Waiting in October

ED Wrote:

In production: Keymat. Three keys already with plastic cap, the mould for space needs to be fixed.We're getting there
I wonder what needs to be fixed about that space bar?  Unless he just means that scruffy bit the black arrow points to - either damage in transit or perhaps the plastic injection point not cleaned properly.

Yep, that scruffy bit. But that's neither transit damage nor uncleaned injection joint, it's an unclean mould that needs to be fixed.

So... time to discuss about colors, eh? :)

EvilDragon, what will the surface texture of the cases be (smooth and shiny, matte and slightly rough, more rough/uneven like a gameboy, etc)?  What colors can they do with the type of plastic that will be used?  Will any colors weaken the case?  What colors would you be interested in?

that keymat looks purty awesome.  from the original texture, one of my concerns was that F10 was bumping into the 0), but from the printed design it looks like there's a bit more space.  It looks very professional!

here's to the kölä layout, hopefully we didn't make too many oüpß-ies!

Black - and certainly not coloured action buttons. Make the device classy or edgy.

Are the clear plastic key caps then installed individually onto the printed keys or molded around them and injected in place or...?  How are they held on/together?

From the photo it looks like the caps fog/blur the text under them, though that may very well be a photo effect of reflection and/or refraction.

That application of individual key caps looks like it may be an expensive process, but it should eliminate the potential for people to wear the markings off the keys.

Any chance of an option of an aluminium case? I know it didn't work out for Pandora but I reckon it would be an appreciated option for Pyra. It fits well with the ethos of the upgradable nature of the Pyra IMHO. What I mean by that is that hopefully a CPU upgrade will be available for Pyra every few years, the enhanced durability of Aluminium could be a real boon if you plan to upgrade in the future.

As for what colour, why not make a poll? You know how we love polls?

Deep purple (near black) and the small parts in dark red for me, but as long as it's not some glossy / slippery fingerprint magnet like so many modern devices I'd be happy with more or less any sensible colour scheme.

As far as I remember the last poll determined that Black
and
Dark Red were the only serious considerations.

However, I believe another poll is pointless until we know what our options are?

and

However, I believe another poll is pointless until we know what our options are?

Well I said any color is fine as long as it's black...
Or Wizardstan's pink suggestion.

Last edited by a moderator:
As far as I remember the last poll determined that BlackandDark Red were the only serious considerations.However, I believe another poll is pointless until we know what our options are?

Black isn't a color.
Sure pure black isn't... Nothing in nature is purely black... Well maybe a black hole.

and

Black isn't a color.
Sure pure black isn't... Nothing in nature is purely black... Well maybe a black hole.
We need vantablack.

As far as I remember the last poll determined that BlackandDark Red were the only serious considerations.However, I believe another poll is pointless until we know what our options are?

Black isn't a color.
We need vantablack.
So - where is the Pyra?  Just look for the absence of anything...  How to make marketing photos of something that reflects no light...?  It's actual shape would only be discernible by touch - visually it would simply look like a hole to hell sitting on on a desk.  Since it's a 3D object, changing the viewer's perspective would make said hole to hell move and wiggle.  Where do I sign up for that?

On a more practical note - case plastics in dark red.  Buttons and controls all in black.  Very classy, yet not all black.

and

Black isn't a color.
We need vantablack.
So - where is the Pyra?  Just look for the absence of anything...  How to make marketing photos of something that reflects no light...?  It's actual shape would only be discernible by touch - visually it would simply look like a hole to hell sitting on on a desk.  Since it's a 3D object, changing the viewer's perspective would make said hole to hell move and wiggle.  Where do I sign up for that?

On a more practical note - case plastics in dark red.  Buttons and controls all in black.  Very classy, yet not all black.

Not to mention the glowing logo would be completely suspended in 'the void'... like a weird eye...

Not to mention the glowing logo would be completely suspended in 'the void'... like a weird eye...

That would look AWESOME.

Wasn't there some new meta-material that got pretty close to absolute blackness...?

Back