Waiting in October

Only after the RAM quantity is decided. ;)  (To be more clear, I am joking.  Unless ED states otherwise I expect 2GB.)

I've recently been doing stuff on my pi2 and aside the pain of no Xorg 3d support (oh for glx...!) it's amazing how quickly even 1GB can seem crowded...

I'm hoping we wont have to suffer beige or white for the case... my own preference would be a deep (fairly dark) red that's nice and mat with just a slightly textured (not smooth) surface

I can see that not being to everyones taste! I do wonder if people think it needs to be distinct from the Pandoras look or if black really is the new beige >:)

The small parts are the things listed in the first paragraph by ED that you quoted.
Oh, duhhh... I totally misread that as being a third category :p  (as in Nubs/Dpad/shoulders, big parts and the small parts).

Thanks, it totally makes sense now.

<edit>I don't understand how the quoting system works since the update...That should have been a quote from rygD alone</edit>

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not certain that lessons really have been learned from the abysmal 1GHz case colour. For god's sakes PLEASE do not go with that awful silver colour again.

D.

I'd prefer Matte Black, like my Rebirth-edition Pandora, my desktop PC, and the IBM Thinkpads I grew up on.

Of all the colours I've seen or imagined a plastic case being, it just feels the classiest and most amenable to being pulled out to show to arbitrary non-retro-gamer people.

(Sort of like how, for my WinXP-era retro-gaming PC, I chose a Lenovo 3000 J series because IBM NetVista cases don't take ATX PSUs and the only other alternatives were "Buy me! I'm a consumer product!" Compaq PCs or stuff using cheap $30 "teenage gamer's first PC" DIY cases.)

I suggest using a dark case color since the inner screen bezel is moulded together with the rest of the case.

Notice how the original Nintendo 3DS, like the old Game Boys, has a black bezel around the screen:

Yui Ehara said:
We really wanted the 3D screen to look good, so we adopted a full-surface screen cover and made the base colour black.
Source: http://www.nintendo.co.uk/NOE/en_GB/news/iwata/iwata_asks_-_nintendo_3ds_30756_31376.html

Dark dark velvety matte grey.

Something like the lower half of the Pyra case print that has been presented at Gamescom?

This month is going to be hard for forum members... Well ED, at least you can take a deep breath and/or begin planning the preorders!

My choice of colour would be black or very dark grey for the small parts (dpad, nubs and shoulder buttons), and black, very dark grey, or very dark red (up to 2f0000) for the case.

The case and its colors

The layout of the moulds has been fixed, which means we can also think about colors.
The nubs, DPad and shoulder buttons will all share one mould, so they will all have the same color.

The big case parts will also share one mould, so they will also have the same color.

That means the small parts can have a different color than the main case color.
So... time to discuss about colors, eh? :)

Can you get some material samples before we choose the color? Things like surface texture, dull or glossy, metallic effect, can have a bigger impact on the appearence. What about the old idea  with carbon enhanced plastic etc.? All in all the plastic should be more rigid and rugged than the brittle one from the Pandora case.

Nice Video by the way, the CPU PCB is indeed complex, no wonder the factory went pale when they've seen that thing. A miracle that it seem to work at all. ^^"

Would be great if ED calculates the cost of those case molds fully in the Pyra price. And could sell addictional cases in lower prices (production + profit - mold) with maybe different colors. So that anyone have the cheap option to change the case (stylish crowd will be see it also as an accessoir) and a bigger casemodder group could established.

Color: you have my trust

Is there any chance of doing multiple batches in different colours?   Say for example 2500  cases in one colour and 2500 cases in another as opposed to just 5000 in one colour?  

If that's in any way practical you could then offer multiple colour schemes by mix and matching the parts.   (they'd have to be compatible colours for it to work though)

-Neelix

I suggest using a dark case color since the inner screen bezel is moulded together with the rest of the case.

Notice how the original Nintendo 3DS, like the old Game Boys, has a black bezel around the screen:

Except that the old GameBoys had a grey bezel. Not even dark grey, just plain grey :)

Except that the old GameBoys had a grey bezel. Not even dark grey, just plain grey :)

...aren't all the Game Boy models "old" by now?

The late "Micro" Game Boy model didn't have a black bezel either, Nintendo changed their "product design" at that time. Possibly the bezel was considered "unfashionable" by then, but that's just my speculation, I don't really know.

Then the black screen bezel was resurrected for the original 3DS.

Black on Black! If small parts are in a different color , small parts have to be darker than big parts IMO. Because majority want a very dark color and a dark color with small lighter part isn't classy. In this case I'd suggest Dark grey with Black buttons.

@EvilDragon Do the keys will be the same colors as big parts or small parts?

I just wanted to make sure everyone saw the keymat pic ED posted on twitter:
CQo7LriUwAEh5-c.jpg

Back