current setup, that isn't annoying enough to do something about it?
It's a side effect of my limiting of external sites running code on my local machine. This site works almost perfectly without enabling javascript, so I don't normally enable it. That limits the attack surface for almost any exploit, including spectre.

Not enabling javascript breaks dynamic HTML, so pages render their shape only once.

Spectre (and meltdown) highly depend on a high accuracy clock to work. All major browser have their clock a little less accurate last week to render any attempt of Spectre a failure using javascript.
Update your browser and you're safe. that's a simple as this

That's good news. However, it's more than spectre, and I'm not always completely up to date about the latest zero days, so I consider limiting the code I haven't audited on a computer containing private data to be sensible regardless.

But on top of that, it also means my browser runs chewing less CPU cycles, and it largely stops those attempting to mine cryptocurrencies on my hardware (although that tries to run only when you're not actively using the computer, but they say that about virus checkers too...). I find if I ever let too much advertising and other stuff run, it slows down this machine unacceptably.

You are probably not safe after this changes. An attack just needs a little more time to guarantee that the read data is correct. Spectre is a timing attack and as far as I know there exists not even a theory on how to make a program save on affected processors.
Probably the only way to make data safe from spectre is to not allow random code(JavaScript or similar stuff) to be executed in the same process that is used to store/handle secrets(passwords, keys, ...).
And meltdown ... well you need a microcode update and that comes from your mainboard supplier, good luck getting support there.
[doublepost=1515883249,1515883114][/doublepost]
That's good news. However, it's more than spectre, and I'm not always completely up to date about the latest zero days, so I consider limiting the code I haven't audited on a computer containing private data to be sensible regardless.

But on top of that, it also means my browser runs chewing less CPU cycles, and it largely stops those attempting to mine cryptocurrencies on my hardware (although that tries to run only when you're not actively using the computer, but they say that about virus checkers too...). I find if I ever let too much advertising and other stuff run, it slows down this machine unacceptably.
Any programs that run in the background and promis protection from attacks are snake oil IMO, they only increase the attack surface.

Spectre is a timing attack and as far as I know there exists not even a theory on how to make a program save on affected processors.
There's Retpoline. It fixes the issue at compile time by simply avoiding exploitable situations.

And meltdown ... well you need a microcode update and that comes from your mainboard supplier, good luck getting support there.
Meltdown is a design flaw that happened on such a basic level that it is not fixable through microcode, don't let yourself be fooled by Intel's overwhelmingly shitty PR crap. KPTI and the performance decrease that comes with it are unavoidable on the affected systems.

It's a side effect of my limiting of external sites running code on my local machine. This site works almost perfectly without enabling javascript, so I don't normally enable it. That limits the attack surface for almost any exploit, including spectre.

Not enabling javascript breaks dynamic HTML, so pages render their shape only once.

Have you considered a selective script blocker?
In the old Firefox I used NoScript and now I'm using uMatrix and it keeps all the nasty scripts out while I can still selectively enable scripts from the main website, if I trust it.
There is a setting to block everything by default and only allow scripts after you have manually enabled them.
That keeps the web usable for me while killing most (if not all) trackers and ads (since most ads are in JavaScript nowadays).
I'm not too worried about things that I don't fully understand and Spectre and Meltdown are two of those things.
I just keep my software up to date and read the tech news semi-regularly.
Oh yeah, and using Linux reduces the chances of an attack in addition to that (I'm not saying by how much, but there is definitely more malicious software for Windows then for Linux.)

Yes, it's noscript I'm using. On linux, no ports open, which I update semiregularly and I do subscribe to the security news. It's probably that last bit that's made me go this far but there you go.

Back