The Caring Corner :)

99.9 degrees Fahrenheit just now. @Null will probably call me a failure.

cAMfhyL9.png

I was so tired on Wednesday that I didn’t meet my goals of hygiene, chores, and grocery shopping. I didn’t get my weekly cash because of it, and in turn didn’t see my family like I usually do. This also led to me not having a full meal since Tuesday, as far as I recall, since I ran out of food.

Now, here’s the weird part I want to discuss. I haven’t been hungry since Tuesday either. Nifedipine does have “full feeling” listed as a side effect, and I think it’s been hitting me hard. Some googling also led me to a study where nifedipine caused obese animals to lose weight. I wonder how long this can last though. Everyone needs food eventually, right? I’ll probably start having cramps before the next time I can get weekly cash, which is Wednesday.

They say the form of nifedipine I’m taking, extended release, has milk sugar in it. I wonder how many calories it is.

What form are you talking the nifedipine in? If it's a liquid small drink then most of it could be milk sugar dissolved in water or something equally biocompatible. But if it's a pill then for normal sizes of pills I'd put the maximum at about half a dozen grams. Lactose is a sugar but it's probably not a powerful as sucrose, so it's probably only equivalent 60% sugar or something like that.

I had caffeine at a restaurant yesterday, and now it’s almost 1:30 in the morning, and I haven’t slept yet.

On the bright side, I’ve been kinda giddy the whole time.

This nifedipine is doing jack for my blood pressure. 155 over 101 this morning. I see the doctor again on Monday; they may have to increase my dose.

I stayed up all night, and all I have to show for it is like 20 lines of code in Love2D. I'm impressed by how many hours it takes me to figure out the simplest things. I couldn't be dumber.

Pro tip: For pixel games, the scaling filter has to be set before any textures are created, including the font. That, and if you want the font to have zero anti-aliasing, you set the hinting to 'mono'.

I'm torn on the use of caffeine. On the one hand, I was unafraid to code last night for the first time in ages. On the other hand, I was really paranoid and afraid I was going to die at one point.

The thing is, I read about this Korean dude who played an MMO for three straight days, then dropped dead. I guess I can avoid that if I just sleep every other night though, right? Nah, I'm probably gonna throw the caffeine out, which sucks 'cause it cost me over three dollars.

I'm torn on the use of caffeine. On the one hand, I was unafraid to code last night for the first time in ages. On the other hand, I was really paranoid and afraid I was going to die at one point.

The thing is, I read about this Korean dude who played an MMO for three straight days, then dropped dead. I guess I can avoid that if I just sleep every other night though, right? Nah, I'm probably gonna throw the caffeine out, which sucks 'cause it cost me over three dollars.
You should try to sleep every day though. I have the feeling a day should be 26h instead of just 24h, but I still think getting your sleep each day is best.
The coffee will stay good for a while, can't you store it somewhere out of sight and use it on special occasions?

I enjoy coding in the evening, maybe you do to. Just keep time in mind, as getting sleepy will cause your code quality to drop a lot.

Reactions: rSl
I'm impressed by how many hours it takes me to figure out the simplest things. I couldn't be dumber.
No, you just didn't have the minimum hours in, yet.

Picasso was at a Paris market when an admirer approached and asked if he could do a quick sketch on a paper napkin for her.
Picasso politely agreed, promptly created a drawing, and handed back the napkin — but not before asking for a million Francs.
The lady was shocked: “How can you ask for so much? It took you five minutes to draw this!”
“No”, Picasso replied, “It took me 40 years to draw this in five minutes.”

So it took you a few hours to code 20 lines of code. Still better than Picasso, who took 40 years to do some lines in 5 minutes.

The other example I can give you is speed running a game. If the speedrun takes 5 minutes. How long do you think that person that can do that speedrun in 5 minutes has been playing that game? 5 minutes only?

It goes also the other way around as well (sunken costs). Where I rather program something in old language X because it takes me 5 minutes, instead of doing it in shiny new language Y, where I need to also learn during the weekend because its "personal study time".

And last weekend I had the same problem. I wanted a piece of C code to have parameters, but not segfault if the parameters were wrong. Well, it turns out that atoi() is pretty stupid and does not take a default value, nor a mask nor is there an easy way to detect isNumberFloat(). So you have to, well, code in a low level way to do those checks.

Another thing I found is that I have been living under a rock. The binaries now are dynamically relocatable, which is more secure, but increases the binary size yet again (like when we went from 32 bit to 64 bit binaries)

clickat: ELF 64-bit LSB pie executable, x86-64, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked, interpreter /lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2, for GNU/Linux 3.2.0,stripped. 15kb
clickat.old: ELF 64-bit LSB executable, x86-64, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked, interpreter /lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2, for GNU/Linux 2.6.32, not stripped, 9.4kb

An explanation what PIE is:

And I still need to find out if that means that some of my cheat software (to give infinite lives by writing to a certain memory address) now does not work anymore at all, or needs to be modified to work...

And I still need to find out if that means that some of my cheat software (to give infinite lives by writing to a certain memory address) now does not work anymore at all, or needs to be modified to work...
Probably won't work any more, unless if modifies the file before it's loaded to memory. Once it's in memory (a) you don't know exactly where it's been loaded to and (b) the kernel should have marked it as read only to stop certain hacks working.

Hey, if coffee is a diuretic, it should lower my blood pressure, right? I want to believe.

I'm actually a bit worried. Saw the doctor today, and they didn't change my dose or add anything. Just another follow-up in a month. I wasn't kidding about that 101 diastolic two days ago. It got down in the eighties at the doctor today, but it's mostly been in the nineties according to the daily checks I've had. I'm not sure giving nifedipine more time to work will really help. It has a super short half-life, so it should have been at full strength within a few days.

I actually read that caffeine causes blood pressure to temporarily spike, but the effect varies by person. I went back to drinking regular coffee today, hopefully I can tolerate it.

It's funny, I can't get myself to worry about my heart health. Mostly I've been worrying about secondary hypertension, which would be either kidney disease or a tumor on my adrenal or pituitary gland. I know I should probably just lose weight, but that's easier said than done.

I threw out my regular coffee, and I just have the decaf now. I'm looking into natural supplements that might benefit me more than caffeine does. I was going to try L-theanine. You guys have any experience with it? Apparently, it's supposed to go with caffeine, but I'm kinda sick of the stuff, so hopefully the amount in my decaf is enough. L-theanine comes from tea, and tea usually contains less caffeine than coffee anyway.

L-theanine. You guys have any experience with it?

jep, i get my daily dose by drinking a nice japanese sencha.
for me the balance of l-theanine and caffeine is verry pleasant. it energizes and calms down at the same time,
so you get in that 'meditative' state verry quickly without being tired and not being rushy at all.
personally i would not take it as a supplement because freshly brewed tea tastes so nice and i think there is
a lot more in the leafs that can benefit health.

e.g. i _love_ this one for giving me 'sleep' without sleeping. it feels natural and refreshes just like a nap without the waking up phase.

more...

Well, I took my first dose of L-theanine seven hours ago, and all it did was make me sleep. That's what I get for taking it in the evening.

Edit: I hear theanine has a short half-life, so I think I’ll take more after 6 AM.

Last edited:
I took more theanine around 5:30 AM or so, I think.

This stuff just isn't knocking. I'll maybe try taking more in a few hours, but I wonder if I'm just tolerant of it. I did learn today from looking at my genetic data again that I metabolize caffeine more quickly than the slight majority of the population.

Back