Those "extra" Units Mentioned In The Newsletter?

the emails seem to take thier time, i emailed all of the ones, and got contact from the openpandora one first, but the gp2x one was quicker and i paid for my preorder through that one. Just over £300. I feel quite happy to be getting one from the first batch, i hope its before xmas, i really cant wait.

now to grab some open gl books and learn some coding, i know a little c++, but not enuff to make a game, silly question here buy im guessing there would be no way to port a game made in dark basic, im decent at that ?

stephen0205 said:
the emails seem to take thier time, i emailed all of the ones, and got contact from the openpandora one first, but the gp2x one was quicker and i paid for my preorder through that one. Just over £300. I feel quite happy to be getting one from the first batch, i hope its before xmas, i really cant wait.

now to grab some open gl books and learn some coding, i know a little c++, but not enuff to make a game, silly question here buy im guessing there would be no way to port a game made in dark basic, im decent at that ?
Nope, Dark Basic doesn't even work in x86 with Wine. Enjoy C++ or whatever you decide to work with. It's much more rewarding than these game-oriented scripting languages in the long run, in my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:
I sent my email on the 3rd October, heard back today with my Google Checkout invoice. Paid in full.

Very happy that I managed to get in the first batch, was worried for a bit there. Good luck to everyone else still waiting, they are working through their list methodically.

Dead1nside said:
I sent my email on the 3rd October, heard back today with my Google Checkout invoice. Paid in full.

Very happy that I managed to get in the first batch, was worried for a bit there. Good luck to everyone else still waiting, they are working through their list methodically.
Did that email contain your details for processing the order? Just trying to get an estimate of how long I should expect to wait ;)

DEAT said:
Did that email contain your details for processing the order? Just trying to get an estimate of how long I should expect to wait ;)

Well basically, my email that I sent on the 3rd contained exactly what I wanted and I asked them to generate an invoice for me. So they replied to my message answering a few of my short questions and also sent out an invoice for the exact amount, at the same time.

I would think that if you're asking for an invoice, then you're basically assured one. I was given my invoice number in the former email.

... sorry I think I'm over complicating that. Hope that helps.

Well like a fool I sent an enquiring email like many others. Got my reply this morning.

I've just spent the last hour duct-taping myself to a chair to keep myself from sending off my details and ordering. *twitch* All I need now is for people to stop reminding me of all the reasons I want a Pandora (SO BAD), how much cool stuff I can do with it, how affordable it is (for me) and how imminent its arrival is. *twitch*

If someone could organise to distract the forum with a flamewar about... oh I dunno... the GP2X joystick (that'll do), then I'll be free to come here and not get tempted. *twitch*

*strains against bonds*

If I can just hold off long enough, then all the pre-orders will be taken and the choice will be made for me. Win/win! *twitch*

Damn. Talk about the call of the One Handheld To Rule Them All. (Does using a LOTR reference to talk about a niche handheld gaming console count as some sorta geekgasm?)

*twitch*

Line O said:
Well like a fool I sent an enquiring email like many others. Got my reply this morning.

I've just spent the last hour duct-taping myself to a chair to keep myself from sending off my details and ordering. *twitch* All I need now is for people to stop reminding me of all the reasons I want a Pandora (SO BAD), how much cool stuff I can do with it, how affordable it is (for me) and how imminent its arrival is. *twitch*

If someone could organise to distract the forum with a flamewar about... oh I dunno... the GP2X joystick (that'll do), then I'll be free to come here and not get tempted. *twitch*

*strains against bonds*

If I can just hold off long enough, then all the pre-orders will be taken and the choice will be made for me. Win/win! *twitch*

Damn. Talk about the call of the One Handheld To Rule Them All. (Does using a LOTR reference to talk about a niche handheld gaming console count as some sorta geekgasm?)

*twitch*

The only thing that was holding me back was the slightly bumped up price compared to how much I *thought* it was when I was considering ordering awhile ago. Even still, worth every penny. They've got one of the most important things right - battery life - even my laptop doesn't have a battery that big!

Gruso said:
Line O said:
*prod*
Stop that. ...or I'll mention the State Of Origin.

Seriously though, I keep reading and rereading the email from Jacquelyn, adding an accessory here, changing shipping there, checking exchange rates, checking prices of high(er) capacity SD cards...

This was all a whole lot easier when they were sold out. :)

Line O said:
Gruso said:
Line O said:
*prod*
Stop that. ...or I'll mention the State Of Origin.

Seriously though, I keep reading and rereading the email from Jacquelyn, adding an accessory here, changing shipping there, checking exchange rates, checking prices of high(er) capacity SD cards...

This was all a whole lot easier when they were sold out. :)

If it's so perfect and is so affordable for you, why do you keep restraining yourself?

Dam I brought mine when the exchange rate was 68 cents. This was back in March and I thought they wouldn't be taking preorder after April so I thought I had to buy it at that time.

Why restrain?
  • It's affordable in as much as I have the money to spend on it. It's still the better part of 500 bucks though, and that's significant.
  • I'm not a natural Early Adopter. Early adopting is for chumps (in the nicest possible way). It's more sensible for me to wait until the second batch if for that reason alone.
  • As cool as it is, this is about as luxury a Luxury Item as I ever buy. There's no part of my life that will be missing out if I go without a Pandora for a few months more.
  • I already have a GP2X (F100) to serve my mobile retro emulation homebrew needs. It's no Pandora, but it's still pretty friggin' sweet, and I already own it.
So that's the Sensible LineOf7s' side of the story.

On the other hand: ZOMFG 90cents to the US dollar!! Exclusive niche product!! Support the underdog!! Pandora!! Wi-fi touchscreen keyboard dual-SD mega-battery big-screen small-size super-powered goodness!!!!111oneoneeleven

So, that's the position I find myself in. And to illustrate how precariously I'm balanced, by the end of that first list I'd decided not to, but by the end of the pro-list I'd decided again to go ahead.

Bring on the duct tape.

I'll be the devil on your shoulder - I'm sure there are enough people who will be the angel. (I'm generally one of them, btw.)

If you get one and it turns out that you really didn't have the money to afford it (or you feel like you need the money for something else), I wouldn't be surprised if you could get the money back by selling it on eBay.

(Just putting that out there. I'd rather you not be sad later having passed up a chance to purchase and regretting it. Also, for what it's worth, I'm not a natural first-batcher either. I decided though that this was one product that was worth jumping into early and supporting heavily.)

Gruso said:
The Aussie dollar is buying 90c US this afternoon. There has never been a better time for an Aussie to buy a Pandora!
Damn straight, I just sent my money as a bank transfer :D

$450 including fees and Commonwealth's exchange rate, but I am totally not complaining.

Back