Parallel Production and new boards

In my experience, the best test for screen responsiveness is the overworld in venture.  Cannot see that little red dot for the life of me half the time on my Pandora's screen.
mqdefault.jpg

In my experience, the best test for screen responsiveness is the overworld in venture.  Cannot see that little red dot for the life of me half the time on my Pandora's screen.
mqdefault.jpg

Sonic might be a good test for speed. But all 8 - bit games (using dithering in the gfx) look bad on the Pandora when scrolling. Really annoying. 

5 - 8 (depending on the failure rate in production) of those units will be sold for about 1600 - 2000 EUR (we don't have the final production cost price yet).

I hope the production prototypes are much cheaper.. because at that cost theres now way I could afford it.. I want to be able to test a prototype to help the team but I'm sadly not made of money. If I was from a rich family where that money was sneezing money well I imagine quite bit of this project would have been paid for.

I can assure they won't be much cheaper, as that's the cost you have. You got one-time-setup costs, tooling costs, etc.
Also, setting up the production (loading the machines, etc.) takes 8 hours. A machine costs a couple of hundred EUR per hour.

So if only a few are being produced, those high costs derive from those setup costs. Not much you can do.

Sorry for ask the same again but did the Pyra team mind on a crowdfunding in order to low the prices of the final product or still only preorders?

I can assure they won't be much cheaper, as that's the cost you have. You got one-time-setup costs, tooling costs, etc.
Also, setting up the production (loading the machines, etc.) takes 8 hours. A machine costs a couple of hundred EUR per hour.

So if only a few are being produced, those high costs derive from those setup costs. Not much you can do.

Real shame.. for that price I could paying for life expenses.. and such.. thats just way too out of my price range to even consider :(  I'd have to sell alot of things I own to even get close.. including all three of my pandoras and a car. That's 1788$ on the cheap end... that's quite of bit money. Shame I really wanted to test a prototype and put it under daily strain to see if issues could/would occur under normal wear and tear.

Sorry for ask the same again but did the Pyra team mind on a crowdfunding in order to low the prices of the final product or still only preorders?

IMHO, crowdfunding *is* sort of preorder... Just through a $wellknown portal (which keeps ~5% for their operations). So KS is an eBay with delayed shipment and (limited) money-back guarantee.
And it has no influence where you order. The only difference is how many people order in total. The more, the higher the buying power and the lower the final price.

Last edited by a moderator:

IMHO, crowdfunding *is* sort of preorder... Just through a $wellknown portal (which keeps ~5% for their operations). So KS is an eBay with delayed shipment.
And it has no influence where you order. The only difference is how many people order in total. The more, the higher the buying power and the lower the final price.
I consider it more like a donation where you are promised a gift if things work out.

Crowdfunding IS a bit different.
It's huge advertisement as well, it might attract some guys who have a lot of money who can simply put in 10,000 EUR or more if they like, etc.

And money is only transferred from your account when the crowdfunding was successful, thus giving a BIT more safety to the users.

Crowdfunding IS a bit different.
It's huge advertisement as well,
it might attract some guys who have a lot of money who can simply put in 10,000 EUR or more if they like, etc.

And money is only transferred from your account when the crowdfunding was successful, thus giving a BIT more safety to the users.

Yes, the advertisement is what you get for the 5%. But is it really "huge" any more? There are submitted thousands of projects every day and every one is "just another one". Like thousands of offers on eBay, Amazon or Alibaba.

And I have rarely seen that guys really put in 10.000 EUR or more for projects (even if every campaign offers an exclusive dinner with the project initiator). Even the Ubuntu Edge did only attract 12 pledges above 1.000 USD. But such generous people (e.g. lottery winners) can also directly stumble unexpectedly at your online or even physical shop.

Being a bit safer for the users is what I had tried to express with the "(limited) money-back guarantee".

Well, my view is a quite business theoretical one, from company point of view... About how sales channels are (or can be) organised. Then you offer a money-back guarantee. From a user's point of view it is more safety.

Anyways, you (ED) need multiple sales channels with different attributes and rules. One is your shop (maybe with preorders) and one are crowdfunding platforms. Maybe others (Resellers in other continents). So one approach does not exclude the other :) As long as it raises the total number of Pyras that can be build.

There are submitted thousands of projects every day and every one is "just another one". 
I still can't find many "just another one" Pandora/Pyra
Yes, fortunatley :)

But you and me, we already know about it and everything else that exists. And we know that it is the best one in all categories we can think of.

For some crowd member who has never heard of (and is *not* specifically looking for a small, nice powerful console with many other features), it is "just another gadget" asking for money.
The key question in marketing is how a product can stand out of the thousands of others and be attractive to those who have no idea yet what it is and which alternatives could exist.

So what I want to note is that on crowdfunding platforms it is (initially) just one project amongst many others in the category "technology". What makes the Pyra rise in visibility? Well, the campaign must go viral...

Shame I really wanted to test a prototype and put it under daily strain to see if issues could/would occur under normal wear and tear.
Someone else will

Hi folks, I'v been a bit quiet lately and am coming out of the woodworks again to see whats up .. ED, any chance you can update us on the situation with the iCP2 orders - if I recall correctly there was some plan to credit the iCP2 backers somewhat towards the Pyra project - is this still on the table, and if so what does it involve?  I remember being asked if I wanted a refund for the iCP2 or if I would be satisfied with crediting the iCP2 funds towards the Pyra - please correct me if I'm wrong or have the details confused.  Would very much like to have been a Pyra backer all along.

Hi folks, I'v been a bit quiet lately and am coming out of the woodworks again to see whats up .. ED, any chance you can update us on the situation with the iCP2 orders - if I recall correctly there was some plan to credit the iCP2 backers somewhat towards the Pyra project - is this still on the table, and if so what does it involve?  I remember being asked if I wanted a refund for the iCP2 or if I would be satisfied with crediting the iCP2 funds towards the Pyra - please correct me if I'm wrong or have the details confused.  Would very much like to have been a Pyra backer all along.

Yes, that's still planned, need to set that up with Link still.

Thanks for the confirmation ED, back to lurker mode for me .. great to see you're doing as great a job as ever, you really are an awesome person.  

Back